AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After today’s shootout by VE, would you compromise on size and save money for an overall better PQ in the A8H at 65”? Or would you keep the larger real estate at 77”. PQ only wise, not factoring gaming features. Thoughts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
After today’s shootout by VE, would you compromise on size and save money for an overall better PQ in the A8H at 65”? Or would you keep the larger real estate at 77”. PQ only wise, not factoring gaming features. Thoughts?
Not when they share 99% similarity and the 1% are plus and minus for different categories.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Absolutely not, the picture quality isn't close to making up for a 40% difference in screen area. We will see what other pro reviewers and shootouts have to say about how the 2 displays stack up. My C9 would never go back for a lesser size display, makes such a difference in the viewing experience and the picture looks great.

Reactions: Sonyboy and chunon

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
followup

Keep the GX for the size.
D-Nice, I know you and I have touched on this subject before, but (aside from LG/SONY) in terms of "picture quality" of someone watching 1080i broadcast (say college football), isn't that smaller (65" screen) picture going to show sharper than a 77" with same 1080i material on it ? That has generally been my understanding, at least with "stretching" that 1080i material out there.

I know with 4K material, there is no question that for the "impact" factor, 77" is way to go...sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,805 Posts
D-Nice, I know you and I have touched on this subject before, but (aside from LG/SONY) in terms of "picture quality" of someone watching 1080i broadcast (say college football), isn't that smaller (65" screen) picture going to show sharper than a 77" with same 1080i material on it ? That has generally been my understanding, at least with "stretching" that 1080i material out there.

I know with 4K material, there is no question that for the "impact" factor, 77" is way to go...sure.

Thanks.
When watching football on my 77” and 65” TVs, I never thought the 77” was softer than the 65”. Of course a 65” 1080p would be sharper than both a 77” and 65” 4K TV.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That’s what I’m debating. Go with the newest tech on a 65” A8H or go with a77” A9G as the 65” is so much less expensive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s what I’m debating. Go with the newest tech on a 65” A8H or go with a77” A9G as the 65” is so much less expensive.
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’m going back to Sony. The LG is good, but I’m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’t feel right.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’m going back to Sony. The LG is good,
but I’m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’t feel right.
That’s a sweet TV. Did you move up in size when you got the LG? If so, do you think 77” is worth the cost?

Perhaps you are more familiar with the menu system on the Sony. Or maybe you like the Sony’s look more than the LG.

I’m more familiar with LG’s webos as I’ve had an LG OLED for 5 years now. I actually worry about my wife trying to operate the Sony menu system. I have an LG C9 that I thought I got a good deal on as a display model from Costco, but when I checked the hours I was disappointed to see 4000 so I’m going to take it back.

The LG’s picture in HDR is sweet. Dolby Vision is awesome. Coming from a 2015 OLED I’m sure I would be happy with either an LG or Sony. But for not much more money than I paid for the C9 I can get a CX with the new panel or an A8H. I’m talking 65” size which is what my old LG was.

I really don’t have any experience with earc. My surround sound system is in limbo. I bought a processor I’ve wanted for years and was saving up for an amp, but then my tv bit the dust. So now the amp is on hold until I figure out what display to get.

I’m just really debating if I should spend the extra cash for the 77” over the 65”. 65” is adequate for my needs. I outlined the 77” on the wall around my 65” to try and visualize if it would be worth the extra $. My eyes say yes, but my wallet says no.

I’m also wondering if the Sony will be as bright as the LG in HDR and Dolby Vision. If so, I would pop for the Sony’s processing. The reviews on the Sony’s Dolby Vision are all over the place. Some say the Sony is dark. Some say it’s dark but the specular highlights are better than the LG. Some say they are so close that it doesn’t matter. All say the Sony’s color is better. If I could walk in a show room and compare them I’m sure making a decision would be easier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
BigBlue, could you please share a link to the "shootout by VE"?

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
That’s a sweet TV. Did you move up in size when you got the LG? If so, do you think 77” is worth the cost?

