AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my HTPC up and running and copying all my DVD's to it. I'm networked so that I can also do ripping and Media Center Master data downloading through my main PC. Thought I had all the meta data straightened out, but I have some really weird stuff going on.

Before I get too far into it, does 7MC have a cache or something that it pulls artwork from? For example MCM pulled the wrong movie on a couple, I cleared the meta data, downloaded the correct meta data, and made sure it had the right artwork, but 7MC on my main PC is still seeing the old artwork?

Does it only read the dvdid.xml made by MCM, or does it also read the mymovies.xml? For some reason 7MC on teh PC shows the movie description, but it does not on the HTPC (just shows the title)?

I'm confused.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 7MC Movie Library is missing a lot of support for metadata. That's why almost everyone who's doing what you are have adopted plugins like Media Browser, MyMovies, etc. I use Media Browser myself, and also use Media Center Master to gather metadata. The two together are sweet. You should consider adopting one if you really want a "rich" experience. I think a lot of us are keeping our fingers crossed hoping Microsoft will add similar features to the built-in Movie Library.

We're crossing our fingers because we're not willing to hold our breath.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just don't understand how one computer see the right artwork while the other doesn't, and one displays the descriptions while the other doesn't. Actually I take that back, the main PC shows most of the descriptions except a couple, the HTPC actually shows the description for most of those that the PC didn't, but not any of the others which the main PC does. Also the actual meta data and folder.jpg in the actual movie folders are correct, I don't know why one machine is still seeing the old folder.jpg that I replaced. I've removed and readded the movie folders to the libraries, but they are still acting the same on both machines.

I may try media browser, but at this point MCM does all I want it to, pull art and description. It's the 7MC's that are a problem, and i don't understand how.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/19611306

I just don't understand how one computer see the right artwork while the other doesn't, and one displays the descriptions while the other doesn't. Actually I take that back, the main PC shows most of the descriptions except a couple, the HTPC actually shows the description for most of those that the PC didn't, but not any of the others which the main PC does. Also the actual meta data and folder.jpg in the actual movie folders are correct, I don't know why one machine is still seeing the old folder.jpg that I replaced. I've removed and readded the movie folders to the libraries, but they are still acting the same on both machines.

I may try media browser, but at this point MCM does all I want it to, pull art and description. It's the 7MC's that are a problem, and i don't understand how.

Well that's what he was saying...7MC's movie library is crap and buggy. Basically don't use it.

Using a plugin like Media Browser or MyMovies you use that to browse your movie collection and play movies and totally ignore that the built in 7MC movie library even exists (and many of us just remove it from the 7MC menu).

MCM gets the metadata that Media Browser or MyMovies (or 7MC for that matter) will use to display your movies. Media Browser and MyMovies fully support proper metadata. 7MC doesn't.

So honestly, stop trying to use 7MC's movie library as it's junk and pretty much worthless.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, just tried Media Browser. It's ok, but I like the 7MC Movie interface much better, a long banner of large posters, with the descriptions underneath. I'll use MB if I have to but I think I figured out what to do to fix 7MC. The problems are not random. It does seem to have an issue loading info into the cache folders (which I found). I'm going to try something...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it seems 7MC is pulling the .xml made by MCM, using the file name but changing the text of the file, and inserting that into the dvdinfocache and dvdcovercache. So I have the format 7MC uses. I don't know how to force it to do this though, seems to do randomly on its own. Anyone know of program that can convert all the MCM xml files to this format?

Using MB some more it seems alright. Believe it or not the deal breaker for me is the play state. I hate that it greys played movies and the only way to reset is to clear the cache. They should add teh ability to turn it off. Displaying a list of titles with different colors is annoying, I don't care whether or not I watched the movie.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Media Browser has a theme for almost every taste (I like the Chocolate Theme) and a bunch of configuration options. You can turn this feature off by de-selecting "Watched Indicator on videos" in the Media Browser configurator.

·
Registered
664 Posts
There are a ton of ways to customize the MB interface; I'd suggest you keep working on that to get it to look the way you like. I've never heard anyone say "I like 7MC better" after they find the theme in MB that they like.

