AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others on this forum I have finally replaced one of my plasmas with a 65" LG C8 and i'm very happy with it. Now I'm going to replace another 64" plasma in my house but in this area I'm specifically looking for a 85"+ display. I was hoping the new 88" LG 8K would be under $10k but it's currently on sale for $30k, not going to happen.

So should I:

1. Buy for a 77" OLED
2. Buy a 85"+ non-OLED
3. Wait for a 85"+ OLED at less than $10k

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What's the environment and intended usage?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am in a similar situation.

Finally may need to replace my 70" Sony SXRD.

Was leaning towards a 77" LG OLED C8,.. but the black levels look totally fake (at least in the store demo). Makes everything look like a painting on the back of glass. Perhaps that can be adjusted out? (There is no perfect black in real life,.. but it seems they are trying to show off their black levels at the expense of realism).

The TV sales guy thought the Sony 85" 900F or 950G were the better bet. But it's hard to wrap my head around buying an LCD TV,.. they've been so horrid for so long. All the technical trickery they've had to do to make them passable.

I just need a monitor. I'd like to avoid anything "smart". In fact I won't be connecting it to the internet at all. Just HDMIs to the cable box, OPPO player and Fire Box.

The TV will be in a fairly dark room most of the time. Formula One, NFL, cable shows, occasionally something on Netflix. I watch a movie perhaps 3x a year.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

But it's hard to wrap my head around buying an LCD TV,.. they've been so horrid for so long.
It's been over 5 years since the color went out on my SXRD RPTV, but I don't remember there really being many areas where it was necessarily better than LCD at the time. Current LCDs should have improved in some areas, for example X-Motion Clarity seems to be regarded as possibly one of the best motion processing systems currently available.

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I am in a similar situation.

Was leaning towards a 77" LG OLED C8,.. but the black levels look totally fake (at least in the store demo). Makes everything look like a painting on the back of glass. Perhaps that can be adjusted out? (There is no perfect black in real life,.. but it seems they are trying to show off their black levels at the expense of realism).

The TV sales guy thought the Sony 85" 900F or 950G were the better bet. But it's hard to wrap my head around buying an LCD TV,.. they've been so horrid for so long. All the technical trickery they've had to do to make them passable.

I just need a monitor. I'd like to avoid anything "smart". In fact I won't be connecting it to the internet at all. Just HDMIs to the cable box, OPPO player and Fire Box.

The TV will be in a fairly dark room most of the time. Formula One, NFL, cable shows, occasionally something on Netflix. I watch a movie perhaps 3x a year.

Thanks in advance.
There is nothing "fake" about OLED black levels, your brain just isn't used to seeing what is technologically possible when you have per pixel total control over luminance.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
It's called black crush. OLEDs can't display black slightly above absolute black, so they make just above absolute black perfect black. It creates a pretty picture, but it's false contrast. And I have the same impression as you. At times. the picture doesn't look natural.

It can't be adjusted out. What is typically done is raise all the black levels so the relative levels are OK, but then you lose the best part of OLED. Being able to display perfect black. Overall I think OLED is better than LCD, but it has it's flaws too.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
It's called black crush. OLEDs can't display black slightly above absolute black, so they make just above absolute black perfect black. It creates a pretty picture, but it's false contrast. And I have the same impression as you. At times. the picture doesn't look natural.

It can't be adjusted out. What is typically done is raise all the black levels so the relative levels are OK, but then you lose the best part of OLED. Being able to display perfect black. Overall I think OLED is better than LCD, but it has it's flaws too.
Very good post, every tech has flaws. Nothing is perfect is the lesson in this hobby.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It's amazing you still have a working SXRD. Mine was ready for the dump after around 5.5 years (7 years ago). The fact that you watch in a dark room would make me lean towards OLED, but LCD might be better suited to the type of content you watch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is nothing "fake" about OLED black levels, your brain just isn't used to seeing what is technologically possible when you have per pixel total control over luminance.
I wanted to piggy back on the OP's post, I am in the same boat deciding on a 77 inch OLED or a 85 inch Sony or a 82 inch Samsung. I am moving to metro Atlanta & will close on a new home on July 22.

