AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned my Panasonic L300U for exactly 1 week now. Im very mixed in my emtions, but I am overall pleased with the amount of money spent vs. enjoyment received. I will try to break this down into pros and cons to make this easier...

Pros:

Extremely large picture - I love the fact that I can stretch the screen to 110" and have a beautiful LCD picture for me to drool over.

Quality of picture - The picture on this projector is wonderful. As long as I keep the size of the picture small enough for my sitting position, I dont see the screendoor effect and the picture is great.

HDTV - This is my first HDTV capable device. I bought a Samsung receiver to get over the air broadcasts and Ive never seen a better picture. Also, add to that the programs that are broadcast in 5.1 DD and you cant even compare to an analog picture and pro-logic sound.

16x9 - This is also my first 16x9 device and its pretty cool turning on the old 4x3 tube and comparing how much extra video I get from programs broadcast in 16x9 mode (CSI, monday night football, etc.)

WOW Factor - When friends or family come over, they all are blown away at the clarity and the quality and the pure size of the projector. I havent had a one person not walk away impressed, and I have lots of jealous friends.

Cons:

Darkness - this is my biggest problem with the projector. I would really like to invite a bunch of coworkers over to my house for HD monday night football, but I think it would be a little weird for a bunch of guys watching football in the dark :) Also, me and the girlfriend eat sometimes while watching TV and it is a pain. Some light can be added in, but the lumens on this PJ limits this.

Lifestyle changes - My projector is in the living room (only place I have for it) and I had to make a lot of changes that, if my girlfriend were my wife, the changes may have not been made :) I had to drill 1.5" hole in the ceiling for cabling, put up curtains, black out windows in the living room and some other misc. items that are now semi-permanent. Nothing too big, but the projector has definately taken over the living room.

As you can clearly see, there are way more pros than cons, but the inability to watch regular HD programs with the light on is one of the most annoying things about it, but I can learn to live with it. With 77 hours in 1 week, you can tell I love it :) Overall, I would definately make the purchase again, but buying a FP is definately not a light step to take.

·
Banned
100 Posts
youre right, the ae300 is fabulous quality for such a low price. over here in the uk it won PJ of they year award.

I used to own an ae100, but was unhappy with the light greys that were supposed to be blacks.

the ae300 is supposed to be far superior, i am looking to get one, 2nd hand hopefully.

i think if u used your PJ a lot, to watch TV etc, you would soon lose the magic feeling that u get, when u only use it to watch a DVD movie....

personally, I would just use a normal TV for everyday use, and a PJ for cinema use only.

when u watch TV programs at PJ sized screens, most of the time, they look terrible !

theyre just not filmed well enough, or on good enough medium, for large screen reproduction

neither were they intended to

happy viewing !

buganna.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I dont watch "regular" TV on the projector. You are right, its crappy quality. BUT I do watch HDTV and it looks awesome :cool:

I use PJ for:

XBOX

HDTV

DVD

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You should try zooming in for a smaller (say 70" wide) picture for times that you want to view with lights on. So long as the room lights aren't shining directly onto the screen the picture will be bright enough (and still big enough) for MNF with the guys or dinner and TV with the GF.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You didn't mention what kind of screen you have with your 300. Try using a screen with a gain. I have issues with ambient light because my HT is in the family room. One of my wife's main requirements is that we should be able to see each other or eat while we watch something. Although a dark room definitely makes for a better picture, you can still have a pretty watcheable picture with ambient light. I went with a Firehawk screen for my setup. It is wonderful at rejecting ambient light and has a 1.35 gain.

I just had a bunch of buddies over for MNF and the room had quite a bit of ambient light. The picture was still bright enough to impress the crowd.

It may not be the cheapest screen out there ;) but I am certainly glad I spent the money.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Englebright
You didn't mention what kind of screen you have with your 300. Try using a screen with a gain. I have issues with ambient light because my HT is in the family room. One of my wife's main requirements is that we should be able to see each other or eat while we watch something. Although a dark room definitely makes for a better picture, you can still have a pretty watcheable picture with ambient light. I went with a Firehawk screen for my setup. It is wonderful at rejecting ambient light and has a 1.35 gain.

I just had a bunch of buddies over for MNF and the room had quite a bit of ambient light. The picture was still bright enough to impress the crowd.

It may not be the cheapest screen out there ;) but I am certainly glad I spent the money.
Well, since I am on a budget with this project, I had to make do with certain items until I really had time to save up money for other things. Right now I have a DIY screen and projector mount. The screen is blackout cloth stretched onto a 16x9 frame.

I really wish I had the cash to spend on a nice screen the size that I want, but its just not possible at this moment. Right now Im trying to save up for a receiver and some decent speakers.

You are right, I should have included my screen type before stating my cons, if properly setup, some of my complaints may not actually be there. I wish I could get someone with a firehawk screen to come to my house so I can see the difference :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
77 hours in week WOW!!!!

How do you have time for a Girlfriend. I think you have a new Girlfriend,

what have you named her? :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
What about a little bias lighting behind / around the screen? As long as the light doesn't directly hit the screen, it'd provide you with enough light to eat by, and might even INCREASE the perceived contrast levels. To be honest, I've not tried it with FP, being an old CRT-tube guy (my X1 should arrive today if UPS can manage not to send it to Bemidji MN).

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would be very interested to hear if the bias lighting works with the pj. I work IT support at a major lighting manufacturer and would like to mention HT lighting as something for them to look at (or at least become aware of). I also am undertaking a HT setup and planned on asking some of the designers for their advice after everything is setup but they don't know lighting and effect on pj's.

Thanks,

bedo

·
Registered
131 Posts
Depending on your wall color, a small string of christmas lights might work tacked to the back of the DIY frame (assuming there's an air gap between the screen and the wall). If your wall color is blueish this might work well. Otherwise, GE makes those "natural light" lightbulbs, which are supposedly very close to sunlight in temperature.

I put a small flourescent light behind my direct-view TV, and directed it towards our very tan walls. It worked well. I like the lights off when watching movies. My wife doesn't. Made for a good compromise.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
In my setup of I have lighting in the ceiling above the sitting area which works out well. The L300U is setup in the basement with recessed cans in the ceiling. The room is not very wide but long (maybe 15'X30'). There are two cans near the screen & two in the middle of the room, then there are two slightly behind the couch which are on a different circuit & dimmer. When eating I keep the ones behind the couch at about 1/2 brightness and I can see everything fine and it doesn't have much effect on the screen at all. I'm very happy with the setup.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I just sent back my X1 demo, and during the trial used a small 25 watt lamp behind the screen as bias lighting. It definitely made a difference in the perceived contrast, as well as adding some light to the room.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.