I have an LG C9 that I thought I got a good deal on as a display model from Costco, but when I checked the hours I was disappointed to see 4000 so I’m going to take it back.

But for not much more money than I paid for the C9 I can get a CX with the new panel or an A8H. I’m talking 65” size which is what my old LG was.

I’m also wondering if the Sony will be as bright as the LG in HDR and Dolby Vision. If so, I would pop for the Sony’s processing. The reviews on the Sony’s Dolby Vision are all over the place. Some say the Sony is dark. Some say it’s dark but the specular highlights are better than the LG. Some say they are so close that it doesn’t matter. All say the Sony’s color is better.
1. 65" vs. 77" - Simple, it depends on how far you will be sitting from the display.
2. 4000 hrs - Not sure what you expected with a floor model. They are on all day long, and that is last year's model so of course it was on a lot!
3. If you go 65", the A8H is the better display, although you can't go wrong with either.
4. The mystery of dark DV with Sony was solved by D-Nice. Use DV Bright, not DV Dark, since it is the most accurate when using any external device for streaming/watching movies (connected to the display over HDMI). Then, DV is basically the same, LG vs. Sony.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’m going back to Sony. The LG is good, but I’m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’t feel right.
Is there a reason you’re considering the A9G? You’re previous posts made it sound like you thought the lg was better in every way to the A9G

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’️m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’️m going back to Sony. The LG is good, but I’️m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’️ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’️t feel right.
Is there a reason you’️re considering the A9G? You’️re previous posts made it sound like you thought the lg was better in every way to the A9G
The LG CX/GX is a great TV but it’s not “better” in every way. I apologize if that’s how I made it seem. I was trying to point out how the LG has finally “caught up” to Sony. With its processing and motion handling. They’ve always lagged behind in every department but now they’re near peer. But, after watching various sources for hours over the past week, I’ve noticed the LG still slightly lags behind Sony with low bit rate content and motion processing. Yes, the CX/GX handles Motion and low quality sources better than any LG has before, but it’s still not as clean and sharp as the Sony and my wife watches ALOT of cable. HGTV and such. When it comes to HDR and native 4K content it’s like splitting hairs between the two as most have pointed out. Let’s say the difference in high quality content is, the LG may be brighter overall, but Sony uses brightness differently to bring out more detail and depth to the picture. In a bright sky scene, you’ll see the detail in the sun and clouds while on the LG there would be less detail but the entire picture would be brighter overall with more color pop. The main reason I’m going back is for the better low quality cable source handling and the familiarity with the Sony menus and android TV. Webos is good but I’ve had nothing but Sony TVs since 2009. I used to work at the Sonystyle store on Madison Ave in NYC when it existed selling TVs and cameras lol. So it just feels weird. I thought I’d try something new because the audio issues I was having pissed me off. The dropouts made me upset with Sony because I wasn’t used to having issues with their products. The LG is great and yes they have caught up to Sony a lot and are way better than they used to be. But if your a videophile and movie buff like myself, and only game casually when you happen to find the free time smh, there’s just no replacement for Sony’s accurate processing and PQ. I know I seem all over the place but when you’re spending Over 5 grand on a 77” TV your going to have for years, you want to be comfortable with it. I’ll just hope they hurry up and deal with the eARC audio issue via onboard apps or I’ll just turn off Dolby Digital+ for now until everything’s corrected

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I have a 77”GX but I’m going back to Sony. Just not 100% if I should go with the A9G as it has audio eARC issues which is what made me try LG or go down in size to the A8H. Either way, I’m going back to Sony. The LG is good,
but I’m stuck in my ways. My entire set up is Sony and I’ve only ever had Sony TVs and the LG just doesn’t feel right.

Perhaps you are more familiar with the menu system on the Sony. Or maybe you like the Sony’s look more than the LG.

