AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for 8 ohm speakers for my setup. I have a vintage Thorens TD 126 MKii turntable and vintage Marantz 2230 on the way and need a pair of bookshelf/compact speakers. Looking for bookshelf that are less than 13 inches, but can deal with 15 inch. 8 or 6 Ohm speakers with sensitivity ratings of 90 db or higher is preferred. Front ported is preferred, but could free up to 8 inches of space from the wall. Sealed is another option too.

Not completely sure about the budget, but lets say a $400 give or take. I am not looking for long-term speaker investment, just something that puts out good sound for the short-term. Vintage or modern is fine. Prefer to buy used, but will buy new as well. So if you want to recommend something is often found on the used market, definitely do it!

I enjoy large soundstage, sparkly but smooth treble and lively mids with great vocals. Bass impact just needs to be natural and present. Mostly listen to classic rock, grunge, and classical

I do have a Definitive Technology ProSub 800 that I may use.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
I'm looking for 8 ohm speakers for my setup. I have a vintage Thorens TD 126 MKii turntable and vintage Marantz 2230 on the way and need a pair of bookshelf/compact speakers. Looking for bookshelf that are less than 13 inches, but can deal with 15 inch. Must be front ported. 8 or 6 Ohm speakers with sensitivity ratings of 90 db or higher is preferred.

Not completely sure about the budget, but lets say a couple hundred give or take. I am not looking for long-term speaker investment, just something that puts out good sound for the short-term. Vintage or modern is fine. Prefer to buy used, but will buy new as well. So if you want to recommend something is often found on the used market, definitely do it!

I enjoy large soundstage, sparkly but smooth treble and lively mids with great vocals. Bass impact just needs to be natural and present. Mostly listen to classic rock, grunge, and classical

I'd just get a pair of NHT SuperOnes for around $300. They are sealed and are rated at about 86db but otherwise and most importantly I think they would meet your sound quality preferences.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd just get a pair of NHT SuperOnes for around $300. They are sealed and are rated at about 86db but otherwise and most importantly I think they would meet your sound quality preferences.
I worry that 86gb might not be optimal for the 2230 but I could be wrong..

·
Registered
19,558 Posts
I worry that 86gb might not be optimal for the 2230 but I could be wrong..
Most speakers in your budget will be around 86-88 db average.

A lot of marketing that claims higher sensitivity - tends to be
off the mark - do not get caught up in speaker specs.

That receiver is stated to be able to handle 4 to 16 ohms

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm looking for 8 ohm speakers for my setup. I have a vintage Thorens TD 126 MKii turntable and vintage Marantz 2230 on the way and need a pair of bookshelf/compact speakers. Looking for bookshelf that are less than 13 inches, but can deal with 15 inch. Must be front ported. 8 or 6 Ohm speakers with sensitivity ratings of 90 db or higher is preferred.

Not completely sure about the budget, but lets say a couple hundred give or take. I am not looking for long-term speaker investment, just something that puts out good sound for the short-term. Vintage or modern is fine. Prefer to buy used, but will buy new as well. So if you want to recommend something is often found on the used market, definitely do it!

Check out the Wavecrest HVL-1. If you are willing to go a bit higher then by all means you have to consider the Chane A1rx-c.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets say my budget is $400-$500. Where does that take me?

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
monitor audio BX2s are on sale now because of new line coming out. They have good reviews.
I picked up a set for $344 in Canada. Very surprising sound for the size and price.
http://www.monitoraudio.ca/products/bronze-bx/bx2/#/overview

I will check all of those out! Thanks for the focal recommendation as well. I totally forgot about those!

I really like the Wharfedale design but I am not sure 6 ohms and 86db is going to fit the bill. It will probably be fine..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any vintage recommendations? I believe most of those will be too tall but would love took into some Acoustic Research or JBL options

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I'm looking for 8 ohm speakers for my setup. I have a vintage Thorens TD 126 MKii turntable and vintage Marantz 2230 on the way and need a pair of bookshelf/compact speakers. Looking for bookshelf that are less than 13 inches, but can deal with 15 inch. 8 or 6 Ohm speakers with sensitivity ratings of 90 db or higher is preferred. Front ported is preferred, but could free up to 8 inches of space from the wall. Sealed is another option too.

Not completely sure about the budget, but lets say a $400 give or take. I am not looking for long-term speaker investment, just something that puts out good sound for the short-term. Vintage or modern is fine. Prefer to buy used, but will buy new as well. So if you want to recommend something is often found on the used market, definitely do it!

Since you have changed your requirements, I'll add the following speaker for you to consider. This speaker fits the size requirement, has a surprisingly large soundstage with a pristine midrange and would be considered a neutral, uncolored speaker:

$225 / pair (includes shipping -- return shipping around $25) EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php (I own these)
Andrew Robinson review: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek-e5bi-bookshelf-speaker-reviewed/
My review: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/dbtreview.php?do=view_review&id=4850&ri=review

Reactions: Transmaniacon

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Nice turntable with a golden age receiver. I still have the same table packed away; it was state of the art for it's time and very respectable even today.

If you're interested in buying used and looking at bookshelf size, I would suggest looking at Epos, Linn, Wharfedale, and Snell as a nice complement to your equipment.

I think a great match would be a pair of Linn Kan's or Linn Tukan's. They're not too hard to find and would be in your price range. Buying good used will really stretch your dollar and give you better sound vs. buying new with your budget.

Having said that, Music Direct has a clearance on Wharfedale Denton's at half price from the $1000.00 MSRP:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-107091...n-80th-anniversary-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/documents/pdf/AWFDENTON_HFW.pdf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts