AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together a surround sound system in my appartment. The room is is about 12x14

I currently have an NAD T763 and Klipsch KG4's. Since the KG4's have large passive radiators I was thinking I might get away with a Klipsch RW8.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Not a chance for a room of that size I'd look into SVS PB1000 minimum.

I have a subwoofer with a 8" driver. It's crap. Also a subwoofer like that would hardly go any lower than your main speakers.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbellybill  /t/1525297/8-in-sub-big-enoghh#post_24554708

Since the KG4's have large passive radiators I was thinking I might get away with a Klipsch RW8.
In order to reach the same output level as the mains the physical size of the subs must be at least twice that of the mains, combined. You have four eight inch drivers in the mains. A pair of fifteen inch loaded subs would be a reasonable match.

On the flip side of the coin, if one eight or ten provides all the lows you need then having KG4 mains is massive overkill.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
There is no such thing as too much subwoofer. If the budget allows I would recommend a 12" at a minimum. You may or may not want to add another one later but you might find the 8" in need of upgrade pretty quickly. I have an 8" sub attached to my computer and I sit about 1 foot away from it since it is under the desk. I'm in the process of upgrading it right now.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
There is no such thing as too much subwoofer

Disagree with that, getting a JL Fathom F212 in a kids room is too much subwoofer. You can go over the top. I did too, PC Ultra 13 in a small room.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbellybill  /t/1525297/8-in-sub-big-enoghh#post_24554708

I'm trying to put together a surround sound system in my appartment. The room is is about 12x14

I currently have an NAD T763 and Klipsch KG4's. Since the KG4's have large passive radiators I was thinking I might get away with a Klipsch RW8.

An 8-inch subwoofer is not going to add a thing to what the KG4 already can do. That would be a waste of money.

I suggest that you get the Klipsch RW12D.

You definitely want a 12" subwoofer.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
The Klipsch RW12d is no longer in production and the last of the new units from newegg disappeared a while ago....and while okay at $300 on clearance, I'd look elsewhere otherwise (the replacement goes for $500 IIRC). I do believe there's a forum member in socal trying to sell one or two, though.

I'd agree to either skip the sub or get a decent sized one. In an apartment using your speakers/sub at levels they're capable of can be another issue....

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1525297/8-in-sub-big-enoghh#post_24554964

Disagree with that, getting a JL Fathom F212 in a kids room is too much subwoofer.

In what way?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbellybill  /t/1525297/8-in-sub-big-enoghh#post_24555508

I was looking at a rw12D but looks like they are no longer easy to find new.

Is there a particular reason you are only looking at Klipsch subs? There are much better out there at all price points.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbellybill  /t/1525297/8-in-sub-big-enoghh#post_24555991

I have 2 klipsch Kg4's and figured I'd get a sub next and then work on center channel and rears. Any input is great!

Look elsewhere for subs, unless you can get a really good deal on a klipsch sub. And I mean REALLY good.

As for the sub, what are you wanting out of it? ULF extension, max volume, home theater or music etc....

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:

Passive radiator size does not give a too-small subwoofer driver a dynamic range advantage. Passive radiators are used to reduce the size of the enclosure, not increase the size of the subwoofer driver.

Unless you are talking small computer speakers, subwoofers start get interesting at 12" drivers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts