AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys regarding 7channel amps. I am going to be driving NHT M5 speakers all around (I have 5 currently).

What I am looking for:

1) About 150watts x 7 (all driven). My power requirements aren't that high and don't really want anything over 150watts/channel.

2) I am trying to stay below $2000 (lower than $1500 would be better though ;)).

3) Not really important but bridgable would be nice since I won't get my 6th and 7th speakers for a while.

Right now I am looking into the ATI 1807 (180x7) and the Adcom 7607 (125x7). My current draws will be a little higher I guess since the NHT M5s are rated 6 ohm. I was originally going to do the 5channel amp + 2channel amp combo but I really don't have the space for that setup in my rack. I have a HK7200 right now and love it as is, but I am preparing to move to a MC-8 or MC-12 in the future so I want to get an amp now and maybe sometime by early next year pick up one of the Lexicon units.

I read at CEIDA that Lexicon is putting out a CX-7 Amp, IIRC 150x7 (exactly what I am looking for). Does anyone know when it will be available and for how much? I get this feeling it'll be above my $2000 limit though ;).

·
Registered
859 Posts
Some others worth considering:

Anthem PVA-7 105wx7

B&K AV125.7 125wx7

Outlaw 7100 100wx7

All of them should be enough power at 6 Ohms. Can't really think of any others that meet your criteria at the moment.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Think about:

a) Used. You can get more/better power for the money that way.

b) 1 two channel amp with one 5 channel amp. That way, if you listen to a lot of stereo material, only need to power the 2 ch amp for listening.

I did both, and ended up with an Acurus A200 plus an A200x5. Couldn't be happier. Original list price of $3000, and I got them used for $1300 total.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I will have to check out the B&K one also. The Anthem and Outlaw look good but I think I might want to revise my criteria to be 125wattsx7 or higher. Though it probably will make no difference in acutal dbs I just want the amp to be rated higher than my receiver (100x7).

Kevin: I have thought about getting used. I know I could save a good amount that way. I mainly listen to 5channel audio and even when using a 2channel source I always listen in Logic 7 mode. I did consider the 5+2 channel amp way but it isn't really an option cause the 2 amps will take up way too much space and would require me to either build or buy a new rack.

So my short list is:

1) Adcom 7607 (125x7)

2) ATI 1807 (180x7)

3) BK AV125.7 (125x7)

4) Lexicon CX7 (150x7?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.