21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Is there a reason you’re considering the A9G? You’re previous posts made it sound like you thought the lg was better in every way to the A9G
Not him, but I just strongly DISLIKE the "duck feet" stand. The A9G just looks much more refined/classier, starting with the flatish stand. I am principally "in this" for picture quality, and following that mini-shootout, feel that the A8H is a tad/scosh better than the A9G, so this is NOT an easy call for me.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Bigger OLED, isn’t that what we all want? :D

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
23 Posts

After watching the shootout,it is clear that the you need to avoid CX at any cost, or at-least avoid replacing the 3-D lut using calman.
The LG set has an obvious red tint.

Secondly: Screen uniformity, in the commentary it was mentioned 2020 sets has better uniformity, but the CX has a large pink blob in the upper right corner, extremely obvious

Hence I wish calman could release a version that does not replace the LUT of the LG TV, but mere adjustments, like Sony, Panasonic.
I am sure the LG measures perfectly after the "calibration" but it looks extremely hot.

It does not inspire confidence in the CX.

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
77” LG CX/GX vs 65” Sony A8H

After watching the shootout,it is clear that the you need to avoid CX at any cost, or at-least avoid replacing the 3-D lut using calman.
The LG set has an obvious red tint.

Secondly: Screen uniformity, in the commentary it was mentioned 2020 sets has better uniformity, but the CX has a large pink blob in the upper right corner, extremely obvious

Hence I wish calman could release a version that does not replace the LUT of the LG TV, but mere adjustments, like Sony, Panasonic.
I am sure the LG measures perfectly after the "calibration" but it looks extremely hot.

It does not inspire confidence in the CX.

You can calibrate LG’s manually with Calman if that is you preference, but I am really surprised someone would make a purchasing decision solely based on a YouTube video.

I had a C8 for over a year and the 3dlut calibration works quite well .

77”A9G Direct Tv AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685

·
Registered
304 Posts

4. The mystery of dark DV with Sony was solved by D-Nice. Use DV Bright, not DV Dark, since it is the most accurate when using any external device for streaming/watching movies (connected to the display over HDMI). Then, DV is basically the same, LG vs. Sony.

THIS is where I get stuck. While I know that the above is soundly sourced, Vincent did a review of the A9G against the C9 (I think) and he lamented that when he shifted the Sony to DV Bright as suggested he got washed out highlights and such which you could clearly see in the vid. ???

·
Registered
11,696 Posts

THIS is where I get stuck. While I know that the above is soundly sourced, Vincent did a review of the A9G against the C9 (I think) and he lamented that when he shifted the Sony to DV Bright as suggested he got washed out highlights and such which you could clearly see in the vid. ???

I haven’t had that experience in the A9g so far , I do think Dv is less impactful on the Sony but still looks great . On the hdr10 side I prefer the Sony presentation much more balanced and natural

·
Registered
15,166 Posts
I don't find it to be washed out. There could be various explanations as to Vincent's findings, depending on his settings and associated equipment. For example, if he was judging based on 4k DV discs played on an Oppo 205, there is a known Oppo bug where you have to set the DV output to "player-led" rather than "auto." I trust D-Nice's findings that DV Bright is the optimal way to go when watching DV material through an HDMI connection.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I haven’t had that experience in the A9g so far , I do think Dv is less impactful on the Sony but still looks great . On the hdr10 side I prefer the Sony presentation much more balanced and natural

Soooo .... which is the most accurate to the source?

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
Soooo .... which is the most accurate to the source?

I don’t find the dv on the Sony to be garish or anything like that . Not sure any hdr on an oled can be presented accurate to the source due to tone mapping but I think the Sony does a nice job . The lg hdr has a more processed look to it imo

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
why do you find dv less impactful? apl, highlights?

·
Registered
11,696 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have noticed this 'only' when seeing lg or panasonic side by side to a sony. independently viewed, i find no problem with the apl/brightness in a dark room using dolby vision bright on the sony a9g. apparently, unlike lg and panasonic that can do tv led dolby vision (tv hardware processes the dolby vision), sony oleds cannot and only use player led dolby vision (source device does the dolby vision processing).

·
Registered
11,696 Posts
I have noticed this 'only' when seeing lg or panasonic side by side to a sony. independently viewed, i find no problem with the apl/brightness in a dark room using dolby vision bright on the sony a9g. apparently, unlike lg and panasonic that can do tv led dolby vision (tv hardware processes the dolby vision), sony oleds cannot and only use player led dolby vision (source device does the dolby vision processing).

I had a c8 for over a year so familiar with lots of different material , in no way I am saying the dv on the Sony is bad it’s just different. Hdr 10 is the other way around imo .

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
hdr10 on a9g is helped a lot by sony's always on dynamic tone mapping which works great, the highlights in hdr10 are more impactful than lg while maintaining good overall brightness. balanced presentation is the right word.
with DV, you'd probably agree it's come a long way from the drab DV days of the A1/AIE and A8F.

·
Registered
11,696 Posts

hdr10 on a9g is helped a lot by sony's always on dynamic tone mapping which works great, the highlights in hdr10 are more impactful than lg while maintaining good overall brightness. balanced presentation is the right word.
with DV, you'd probably agree it's come a long way from the drab DV days of the A1/AIE and A8F.

Yes it is improved from the A8F which I also owned , the hdr10 with dynamic tone mapping on was artificial looking on the C8 imo

·
Registered
388 Posts
That extra real estate with 77” makes a huge difference. The price difference between sizes SUCKS though. But I wouldn’t say get a larger TV if it’s picture quality will be a noticeable downgrade from a 65” you have your eye on. Only go up in size of the PQ is equal or better than the 65”. And for Sony you have to use Dolby Vision Bright instead of Dolby Vision dark even though they say Dark is the most accurate. I think DV bright looks better personally.
I decided to go with the 77" A9G. Hope it is as good as everyone says. Looking forward to the acoustic panel. I don't game other than Nintendo Wii with my boy.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts