AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nice chat with the ReplayTV Operations Manager @ DNNA and was asked to post some clarifications.

You can't be more authoritative than that (well, I guess you can if you got it direct not through me)
  • The shutdown was not a contract negotiation ploy with anyone.
  • The shutdown was not forced by the FCC.
  • The revival was to *HELP CUSTOMERS* and give them more time for other solutions.
  • DNNA has no plans to make the machines blow up
  • DNNA has no plans to re-lock the machines (change keys, etc)
  • DNNA has is working on plans to start charging for monthlies.
  • DNNA may change monthly unit activation status to monthly at that time
  • DNNA will not charge any CC's on file w/o permission
  • DNNA will remove the current nag message in a few weeks (not October)
  • DNNA is fine with people moving to WiRNS/SD or Perc/LaHo... even encourages it!

DNNA staff does read the forums and finds some of the theories creative and funny.

Some may feel corporations are evil, but in reality they are run by people just like you and me. Yes, some people are jerks, but that's true in everything. I've have numerous discussions and find the people involved to be intelligent, honest, and *CARING* people.

Feel free to wordsmith the comments above. They are paraphrased anyway.
If you try and read anything into them based on word order or typos, you're spending more time on it than the author.

We were given a gift of continued guide service. Let's be thankful and enjoy it

Robert

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
... best intentions and all...

What's more important is what isn't mentioned.

*clarifications* is code for more spin. And of course there's the "spin" of the "spin" on top of that.

If it smells like a duck it sure ain't a cow.

(we'll enjoy the gift with the realization that's not the whole story if even half of it)

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebubby /forum/post/20775785

So, if I switch both of my replaytv units over to WiRNS/SD will I need to keep paying DNNA when they restart monthly billing?

Paying DNNA for what?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebubby /forum/post/20775785

So, if I switch both of my replaytv units over to WiRNS/SD will I need to keep paying DNNA when they restart monthly billing?

Nope.

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden /forum/post/20775678

I had a nice chat with the ReplayTV Operations Manager @ DNNA and was asked to post some clarifications.

We were given a gift of continued guide service. Let's be thankful and enjoy it

Robert

Thank you, Robert. It is too bad that what they actually give to their reps to share with us is completely confusing to them and to us. If they could just be honest and straightforward with their reps, and in turn, with us, then we might feel more confident (maybe). If you speak with them soon again, maybe you could ask if they could better inform their reps so what we learn and then share here isn't just entertaining, but also accurate.

I am thankful that you have a direct way to communicate and get better information. Did they happen to mention what types of changes they ARE required or going to make? I would all rather that they don't do anything (other than what is needed for the monthlys).

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside /forum/post/20775938

Really? Are you saying that DNNA has no plan to "deactivate" the monthly units?

Yup.. go to WiRNS, LaHo... whatever.. they wish you well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thanks for updates. It's good that they won't charge the CC without consent (I was expecting that anyway).

Yep, even if I had a "lifetime" unit with them, I have no bad feelings toward them - they released the keys, that's more than MOST of the corporations out there would do!

Their hardware is a piece of technical marvel if people are still using it now. Sure, it is SD only, but who cares? Most of the shows that I record (at highest quality) are looking good enough to me.

If they would come up with a HD device that supports access cards I would go back to them in a second.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden /forum/post/20775678

I had a nice chat with the ReplayTV Operations Manager @ DNNA and was asked to post some clarifications...
  • The revival was to *HELP CUSTOMERS* and give them more time for other solutions.
  • DNNA has no plans to make the machines blow up
  • DNNA has no plans to re-lock the machines (change keys, etc)
  • DNNA has is working on plans to start charging for monthlies.
  • DNNA may change monthly unit activation status to monthly at that time
  • DNNA is fine with people moving to WiRNS/SD or Perc/LaHo... even encourages it!
DNNA staff does read the forums and finds some of the theories creative and funny.

...I've have numerous discussions and find the people involved to be intelligent, honest, and *CARING* people...
DNNA Staff,

THANK YOU for providing the 'Trigger(s)' that inspired / allowed our resident ReplayTV Gurus to create MULTIPLE solutions that will allow us 'Diehards' to continue to enjoy our wonderful ReplayTVs for as long as possible.

[Thanks Cindy!
]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67
I have no bad feelings toward them - they released the keys, that's more than MOST of the corporations out there would do!.

I agree. I always thought they were acting in good faith after this happened.

As I see it the non-networked Replay users benfit the most from continued EPG service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67
Their hardware is a pice of technical marvel if people are still using it now. Sure, it is SD only, but who cares? Most of the shows that I record (at highest quality) are looking good enough to me.

If they would come up with a HD device that supports access cards I would go back to them in a second.
Yeah if you're like me with failing eyesight any definition is good.

The biggest advantage of true HD is the aspect ratio. I can't stand to watch

4:3 streched like silly putty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you find out why they were planning to shutdown the service (besides to save money). I don't think it has anything to do with digital since my ReplayTV works just fine with my Comcast DTA, it even has the correct Motorola IR code factory installed.

How long do they plan to keep the service up, do they have a new date for shutdown planned?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you DNNA folks really read this, know that I usually fret for months (sometimes years) over a component purchase, but my Replay was a quick and easy decision. It is easily my most used a/v component by a long shot. I wore out my first remote and am on my second. I make iPad worshipers blush at their comparatively low level of enthusiasm. I was so depressed about the shut down and am so elated that it did not happen. THANK YOU DNNA !

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thank you Robert for getting official info. The conspiracy theories were getting out of hand and now we can put them to rest once and for all.

Had a feeling this change was something we can take as positive and glad to see they're fine with people taking advantage of the LaHo option.

Thanks again DNNA for continued service of my lifetime replaytv!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the real reason they continued the service is pressure from Panasonic. Panasonic is a $100 billion corporation. They probably spend more on paper clips than it would cost to continue the service. They probably are subsidizing the continuance to maintain goodwill with their customers.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Quote:
he biggest shock to me is that DNNA had/has a dedicated replaytv operations manager...if they were shutting down the service why pay an operations manager all these years since the last update years ago what exactly were they overseeing?

Does no one here know how car sales works?

"Hey, Bill, can you be the internet manager? I've got a hot one."

Do you see where this is going? "Hey, who wants to be the Replay operations manager? Some nutcase is on the phone."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.