AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a list of which DVD players can output 768p?

Can they do it via DVI and/or component?

Do they have the DCDI chip?

Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
The only one I know of (so far) is the to be released Samsung 941 DVD. It has HDMI output and will have the DCDi chip.

· Registered
963 Posts
It has been reported that the Samsung HD841 has a 768p option, but this hasn't been 100% confirmed. The 841 does not have DCDi, and will not upconvert via component.

The Momitsu V880 and V880N allow custom settings via DVI, including 1280x768p and 1366x768p, but don't support those resolutions over component and don't include DCDi.

· Registered
15,715 Posts
Dumb question, not trying to be a smart-aleck:

What's 768p and what's the point? Thanks! I have never heard of it...

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Q of BanditZ,

768p is the native resolution of my LCD display. I'm under the impression that I will get a better picture if I let the DVD player do the scaling, not the internal scaler on my tv.

· Registered
1,662 Posts
The Momitsu V-880 can output 768p via DVI and is available right now. If component feed is important, it can be provided by using a dvi-vga adapter and a vga-component cable.

It has a Sigma chip, not dcdi, but its picture quality has been rated higher than Samsung or LG/Zenith.

The Bravo D1 also has custom settings available that one could set to 768p. The Bravo D1 is no longer being sold however.

· Registered
2,457 Posts
Bravo's can be programmed to a specific custom resolution if you have the proper information about your projector.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Quote:
its picture quality has been rated higher than Samsung or LG/Zenith
Who has rated the Momitsu higher than the Samsung or the Zenith?

· Registered
1,662 Posts

· Registered
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick TX
Who has rated the Momitsu higher than the Samsung or the Zenith?
People here.. And I'm one of them..

I've got both V880 and hd-931, V880 has no black and white crush.

And You can see more detail on Black and white levels.

Ok hd-931 handles flags better than the V880, but V880 has better mpeg decoder than 931.

Baja

· Registered
2,265 Posts
I was actually wondering about professional reviews, not people who happen to have a Momitsu. Secrets needs to review these newer players. I would be interested in the outcome. I have tried the 931, Bravo, and the Zenith. IMO, the Zenith is the winner (in my setup). I am using these upconvert players with a GWIII and a Pioneer Elite Pro 630. I found no "crush" in the Zenith at all. I did have to recalibrate with Avia like a MoFo though.

· Registered
714 Posts
Patrick,

Are you using the DVB-318 via component or DVI? because with component it does not have the crush issue, but with DVI it has crush white. But other than that, the 318 is one of the best player that is avaliable now IMO.

The secrects review has the hd931 score really high; but not the D1, reason I mention this is because D1 use the same sigma 8500 chipset as the V880 - Yes DCDi handles de-interlacing flags better than the sigma design, but the mepg decoder, entire design and implementation also has a lot to do in picture quality too.

What I'm trying to say is that - even though Secrects score 931 higher than the D1 (sigma chipset), the picture quality of V880 still blows 931 away. And this's not just me saying this, many people here also has both 931, V880 and other up-convert players that they also think the same way too.

Baja

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.