AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone -

I wanted to solicit some opinions about speaker brands. I am in the market to upgrade my front sound stage.

To give everyone an idea of where I'm coming from: I had been extremely interested in the new Usher Mini 2's. I love the value, reputation and craftsmanship that Usher brings to their products, and the Mini 2's seemed like a terrific blend of size, function and presence. They are also gorgeous, well constructed speakers. However, I demoed them at my dealers house this past weekend and while they are fantastic speakers, they weren't HT speakers. The sound stage was compressed, and (IMO) lacked detail. This demo was in his living room with optimal conditions, not a show room, so I don't think I'd have much of a different experience in my house. Don't get me wrong, fantastic, beautiful speakers, but they didn't excel at what I felt was important for HT.

Because I can't hide my speakers behind the screen right now, I'm looking for something that not only sounds great, but also is visually appealing for the significant other when the lights are on. We listened to the PSB Synchrony towers (my fiance thought they looked "boring"), which I very much liked, but wanted to look at some other options.

Love bang for the buck, slightly lesser known brands like Usher.

%92 movies.

Any things come to mind I should put on my short-list to listen to?

·
Registered
490 Posts
At that price point, its really up to you. So many choices and so many great speakers.

Maybe take a look at the Paradigm Signature and Studio lines. It would be a nice way to use that budget

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Salk, Dynaudio, B&W, Paradigm, Aerial, Tyler, PSB are some examples of great speakers in your price range.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich /forum/post/18240358

Salk, Dynaudio, B&W, Paradigm, Aerial, Tyler, PSB are some examples of great speakers in your price range.

Besides Paradigm, can anyone comment on the appropriateness of some of these brands in a over %90 home theater application? I was so obviously barking up the wrong tree with the very audiophile centered, music focused Usher Mini 2's.

Ideally, I'd love to have giant boxes behind the screen, but for right now that just isn't feasible (and won't be until I construct something from the ground up. At some point, but not immediate). I know for HT applications I'm looking at needing power, speed, and dynamic ability. I invision 2-channel listening to be occuring

·
Registered
5,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga /forum/post/18240390

Besides Paradigm, can anyone comment on the appropriateness of some of these brands in a over %90 home theater application? I was so obviously barking up the wrong tree with the very audiophile centered, music focused Usher Mini 2's.

Ideally, I'd love to have giant boxes behind the screen, but for right now that just isn't feasible (and won't be until I construct something from the ground up. At some point, but not immediate). I know for HT applications I'm looking at needing power, speed, and dynamic ability. I invision 2-channel listening to be occuring

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just wanted to throw in a recommendation for Selah Audio, which is 30 minutes away from you. Their floorstanders are expensive but two of the MTM models are in your price range.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich /forum/post/18240475

I was in a similar scenario as you. I had Von Schweikert speakers for 4 years before moving to the Paradigm Studio v5 a couple of months ago. In the Von Schweikert line-up the LCR15 center channel was the weakpoint for home theater but the left and right were great for 2 channel music. With the Paradigm Studio v5 speakers the cc590 center channel is the strong point (better then the Von Schweikert center I was using) but the left and right speakers are a small step back when listening to 2 channel music (treble, sound stage,etc). In the end I realized I spent 95% of my time watching TV, blu ray or playing XBOX games and that the Paradigm Studio V5 speakers were great HT speakers and suited my particular needs better then the Von Schweikert speakers. If I was 50% music instead (for example), then I think my old speakers would have suited my needs better.

Thanks for the thoughts. Good to know I'm not crazy in not liking some of these speakers for theater.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigga /forum/post/18240252

Good morning everyone -

We listened to the PSB Synchrony towers (my fiance thought they looked "boring"), which I very much liked, but wanted to look at some other options.

Love bang for the buck, slightly lesser known brands like Usher.

%92 movies.

Any things come to mind I should put on my short-list to listen to?

Most of us have to deal with the WAF in one way or another. what are some other speakers she thinks look good?

As far as pure HT or at least 90% HT, i would say JTR or Seaton, both have attractive (in my opinion) wood veneers, although two of the catalysts is just over your price range.

also sparks available (which i have on order) but no veneers for those yet.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by savefarris /forum/post/18240708

Most of us have to deal with the WAF in one way or another. what are some other speakers she thinks look good?

As far as pure HT or at least 90% HT, i would say JTR or Seaton, both have attractive (in my opinion) wood veneers, although two of the catalysts is just over your price range.

also sparks available (which i have on order) but no veneers for those yet.

She liked the Ushers

I need to try and find someone in my area that has JTR's to listen to. I just sent her a picture of those to see how she likes it

What are "sparks"?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/18240837

Are looks super important?

There are some great speakers from JTR, Seaton, and Danley that are ideal for HT (dynamic, efficient, high SPL, etc.). You can get veneer...but their aesthetics aren't the number 1 priority.

In theory, for me, performance is the #1 priority and you have listed three brands that are most definitely on the short list when I go behind the screen. But yes, while they are in front of the screen, my fiance (wife in May) has mandated that they be ascetically pleasing.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies /forum/post/18241064

Take a look at the in room Triad Gold LCR's.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irglcr.html

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irgctr.html

You should be able to get them in a beautiful wood veneer in your price range. These will be fantastic for HT.

Just a comment on that...

These are actually "LCRs," and they are tailored for home theater and use with a subwoofer. You haven't mentioned a subwoofer in this thread.
An LCR is optimized for response over 80 Hz (50 Hz in the case of the Gold LCR), and that usually yields greater sensitivity and power handling. Many of the brands mentioned here are excellent 2-channel speakers, but they lack the headroom needed for home theater. It's important to use the appropriate speaker for the application, and, for example, an 86 dB full-range front speaker, regardless of how exquisite it sounds in a small 2-channel venue, is wrong for serious home theater. The Gold LCR is $2,000 each, and has 92 dB sensitivity.

Johnsteph10 made some good recommendations, and the new Seaton stuff actually looks decent, too.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/18241618

You haven't mentioned a subwoofer in this thread.

I have a 1 JL Audio F113 sub. Hoping to add another in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/18241618

Many of the brands mentioned here are excellent 2-channel speakers, but they lack the headroom needed for home theater.

This is absolutely what I'm realizing...just looking for some good options that aren't hideous to place in a room.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts