AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Wanting to know which you would choose between a 77" A80J and a 65" A90J?

Reading lots about the 77" A80J using the new "evo" panel just without the heat sink of the A90J. Would it be safe to say the 77" A80J is a good tv and gives most of the benefits of the A90J?

Also, how does the 77" A80J compare to a 77" LG G1 (Outside gaming)?

Cheers

·
Registered
15,882 Posts
There are already numerous threads comparing all these displays, and the merits of best PQ (the A90J) versus larger size, not to mention dedicated threads on all these displays plus the recent Value Electronics shoot-out (the A90J and G1 were both included). What distance will you be sitting from the display (necessary information for the PQ vs. size debate)? Some here prefer best PQ, while many others prefer size. In the end, it depends on which is most important to you (and the distance you sit from the display).
Edit: All of these displays are excellent, and you would be happy with any of them.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Go with the 77a80j. You will notice the size much more then small picture differences. Those two tv are very similar. I have the 83a90j but if I had to choose I would take the 77a80j over the 65a90j any day.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
77 a80j all day

I too considered the 65 a90j briefly

But after 5 years with a 65 9600 I was ready for a quality increase AND size increase

Zero regrets

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Hey all,

Wanting to know which you would choose between a 77" A80J and a 65" A90J?

Reading lots about the 77" A80J using the new "evo" panel just without the heat sink of the A90J. Would it be safe to say the 77" A80J is a good tv and gives most of the benefits of the A90J?

Also, how does the 77" A80J compare to a 77" LG G1 (Outside gaming)?

Cheers
If you mostly watch SDR or streaming HDR, get the a80j and do not look back.

If you are an HDR geek and watch 4K UHD Blurays, the a90j is in a league of its own.

I am less critical when not watching 4K UHD Blurays and as soon as I saw the a90j in action, I cancelled my 77 inch a80j and got the 65 inch a90j, and could not be more pleased.

The a90j is to OLED ( particularly for HDR 4K Blurays ), what the KURO was to plasma - definitely a game changer!

Reactions: DJTaurus

·
Registered
517 Posts
The A80J beats LG's picture quality no doubt. The LG OLEDs are future-proof for 4k120hz gaming, whereas the Sony cannot do 4k 120hz dolb vision or dod HGIG.. There is also a chance the VRR and ALLM won't work as well as it did on the LG OLED's.. Rememebr the X900H had blurry 4k120hz that will never be fixed...

If you'e not a gamer though, obviously the Sony all day.. Anybody else who cannot decide on sacrificing picture quality for less gaming features, or the other way around, should wait to see if Sony matches LG's features next year.. Which may, or may not happen...

The A90J is not worth the price increase just for a bit better HDR, but tonydeluce obviously disagrees with me

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
The A80J beats LG's picture quality no doubt. The LG OLEDs are future-proof for 4k120hz gaming, whereas the Sony cannot do 4k 120hz dolb vision or dod HGIG.. There is also a chance the VRR and ALLM won't work as well as it did on the LG OLED's.. Rememebr the X900H had blurry 4k120hz that will never be fixed...

If you'e not a gamer though, obviously the Sony all day.. Anybody else who cannot decide on sacrificing picture quality for less gaming features, or the other way around, should wait to see if Sony matches LG's features next year.. Which may, or may not happen...

The A90J is not worth the price increase just for a bit better HDR, but tonydeluce obviously disagrees with me
I see many people these days that simply stream and do not watch 4K UHD Blurays in HDR - if that is the case, the a90j will be a bit brighter than the a80j but not much difference in PQ overall at all.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I see many people these days that simply stream and do not watch 4K UHD Blurays in HDR - if that is the case, the a90j will be a bit brighter than the a80j but not much difference in PQ overall at all.
My only thing with paying top dollar for the A90J, is Sony's lineup next year can literally have a new processor again for next year tv's, and fix the limitations they have for gaming compared to the LG OLED's. You can always say just to wait though for anything tech-related of course.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
77 inch is 40% bigger-40!!!

do you really think any tv is going to be 40 percent better lol

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Sony's lineup next year can literally have a new processor again for next year tv's, and fix the limitations they have for gaming compared to the LG OLED's.
I'd guess the top 2022 models might again have XR. I think the top Sony processors have typically lasted at least a couple model years before they were replaced, and XR was new for 2021. Of course other hardware could change, but I'd bet on XR probably being on the next models. If XR is the reason for where Sony is at today, based on previous Sony processor changes, I'm not sure the next model year is likely to solve it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'd guess the top 2022 models might again have XR. I think the top Sony processors have typically lasted at least a couple model years before they were replaced, and XR was new for 2021. Of course other hardware could change, but I'd bet on XR probably being on the next models. If XR is the reason for where Sony is at today, based on previous Sony processor changes, I'm not sure the next model year is likely to solve it.
Maybe some variant best case scenario like “XR Ultimate” but agreed they didn’t spend years of R&D to just throw it by the wayside with
Next years. Especially since it’s leagues above competition processing

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
77 inch is 40% bigger-40!!!

do you really think any tv is going to be 40 percent better lol
Can you please explain the ridiculous notion that a 40% larger screen is somehow related to percentage better PQ?

