AVS Forum banner

What streaming option do you use with 7MC?

  • Microsoft internet TV

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hulu desktop

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Netflix plug-in

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SecondRunTV

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MacroTube

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxee

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XBMC

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My observations on the status of streaming content within 7MC:


Microsoft Internet TV

Pros: Excellent integration, fantastic user interface, easy to use

Cons: Very limited content, puzzling worthless segments instead of full shows


MacroTube

Pros: Excelent integration, very well done UI

Cons: Very limited content, will not play many selections, no user option to add content


SecondRunTV

Pros: user option to add content

Cons: most built in content will not play, UI is not good for remote control operation, not much different than opening a browser and going to the site


Hulu desktop (overall the best option)

Pros: fantastic UI, lots of content, free, well linked to 7MC (with plug-in)

Cons: very minor, ability to store favorites, commercials


Netflix plug-in

Pros: UI, 7MC integration, selection

Cons: Image quality (tearing or judder, chose the least objectionable to you)


I have not yet tried Boxee, that might be next, with the plugin to launch from 7MC

So what are most AVS readers using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 /forum/post/19598181


Zinc.tv. It integrates content from Hulu, ABC, CBS, NBC, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Netflix, etc..You have to use MediaCenter Studio to integrate it with 7MC.

Interesting.


How do you add this in mediabrowser?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,653 Posts
I've looked at Zinc before and just checked it again because of this thread. My issue with it is the last update was back in January and very little action on the forums and several recent issues with network websites seem unresolved. It is free though so worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check out zinc.tv It looks like another possible option.


I checked MS internet TV again and there seems to be more content. Not sure if I did not give it a chance or they update it periodically...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
In the UK, TunerFree MCE is a great option. Integrates right into the 7MC front end, and allows streaming of most UK channels and some US ones.


Remember Hulu, Netflix etc are a no-go for anyone outside the US
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
Interesting to see a different perspective.


Here is my grade of the top three.


Microsoft Internet TV (could be great - but it is not)

Pros: Very good integration, free

Cons: Extremely limited selection of content that is mostly useless video clips, overly sensitive to bandwidth contraints, certain content selections transition to alternate Zune UI making specific content very hard to find


Hulu desktop (second best option)

Pros: Lots of content, free, can be linked to 7MC with plug-in

Cons: Not well integrated with 7MC, UI very different and does not use same remote control functions, commercials, commercial playback somewhat buggy, time consuming to navigate/search using a traditional remote control, playback navigation (FF/RW/Skip) behaves differently than 7MC.


Netflix plug-in (best option)

Pros: Lots of content, commercial free, decent integration with 7MC

Cons: Video quality varies - some very poor, not free, UI different than 7MC, UI slow (does not seem to cache title data or cover art), somewhat sensitive to bandwidth issues (does not seem to pre-cache enough), playback navigation behaves differently than 7MC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum /forum/post/19614287


Interesting to see a different perspective.


Here is my grade of the top three.


Microsoft Internet TV (could be great - but it is not)

Exactly! They have the resources and have demonstrated the capability, what gives? Why walk away from a technology leadership position by not striking agreements for content?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum /forum/post/19614287


Hulu desktop (second best option)

Pros: Lots of content, free, can be linked to 7MC with plug-in

Cons: Not well integrated with 7MC, UI very different and does not use same remote control functions, commercials, commercial playback somewhat buggy, time consuming to navigate/search using a traditional remote control, playback navigation (FF/RW/Skip) behaves differently than 7MC.

Curious what remote you use? I have the Hauppauge remote for the HVR-1250 and I just added some lines to my remote.ini file to make it emulate the MS MCE remote. Maybe I just got used to the UI that Hulu designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum /forum/post/19614287



Netflix plug-in (best option)

Pros: Lots of content, commercial free, decent integration with 7MC

Cons: Video quality varies - some very poor, not free, UI different than 7MC, UI slow (does not seem to cache title data or cover art), somewhat sensitive to bandwidth issues (does not seem to pre-cache enough), playback navigation behaves differently than 7MC.

yes, wish they would improve the video quality, make it as good as the roku.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I have started using Amazon Unbox and it works great. I run the Amazon unbox service on the HTPC running 7MC. My wife and I can browse amazon.com with our desktop or laptop and rent movies or TV shows. The unbox service will automatically download rentals and put them into the my videos section on the HTPC. You can start to watch seconds after you purchase, it starts downloading and allows you to start playback of the rental.


Still somewhat limited selection but they do have some good recent rentals not available on NetFlix streaming.

http://www.amazon.com/Video-On-Deman...&node=16261631

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/player


I realize that Amazon has promoted this for connected devices (Blu-ray players, Roku boxes, and HDTV's ) but I was not aware how well it integrated with Windows Media Center.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape /forum/post/19791988


Update: I have started using Amazon Unbox and it works great. I run the Amazon unbox service on the HTPC running 7MC. My wife and I can browse amazon.com with our desktop or laptop and rent movies or TV shows. The unbox service will automatically download rentals and put them into the my videos section on the HTPC. You can start to watch seconds after you purchase, it starts downloading and allows you to start playback of the rental.


Still somewhat limited selection but they do have some good recent rentals not available on NetFlix streaming.

http://www.amazon.com/Video-On-Deman...&node=16261631

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/player


I realize that Amazon has promoted this for connected devices (Blu-ray players, Roku boxes, and HDTV's ) but I was not aware how well it integrated with Windows Media Center.

Is this in 5.1 or 2 channel only?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues /forum/post/19792262


Is this in 5.1 or 2 channel only?

here is what Amazon says "Watch the entire Amazon Video On Demand library, including HD titles in 5.1 Surround Sound, instantly on your television."


I only have 2ch so I do not know if this is for every method of playback or not. BTW, if it was not clear, when I check out a rental I select the download option. Playback is never hindered by Internet connection speed. The file is on the HTPC hard drive so not exactly streaming like when we play netflix or Hulu.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top