AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a shootout between these 2 projectors? I have read the projectorcentral under $5K projector report, but it doesn't compare them directly. I understand the differences in lumens and contrast, heavily favoring the Sanyo, but for anyone who has seen these two projectors, is the additional cost of the XP21N worth it?

Unfortunately, I find that dlp, even with increased color wheels, still plagues me with rainbows, although the faster color wheels has made a noticeable improvement. On the other hand, I value the benefits of high contrast and low screendoor. Perhaps what has scared me the most about lcd is dead pixels, but rainbows are simply too intense for me. Would anyone comment on their experience with recent dead pixel issues related to either of these machines.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Unless there's been a drastic price drop on the xp21n, you're talking twice the price. If you have no way of light controlling your room, and needed the 2500 lumens, that would be the only reason I personally would consider the xp21n over the 75u. Coincidently, I missed getting a used xp21n with 80 hours for $2000 by about 6 hours. Someone replied to an add before me and got it for $2250 shipped :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly don't need 2500 lumens, and I wonder if although the Sanyo has better contrast, would the overall black be lighter in comparison to the 75U as a result of this.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If the projector produces more light than needed you can use a neutral density filter to reduce the onscreen light output while improving black levels at the same time. This would be a good option for a high output projector like the xp21n.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Most people seem to recomend and external scaler with the Sanyo. You should research that and figure it into the cost difference if you think you'll go that way.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The XP21N definitely needs an external scaler. I started out with the Quadscan and migrated to the Faroudja NRS.

Even at under $4500 for the projector alone, the combo of projector and scaler is definitely not in the budget category.

If I were buying today, I'd go for a lower cost setup and wait for the next generation or two of projectors before spending big bucks. The technology is moving forward at warp speed right now, with the HD2 DLP about to surface and Epson and Sanyo working on higher contrast LCD, to name a few. The next generation Marantz, for example, will probably have 1200 lumens brightness, contrast ratio in excess of 1600:1, and completely eliminate the need for an external scaler. At today's price or less.

Dan

·
Registered
133 Posts
I recently was favoring the 21N until reading about the 711xu and 75u.

The reason I am now favoring the 711xu is that it has a low bulb mode which really brings down bulb cost compared to the 21N. If the 21N is too bright you use a filter but waste the bulb with the 711xu you can double bulb life by running it at a lower setting when you want (perfect for me because while I have complete light control sometimes I want to leave some on).

In addition the panasonics have a 4:3 small mode. I like this aspect because it allows me to use the money I saved buying the 711xu on a nice Da Lite 16:9 HCCV screen. I plan on keeping the screen far longer than the projector. S4:3 mode also allows me to display poorer quality signals (cable) smaller and allows more of an impact when movies are shown full size on the 16:9 screen.

Sorry I can't give you a visual comparison. For me it came down to the fact that both are 4:3 XGA projectors and when 16:9 true higher resolution light cannons come out later I will want to upgrade. So I decided to save money now as Dan says.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I belive the small mode is for svideo only.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Huh?

4:3s is for s-video only? Are you sure? I seem to recall being able to toggle through on my component input...I'll check later tonight

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Confirmed....Not all signals though.

According to the manual (pg 34-35) it can be used on Video/S-Video/YPbPr signals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.