Here is a photo of the family room from the listing photo where the TV would go.

https://imgur.com/a/oHEFMjK

The basement is unfinished but has 11 foot ceilings so when I finish it off I will go with a projector down there.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I wanted to piggy back on the OP's post, I am in the same boat deciding on a 77 inch OLED or a 85 inch Sony or a 82 inch Samsung. I am moving to metro Atlanta & will close on a new home on July 22.

Here is a photo of the family room from the listing photo where the TV would go.

https://imgur.com/a/oHEFMjK

The basement is unfinished but has 11 foot ceilings so when I finish it off I will go with a projector down there.

With that much uncontrolled lighting I would probably go with the largest QLED set I could afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
With that much uncontrolled lighting I would probably go with the largest QLED set I could afford.
I think there are better screen finishes than the semi-gloss Samsung uses on the lower models (Q70, Q60, Q6), but the "ultra black" screens on the higher models (Q90, Q80, Q9FN-Q7FN) might be the best glossy screen finish currently available for dealing with reflections.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's amazing you still have a working SXRD. Mine was ready for the dump after around 5.5 years (7 years ago). The fact that you watch in a dark room would make me lean towards OLED, but LCD might be better suited to the type of content you watch.

I had the very first 1080 tv ever made,.. The Sony SXRD kds60xbr1 (1080i only). It's still around,.. I gave it to a friend.

Back 8 some years ago I learned that SONY had made a 70" version in 2007,.. and found one on Craigslist with a bit of green-screen. Bought it for $400. Then sent the light engine to Tri-State Module. They repaired it for $299. So I've been enjoying a 70" SXRD 1080P Tv for the last 8+ years for $799.00

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I had the very first 1080 tv ever made,.. The Sony SXRD kds60xbr1 (1080i only). It's still around,.. I gave it to a friend.

Back 8 some years ago I learned that SONY had made a 70" version in 2007,.. and found one on Craigslist with a bit of green-screen. Bought it for $400. Then sent the light engine to Tri-State Module. They repaired it for $299. So I've been enjoying a 70" SXRD 1080P Tv for the last 8+ years for $799.00
I recently had to give my 60" SXRD 1080P set away because I could find no takers for it at $50.

The TV was immaculate and had no blobs or other problems. The remote control was brand new as it had never been used.

I remember thinking the picture quality on that TV was pretty decent as I had spent a fair amount of time calibrating it. My Panasonic plasma was a lot better but my recollection was that a lot of that was due to the plasma TV being much brighter.

Well.... when I turned the SXRD on it was in a pitch black basement, the PQ was still "good" by rear projection standards but it looked like total crap compared to any decent TV made in the last 10 years. I had to resist the temptation to simply put it in a pick up truck and take it out to some local dump and use it for target practice.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I think there are better screen finishes than the semi-gloss Samsung uses on the lower models (Q70, Q60, Q6), but the "ultra black" screens on the higher models (Q90, Q80, Q9FN-Q7FN) might be the best glossy screen finish currently available for dealing with reflections.
Yes if it were me I would go with Q90R if I had that much window lighting in a room. There is simply no other television on the market with the anti glare properties of the new Samsung.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm amazed that some of you had SXRDs without failed optical blocks. My SXRD was taken to the dump on 2012 and I avoided Sony products for a few years after that.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Yes if it were me I would go with Q90R if I had that much window lighting in a room. There is simply no other television on the market with the anti glare properties of the new Samsung.
I have a ton of windows in my living room but really only ever watch in the dark (at least anything I care about as far as picture quality).

If watching during the day or with lights on is a priority, I agree, LED/LCD is better-suited.

But if you primarily watch what you care about with lights off, WOLED cannot be beat.

The OPs question about bigger LED/LCD versus smaller WOLED comes down to preference. Local diming artifacts including visible-above-black letterbox bars are a showstopper for me and destroy any sense of immersion far more than a sightly smaller screen would, so for my viewing priorties, the 77" WOLED would be preferable to the 85" LED/LCD.

Especially coming from a 64" plasma, the 77" WOLED represents:

-45% more screen realestate (a more-than-paltry upgrade)
-massive increase in peak brightness (for the occasional daytime viewing)
-4K resolution and HDR capability
-better blacks (especially on letterbox bars - zero screen glow)

I went from a 65ZT60 plasma to a P70 FALD LED/LCD to a 65C6P WOLED and I would never give up the perfect blacks of my WOLED for a larger LED/LCD...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts