AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed my UTV never quite records as much as I thought it would.

I wound up losing some shows recently when I went on vacation. When I came back I watched a bunch of recorded shows until I was low enough to record new ones!

Right now I have a total of 10 recorded shows for 8 hours and 31 mins of time, but my history shows me at 52% full.

3 SNL's,6 South Parks and 1 Law and Order shouldnt be half my drive space, should it? At this rate, I can only record another 8 hours for a total of 16 hours, alot less than the 35 hours I should have

Ive been leaving it on "my shows", but not turning it off, to no avail.

What gives??

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm having the same problems. Last night I had 7 1/2 hours recorded and my history showed that 51% of my space was used! Until a couple of weeks ago I could consistently save about 25 hours before before I was alerted that some shows might be deleted. Anyone know what could have caused this drop in available space? I understand that some shows might take up more space than others but "The Practice" which I deleted the other night took up 8%!!!! Something is defiinitely wrong here!

Another thing I've noticed is that the live buffer is taking up 3%. When I go to My Shows while watching live TV and check the history it shows 51% used space. If I am watching a recorded show, stop the recording and go to My Shows with no moving pictures in the window, the history then shows 48% used space.

Any tips on restoring the usable space would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I received the 3.7 upgrade on Tuesday, but this problem started a few weeks ago before the upgrade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Ive been leaving it on "my shows", but not turning it off, to no avail."

You need to shut off your UTV when you leave it on My shows, to get it to defrag properly. But I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know about you, but to me the PQ has gone up a bit in the past month or so. It was getting pretty bad through fall and the the holiday season. I've also noticed that some of the more recent recordings on my Tivo are of higher bit rate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have never been able to get over 20 hours of recording on mine without it being full. They lie to you, you can't get 35 hours, it you want more, you have to get a bigger hard drive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by play_this_game
IThey lie to you, you can't get 35 hours, it you want more, you have to get a bigger hard drive.
They lie? You crack me up. First off its up to 35 hours, 5, 15, and 35 all fit this description. Second People forget a few things when they count up how hours they have recorded. A show may say 3 hours but UTV may have recordred 3.5. All shows are padded, and some more then others. So when you add up to 15 you most likey have around 18. Thrid, differnt show take up differnt amounts of space. A DD5.1 widescreen movie will take up a lot more then a standard stero movie. Don't forget about SAP. Lots movement? That takes up more space too. Forth, hard dirve can lose sectors, they become unusable and therefore space goes down. Think about, if you leave your UTV on the HDD is being have reads/writes done to it 24/7/365. IDE drives are NOT meant to have that done to them.

Do they lie, no. Cancel your service now if you think they are lying to you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Personally, I don't think 'lie' is such a stretch. Has anyone gotten anywhere near 35 hours with the original 40GB Seagate. I'd be very surprised if you could even get 30 with the 40GB drive no matter what you are recording.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think Directv has changed compression so I think recording time has gone down because compression is lower.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wick77
A DD5.1 widescreen movie will take up a lot more then a standard stero movie.
While the DD5.1 audio probably does take more space, Directv's "widescreen" programming is really lettterbox. Which is 4:3 with black bars on the top and bottom. Theoretically the LB shows should take less space because the black bars should compress alot more than a normal 4:3 picture.

Jay

·
Registered
17 Posts
They lie? You crack me up.

Well, I guess it is a figure of speech, but you might as well call it lying, because I have never known anyone being able to record anywhere near 35 hours. By the way, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. I tried personally to get the most possible. I tested my hard drive once, sets of t.v. series. I would manually record it when it came on and stop it when it went off the air. So my recordings were not padded. I got only 20 hours of total recording before the shows started automatically erasing when I recorded another one. I am happy with the service, but wish they gave a better approximate recording total when selling the product. Oh and Wick, try the spellcheck next time before posting, Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah but 8 south parks and a few SNL's and Law and order? these are not 5.1 widescreen movies we're talking about.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by regal1988
Yeah but 8 south parks and a few SNL's and Law and order? these are not 5.1 widescreen movies we're talking about.

8 1/2 hours at 52% is on the low side, but not unheard of. It has been a while since I had an unmodifided UTV, but I recall maxing out at around 23 total hours. It is possible one or more of the recorded shows is reporting its' size incorrectly. If I was seeing these types of problems, I would delete all my recordings, tune to channel 1020 and power down. Then I would unplug the UTV for 10 minutes and restart. After I restarted, I would then pick a channel and schedule about 24 to 30 straight hours of recordings and see what happened. Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the same problem. Sometime in April my system stop holding over 25 to 30 hours of recording and now only holds about 10 hours. The system never used to do this. I don't know when it exactly happened but I cannot recover the space. I have watched every show and deleted it but cannot get over 10 hours of space.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
That is very odd, and I don't think any new compression is at fault here. I currently have 24.5 hours of recorded material (various show types) and am at 84% with my 40GB drive. I should have room (at that rate) for about 4 more programs. Currently, one program has a warning (!) symbol on it as there is 7 hours of programming scheduled to record tomorrow, starting at 4PM (1 movie on HBO and 5 shows). I assume more warnings will occur as the time to record those items approaches if I don't delete anything (I'm watching the 2 hr Alias Finale as I write this, so I will be creating more space soon).

It's possible bad sectors on the drive may be to blame. If you can clean off the drive, put it in standby overnight and let it perform it's maintenance tasks. Maybe you'll be able to recover the space that way.

·
Registered
354 Posts
lgroveman,

If the standby on 1020 overnight didn't do the trick, watch and delete all My Shows.

Then run code 23552355.

If you don't watch all your shows first you won't be able to. They & everything else but the OS on your hard disc (hopefully including the glitch that misreads available or used disc space) will be gone.

Let us know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm having the same lost space problem and would like to try these solutions. How do you put the UTV on standby overnight?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone try the code and see if it's worked.

I upgrade my drive to brand new 120gb WD BB and have only 20-25 hours max on it as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hartwise
How do you put the UTV on standby overnight?
Tune to channel 1020 then press the power button on the box, not the remote, 3 times in rapid succession.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by watching
Tune to channel 1020 then press the power button on the box, not the remote, 3 times in rapid succession.
You don't have to go that far with it. Just tuning to 1020 and hitting the power button on either the remote or the UTV will put it into standby. You really don't even have to turn to 1020. That's just to be assured nothing is buffering even though the unit won't buffer in standby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 120GB upgrade (up to 105 hours, variable...according to the system!). I have 15 hours recorded...and the system says I am 36% full.

Has the standby procedure helped anyone yet?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.