AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this very noticeable or not? I thought these panels were basically the same, but then I saw the color spec. Seems like a huge difference.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Overkill. Your eyes can probably only distinguish up to the number of colors in an average size box of crayola crayons. ;)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
And again... :D :D :D

The "7UY" and "50/500" Models have the same displayable colors:

Full time 3.62 billion (Maximum 8.52 billion in low brightness area). :)

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A "logarithm opportunity": for us geeks who think in binary, how many bits is that? Sounds like maybe 33 bits worth or so in total, but would like to hear the details. Presumably uses more bits internally than the plasma can display, for example.

In particular, if it is using more than 8-bits RGB internally, then doesn't the HDMI blade make more sense than the DVI one, so that one could send 10 bits YCrCb? Or does nobody really send that many bits per pixel over HDMI yet?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:
In particular, if it is using more than 8-bits RGB internally, then doesn't the HDMI blade make more sense than the DVI one, so that one could send 10 bits YCrCb? Or does nobody really send that many bits per pixel over HDMI yet?
Can you expand on the HDMI vs. DVI statement, particularly the number of bits transmitted?

After lurking here forever, I have decided to get the TH-42PHD8UK, and need to decide between the HDMI and DVI blade. Since I have no intention of ever passing sound through the panel, coupled with some minor grumbling in these threads regarding use of the HDMI blade with the Gen 7 panels, I thought the DVI blade might be the safer choice.

But your statement implies that the HDMI blades pass more information (or more accurately, are capable of passing more video information) relative to the DVI blade.

Is that true?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
DVI is limited to 8 bits per pixel. HDMI is capable of both higher total bandwidth (of which we are using only a small fraction) and 10 bit color depth. It is also designed for longer cable runs. (I have never seen a reference to 12 bit color depth, but if someone has a reference, great.)

There was one report on the forum recently of an upconverting DVD player that was transferring 10 bits but I don't remember which one.

That said I still think if you are buying one today, the best choice is DVI if you want to connect a computer and HDMI if you don't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19
(I have never seen a reference to 12 bit color depth, but if someone has a reference, great.)
The new Samsungs claim 12-bit color, but I'm not sure if that support comes on the pre-signal or post-signal side of the processing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well the Panasonic web site says the 8UY has "up to 14-bit signal processing" and "4096 shades of gradation", which is what led me to think it might take more than 8 bits per color per pixel. Note the original thread title refers to the 7UY series which did not make these claims. Let us hope this is not another mistake "lost in translation" like the 1/8" bezel that turned out to be a 0.8" bezel!

I suppose the DVD discussion might be best in the DVD forum, but my guess was that if a player (e.g. the Denon 1920, midrange at $350 MSRP) had 10-bit more more video DACs, that it would just send those same bits out over HDMI. But I asked if anyone knew for sure. If you started with a non copy protected source, there should be a way to actually capture the bits and see how many there are with information. I suppose one could advertise 12-bit DACs and then set the low four bits always to zero.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aykew
The new Samsungs claim 12-bit color, but I'm not sure if that support comes on the pre-signal or post-signal side of the processing.
This would be the internal color processing (how many bits it used to interpolate colors when scaling). Not directly relevant to how many colors are coming in over the input.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75
Overkill. Your eyes can probably only distinguish up to the number of colors in an average size box of crayola crayons. ;)
Actually, the reason for the apparent overkill has nothing to do with the number of colors the eye can see, which is a bit more than a box of crayolas, but was probably well exceeded by the time the number hit the million range. It just gives the panel more data to work with. In practice, the result is most likely to be noticed as a reduction in false contouring.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You need 8-bit color to fool the eye. On some displays, you apparently need >8-bit processing to get the display to do its thing properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.