AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace both my 8 inch aperion subs. Had them 8 years now and while they are still working and sound good I'd like to get two 8 inch subs in black and maybe upgrade the SQ.

My needs though are a little particular i need the subs to have dual RCA outputs along with the dual RCA inputs as i daisy chain my current subs on my system and I'd like to keep it that way

So I need 2 8 inch subs in black with dual rca inputs and outputs at least 150 watts RMS and under 600$ a piece.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leninGHOLA /forum/post/20868046

Can you not just use an RCA Y splitter? You only need 1 input per.

STF-1 are on sale

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html

tried it and did not like it, the way my setup is done I'd just much prefer to take out the old subs put in the new ones as is without adjusting anything else. I'd at least need a sub with a single RCA input and output but would prefer dual. If I'm getting new subs I do not want to downgrade any of my options. at 600$ per sub for my budget there should be some options out there. Sadly the new aperions do not have rca outputs on them.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
They aren't out yet, but hopefully before the end of the year, there will be an 8" from Rythmik

You could also check with Nathan at Funky Waves about building two custom 8"-ers.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Is there a reason you are stuck on getting an 8" "sub"? what's your actually size requirement for the box? With a budget of under $1200 for 2 subs you are severely limiting the performance/quality you will receive by trying to stick with 8" drivers for some reason?

I would at least be looking at something like this 10" Titanic sub , which is a 14" cube, and meets all your other requirements other then having a 10" woofer...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need an 8 inch sub because of the size, the listening room is fairly small and my setup is very condensed by space so the two new subs need to be the exact same size.

My two current subs are the Aperion SW-8 which list at 12 x 12 x 13.5 inches. I can vary on the size by about 2-3 inches in any direction and the budget can vary 100-200 dollars per sub

I'm picky but since my two old subs are working fine and still sound good if I can't just plug and play the new subs with no additional hassle and get better SQ I'll probably just stick with what I have

These were looking interesting but the size may be a little to big but it is close and I can go up a tad on the price range if they are really good subs

http://svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee /forum/post/20869379

These were looking interesting but the size may be a little to big but it is close and I can go up a tad on the price range if they are really good subs

They've been promising a SB10-NSD soon (since the beginning of the year).

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee /forum/post/20869379

I need an 8 inch sub because of the size, the listening room is fairly small and my setup is very condensed by space so the two new subs need to be the exact same size.

My two current subs are the Aperion SW-8 which list at 12 x 12 x 13.5 inches. I can vary on the size by about 2-3 inches in any direction and the budget can vary 100-200 dollars per sub

I'm picky but since my two old subs are working fine and still sound good if I can't just plug and play the new subs with no additional hassle and get better SQ I'll probably just stick with what I have

Since you can go a little bigger, I highly encourage you to do it. That SVS looks like a perfect fit for your requirements! You are spending a good chunk of change, you should purchase something that will be a hands-down improvement. That SVS will do the trick.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20870155

Since you can go a little bigger, I highly encourage you to do it. That SVS looks like a perfect fit for your requirements! You are spending a good chunk of change, you should purchase something that will be a hands-down improvement. That SVS will do the trick.

Yep after further research the SVS is the only one that really meets all my requirements down to replaceable power cord, dual input and outputs and not to big.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240
They aren't out yet, but hopefully before the end of the year, there will be an 8" from Rythmik
Where did you get this info from? I contacted them not 2 months ago asking if they were going to make something with a 10" driver, and the reply I got was they had no plans of making anything smaller then 12" (that sounds a bit obscene
).

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts
Quote:
They've been promising a SB10-NSD soon (since the beginning of the year).
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you - it's pretty much a dead product. When I asked them that question 2-3 weeks back their VP answered my email. This is a direct quote: The SB10-NSD is not under active development.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru
Never heard this sub before so can't say anything about the quality but it meets your specs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882269022
The Mirage MM8 is the exact same thing as that (Energy, Mirage, Klipsch, Jamo and Athena are all owned by Audiovox), so if you like that sub you can look for the Mirage version as well.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson
The Mirage MM8 is the exact same thing as that (Energy, Mirage, Klipsch, Jamo and Athena are all owned by Audiovox), so if you like that sub you can look for the Mirage version as well.
It doesn't look like it has the outputs I need to daisy chain two of them

·
Registered
637 Posts
Quote:
You could also check with Nathan at Funky Waves about building two custom 8"-ers.
We are currently working on a high output low distortion compact 8" subwoofer, we will be building the driver in house, it is underhung, high excursion, with aluminum sleeve on pole, in an enclosure with dual 10" passive radiators and a BASH 500 watt amplifier. It should have solid ground plane response to 25hz. In room we expect 20hz output. Not sure on price yet though.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves
We are currently working on a high output low distortion compact 8" subwoofer, we will be building the driver in house, it is underhung, high excursion, with aluminum sleeve on pole, in an enclosure with dual 10" passive radiators and a BASH 500 watt amplifier. It should have solid ground plane response to 25hz. In room we expect 20hz output. Not sure on price yet though.
This sounds rather intriguing. Any info on the size and potential launch date?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves /forum/post/20875550

Will it have RCA inputs and outputs to allow daisy chain of multiple subs? Any idea on release date?

·
Registered
637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee /forum/post/20876169

Will it have RCA inputs and outputs to allow daisy chain of multiple subs? Any idea on release date?

Yes it will.

It was ready a few months ago, but we then had issues with the cost of neodymium skyrocketing, it used a neodymium motor design. We are now working on a ceramic motor to keep costs more reasonable. It will likely be ready in a month or two, however if there was significant interest we may move it up in priority. The size goal is a 14" cube.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.