There are owners on the a90j that prefer the sharpness of the 55 inch a90j over the 65 inch A90J. What do you say to them? No way the 55 inch can be 40% better than the 65 inch? LMAO!

You may prefer the larger screen size but some prefer better PQ. That is fine but attempting to quantify PQ based on percentage of screen size is absolutely ridiculous.

For me, HDR/DV highlights when watching 4K UHD Blurays on the 65 inch a90j makes it at least 400% "better" than the 77 inch a80j. Outside of this use case, they are very close and if I did not have a collection of 4K UHD Bluray "eye candy" and did not enjoy watching the vast majority of them on the a90j , I would have bought the 77 inch a80j.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Maybe some variant best case scenario like “XR Ultimate” but agreed they didn’t spend years of R&D to just throw it by the wayside with
Next years. Especially since it’s leagues above competition processing
I think of the XR Ultimate qualifying as a different processor.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Can you please explain the ridiculous notion that a 40% larger screen is somehow related to percentage better PQ?

There are owners on the a90j that prefer the sharpness of the 55 inch a90j over the 65 inch A90J. What do you say to them? No way the 55 inch can be 40% better than the 65 inch? LMAO!

You may prefer the larger screen size but some prefer better PQ. That is fine but attempting to quantity PQ based on percentage of screen size is absolutely ridiculous.

For me, HDR/DV highlights when watching 4K UHD Blurays on the 65 inch a90j makes it at least 400% "better" than the 77 inch a80j. Outside of this use case, they are very close and if I did not have a collection of 4K UHD Bluray "eye candy" and did not enjoy watching the vast majority of them on the a90j , I would have bought the 77 inch a80j.
first. I have a A90J

second. The 40% bigger assertion is based on the 77 vs 65 NOT the 65 vs 55

third. And most important is this: it is a FACT that 77 is 40% bigger, which is HUGE! So what's the trade-off going with a set that's 40% smaller? Well, that would be better/brighter HDR luminance because of a heat sink. Would you say the A90J is 40% brighter in HDR?? And the only other difference is the sound from the tv which, to be frank, not many people are gonna use that anyways (soundbar or HT speakers instead) so, who cares if the sound is 40% better from the tv speakers.

so in the end, you get either a 40% bigger tv which is 40% bigger in 100% of the things you watch OR you get a 40% smaller tv that has better HDR light output (whether it's 40% brighter or not you can fill me in). LITERALLY EVEYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME. It's a no brainer really unless you don't have the room for a 77

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
first. I have a A90J

second. The 40% bigger assertion is based on the 77 vs 65 NOT the 65 vs 55

third. And most important is this: it is a FACT that 77 is 40% bigger, which is HUGE! So what's the trade-off going with a set that's 40% smaller? Well, that would be better/brighter HDR luminance because of a heat sink. Would you say the A90J is 40% brighter in HDR?? And the only other difference is the sound from the tv which, to be frank, not many people are gonna use that anyways (soundbar or HT speakers instead) so, who cares if the sound is 40% better from the tv speakers.

so in the end, you get either a 40% bigger tv which is 40% bigger in 100% of the things you watch OR you get a 40% smaller tv that has better HDR light output (whether it's 40% brighter or not you can fill me in). LITERALLY EVEYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME. It's a no brainer really unless you don't have the room for a 77
ROTFLMAO

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,511 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Funny-thats what I say when I can't argue a point also :)
I learned along time ago that you cannot argue with a complete moron - believe what you want - but believing a TV must be 40% brighter to justify a 40% smaller size is absolutely ridiculous. LMAO.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Go with the 77a80j. You will notice the size much more then small picture differences. Those two tv are very similar. I have the 83a90j but if I had to choose I would take the 77a80j over the 65a90j any day.
Agreed. Size trumps the small increase in brightness if those are the two options on the table.

Reactions: Chirosamsung
1 - 20 of 40 Posts