Basically, I concur with what everyone else here has said, 7MC is useless to me; MB is 10X the program that it is for browsing movies/TV series. There are others (MyMovies, etc), but I like MB. However, I've never heard someone go from one of the "enhanced" libraries back to 7MC, you just have to find what works best for you in your chosen interface..

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/19611797

Ok, just tried Media Browser. It's ok, but I like the 7MC Movie interface much better, a long banner of large posters, with the descriptions underneath. I'll use MB if I have to but I think I figured out what to do to fix 7MC. The problems are not random. It does seem to have an issue loading info into the cache folders (which I found). I'm going to try something...

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:

on any screen in mediabrowser you can click the wrench and change the view to a variety of different styles... every screen, like the folder selection, movie selection...etc can have a different view. I have used media browser for quite sometime and there isn't much that can compete... maybe XBMC...

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 /forum/post/19612966

i have used media browser for quite sometime and there isn't much that can compete...

+1

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:

Ok, just tried Media Browser. It's ok, but I like the 7MC Movie interface much better, a long banner of large posters, with the descriptions underneath.

As others have mentioned you can very easily change MB to do exactly this by customizing the theme view and you can customize each "page" so your folder view looks different from the movie flow view and so forth. Also there are dozens of different themes all of which have different features and views so try out a few. I also love the Diamond theme so give that one a try.

Also as mentioned, you can turn off the watched tracking in the MB settings. Be sure to check out all the various config options. Also, since you are using MCM for metadata, be sure to turn off "internet providers" in MB. That way MB will only look at your local metadata that you get with MCM.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/19612361

Using MB some more it seems alright. Believe it or not the deal breaker for me is the play state. I hate that it greys played movies and the only way to reset is to clear the cache. They should add teh ability to turn it off. Displaying a list of titles with different colors is annoying, I don't care whether or not I watched the movie.

To add to all of the above responses:

MB is highly customizable to individual needs, much more than 7MC.

Not to try and force someone to go a particular route, but I believe you probably haven't used it to its full potential.

The various themes need to be installed from the initial configurator (outside of MC). Go to 'Advanced' and click on 'Plugins'. Then select the theme you wish to install. Once the theme is installed, it will show up inside the MB options. The 'Pearl' theme is the best and the most fluid, however it is not free anymore. It requires a donor support key to keep progress in MB alive. The developer/s have done a great job and a $10 donation is worth it (IMO).

Even with the free themes you will have your hands full. You can customize the front end icons for each of your collection categories or media type.

for instance, I have 8 categories: DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, TV Series, Documentaries and so on.

Then there is EHS (Enhanced Home Screen) which I don't like for most of the themes, so I disable it. Also, I unchecked most of the count indicators and indexing etc.

You will have to play around with it to find what you really like and that is the best part about this HTPC hobby.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehowell /forum/post/19612907

Media Browser has a theme for almost every taste (I like the Chocolate Theme) and a bunch of configuration options. You can turn this feature off by de-selecting "Watched Indicator on videos" in the Media Browser configurator.

I have all those unchecked and it is still displaying the movie I started watching with a blue name, while all the movies I haven't tried to play are white. If I empty the cache it goes back to a white name. ??

·
Registered
273 Posts
There are settings both in the media browser configure guide... as well as in windows media center, under the wrench... if both are not setup than this will happen... I have about 50 blu rays stored on my htpc so far and i do not have this issue, i am using the chocolate theme incase your wondering...

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/19614377

I have all those unchecked and it is still displaying the movie I started watching with a blue name, while all the movies I haven't tried to play are white. If I empty the cache it goes back to a white name. ??

One of the cache clearing items is for watched data. Clear it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the watched boxes unchecked in both the configurator and through 7MC. Yes if I clear the cache it goes back to normal, but I don't want to have to that all the time, nor does my family, just to keep the list from getting cluttered with some blue names, some white names...

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
You don't. That's the whole point of turning it off, it won't track anything anymore. It's never tracked anything for me since it was the first thing I turned off when I ran the config app before using it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It works correctly for me using these settings (see pic). I even turned off the Chocolate Theme, watched a DVD, and made sure it wasn't tracked in the Default Theme.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.