AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am connecting 8 PC's to 4 LCD displays (52" Sharp Aquos). Each of the 4 LCD's will display the output from any of the 8 PC's.

1. The LCD's will receive input from a Gefen VGA to HDMI converter EXT-COMPAUD-2-HDMI.

2. The Gefen converters will receive input from an Iogear GS881 video switch.

3. The switch's will receive input from eight different Linxcel VM118A video multipliers.

4. The multipliers will each be connected to a different PC.

So each PC will output to it's own monitor and each of the four LCD displays via the multiplier, switch, and converter (the LCD's don't have vga inputs).

Will it work?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee /forum/post/0

I am connecting 8 PC's to 4 LCD displays (52" Sharp Aquos). Each of the 4 LCD's will display the output from any of the 8 PC's.

1. The LCD's will receive input from a Gefen VGA to HDMI converter EXT-COMPAUD-2-HDMI.

2. The Gefen converters will receive input from an Iogear GS881 video switch.

3. The switch's will receive input from eight different Linxcel VM118A video multipliers.

4. The multipliers will each be connected to a different PC.

So each PC will output to it's own monitor and each of the four LCD displays via the multiplier, switch, and converter (the LCD's don't have vga inputs).

Will it work?

Gefen suggested their EXT-VGA-2-DVIS scaler. However, The scaler requires user intervention... "the output resolution and refresh rate can be selected through OSD menu and front panel push buttons." That is a problem with 8 different sources connected to the scaler and many different people using the equipment.

The TV has a table of acceptable PC resolutions so I am guessing that if each of the PC's are outputing at one of these resolutions it will work.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
You can often find extron matrix switchers used on ebay cheap enough that have 8 in and 4 out (or more) that work any which direction and combination for vga (RGBHV, same thing) then use the vga to hdmi's after the matrix switcher. Way fewer parts and the extron's have remote and rs232 control and incredibly high bandwidth. I was watching one that went for around $100 last week. I guess it's a matter of luck and timing getting a crazy deal like that though. They also switch audio if you want.

Your plan sounds ugly. Way too much crap in the signal path.

Troy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema /forum/post/0

You can often find extron matrix switchers used on ebay cheap enough that have 8 in and 4 out (or more) that work any which direction and combination for vga (RGBHV, same thing) then use the vga to hdmi's after the matrix switcher. Way fewer parts and the extron's have remote and rs232 control and incredibly high bandwidth. I was watching one that went for around $100 last week. I guess it's a matter of luck and timing getting a crazy deal like that though. They also switch audio if you want.

Your plan sounds ugly. Way too much crap in the signal path.

Troy

Very good idea. They also make models with integrated scaling and DVI output. Not right for this application however. Economical redundancy is required. That rules out the matrix switcher since if it failed, the entire system would be out of service. We can't purchase used equipment either. Thanks for the idea though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.