I’m more familiar with LG’s webos as I’ve had an LG OLED for 5 years now. I actually worry about my wife trying to operate the Sony menu system. I have an LG C9 that I thought I got a good deal on as a display model from Costco, but when I checked the hours I was disappointed to see 4000 so I’m going to take it back.

The LG’s picture in HDR is sweet. Dolby Vision is awesome. Coming from a 2015 OLED I’m sure I would be happy with either an LG or Sony. But for not much more money than I paid for the C9 I can get a CX with the new panel or an A8H. I’m talking 65” size which is what my old LG was.

I really don’t have any experience with earc. My surround sound system is in limbo. I bought a processor I’ve wanted for years and was saving up for an amp, but then my tv bit the dust. So now the amp is on hold until I figure out what display to get.

I’m just really debating if I should spend the extra cash for the 77” over the 65”. 65” is adequate for my needs. I outlined the 77” on the wall around my 65” to try and visualize if it would be worth the extra $. My eyes say yes, but my wallet says no.

I’m also wondering if the Sony will be as bright as the LG in HDR and Dolby Vision. If so, I would pop for the Sony’s processing. The reviews on the Sony’s Dolby Vision are all over the place. Some say the Sony is dark. Some say it’s dark but the specular highlights are better than the LG. Some say they are so close that it doesn’t matter. All say the Sony’s color is better. If I could walk in a show room and compare them I’m sure making a decision would be easier.
That extra real estate with 77” makes a huge difference. The price difference between sizes SUCKS though. But I wouldn’t say get a larger TV if it’s picture quality will be a noticeable downgrade from a 65” you have your eye on. Only go up in size of the PQ is equal or better than the 65”. And for Sony you have to use Dolby Vision Bright instead of Dolby Vision dark even though they say Dark is the most accurate. I think DV bright looks better personally.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Biggest regret most folks have after buying a TV is the “I should have got the bigger size.” Go 77”.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
And for Sony you have to use Dolby Vision Bright instead of Dolby Vision dark even though they say Dark is the most accurate. I think DV bright looks better personally.
No, D-Nice showed that DV Bright is the most accurate, at least for external sources using an HDMI connection. He was going to check out which is most accurate for the internal apps, but I don't think he's done that yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The LG CX/GX is a great TV but it’s not “better” in every way. I apologize if that’s how I made it seem. I was trying to point out how the LG has finally “caught up” to Sony. With its processing and motion handling. They’ve always lagged behind in every department but now they’re near peer. But, after watching various sources for hours over the past week, I’ve noticed the LG still slightly lags behind Sony with low bit rate content and motion processing. Yes, the CX/GX handles Motion and low quality sources better than any LG has before, but it’s still not as clean and sharp as the Sony and my wife watches ALOT of cable. HGTV and such. When it comes to HDR and native 4K content it’s like splitting hairs between the two as most have pointed out. Let’s say the difference in high quality content is, the LG may be brighter overall, but Sony uses brightness differently to bring out more detail and depth to the picture. In a bright sky scene, you’ll see the detail in the sun and clouds while on the LG there would be less detail but the entire picture would be brighter overall with more color pop. The main reason I’m going back is for the better low quality cable source handling and the familiarity with the Sony menus and android TV. Webos is good but I’ve had nothing but Sony TVs since 2009. I used to work at the Sonystyle store on Madison Ave in NYC when it existed selling TVs and cameras lol. So it just feels weird. I thought I’d try something new because the audio issues I was having pissed me off. The dropouts made me upset with Sony because I wasn’t used to having issues with their products. The LG is great and yes they have caught up to Sony a lot and are way better than they used to be. But if your a videophile and movie buff like myself, and only game casually when you happen to find the free time smh, there’s just no replacement for Sony’s accurate processing and PQ. I know I seem all over the place but when you’re spending Over 5 grand on a 77” TV your going to have for years, you want to be comfortable with it. I’ll just hope they hurry up and deal with the eARC audio issue via onboard apps or I’ll just turn off Dolby Digital+ for now until everything’s corrected
Ok, gotcha. I'm similar to you, occasionally game but mostly movie and tv watching. I think you've said though that the near black is better on the lg, but low bit rate stuff like cable cleans up better on the sony?

My main issue with my previous oled (lg b6) was ugly macroblocking near black. But I don't know if it was caused by bad near black processing, low bit rate content, or a combo of both. So I would want the one that deals with this issue the best. Seems like the a8h nails both but I do want 77inch so the a8h is out. So which do you think handles this better out of the a9g and cx? I also don't use cable, mainly netflix, hulu, hbogo, prime etc..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The LG CX/GX is a great TV but it’️s not “betterâ€Â in every way. I apologize if that’️s how I made it seem. I was trying to point out how the LG has finally “caught upâ€Â to Sony. With its processing and motion handling. They’️ve always lagged behind in every department but now they’️re near peer. But, after watching various sources for hours over the past week, I’️ve noticed the LG still slightly lags behind Sony with low bit rate content and motion processing. Yes, the CX/GX handles Motion and low quality sources better than any LG has before, but it’️s still not as clean and sharp as the Sony and my wife watches ALOT of cable. HGTV and such. When it comes to HDR and native 4K content it’️s like splitting hairs between the two as most have pointed out. Let’️s say the difference in high quality content is, the LG may be brighter overall, but Sony uses brightness differently to bring out more detail and depth to the picture. In a bright sky scene, you’️ll see the detail in the sun and clouds while on the LG there would be less detail but the entire picture would be brighter overall with more color pop. The main reason I’️m going back is for the better low quality cable source handling and the familiarity with the Sony menus and android TV. Webos is good but I’️ve had nothing but Sony TVs since 2009. I used to work at the Sonystyle store on Madison Ave in NYC when it existed selling TVs and cameras lol. So it just feels weird. I thought I’️d try something new because the audio issues I was having pissed me off. The dropouts made me upset with Sony because I wasn’️t used to having issues with their products. The LG is great and yes they have caught up to Sony a lot and are way better than they used to be. But if your a videophile and movie buff like myself, and only game casually when you happen to find the free time smh, there’️s just no replacement for Sony’️s accurate processing and PQ. I know I seem all over the place but when you’️re spending Over 5 grand on a 77â€Â TV your going to have for years, you want to be comfortable with it. I’️ll just hope they hurry up and deal with the eARC audio issue via onboard apps or I’️ll just turn off Dolby Digital+ for now until everything’️s corrected
Ok, gotcha. I'm similar to you, occasionally game but mostly movie and tv watching. I think you've said though that the near black is better on the lg, but low bit rate stuff like cable cleans up better on the sony?

My main issue with my previous oled (lg b6) was ugly macroblocking near black. But I don't know if it was caused by bad near black processing, low bit rate content, or a combo of both. So I would want the one that deals with this issue the best. Seems like the a8h nails both but I do want 77inch so the a8h is out. So which do you think handles this better out of the a9g and cx? I also don't use cable, mainly netflix, hulu, hbogo, prime etc..
Yes the Sony has macroblocking and flashing in near blacks but mainly with low bit rate content like cable. If you’re not watching cable at all, it’s hard to choose because they both perform great with HD content. So it boils down to price and which operating system you prefer. For the price, I’d go with the A9G. Yes The LG handles the near blacks better and has less macroblocking but it is still there. Just less prominent. But that’s with cable. You want a brighter, more color saturated HDR picture with pop, go with the CX/GX. If you want a more accurate, detailed picture with SLIGHTLY better motion in HDR go Sony. After putting both to the test, I realized it took LG a brand new processor and an extra year to make a TV experience that’s equal to Sony. Their 2020 flagship is neck and neck with Sony’s previous year. That says a lot.

P.S. I forgot, another Huge deal breaker for me, NO HBO GO APP ON THE 2020 LG! You have to use Apple TV and buy a hbo now subscription smh

1 - 20 of 44 Posts