Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Zuma Hans:

I was in Malibu in late March to try some DTV reception tests. I think we were at a new house in Malibu Shores(??), a gated community. There's a private 9-hole golf course next to the entrance.

With a Channel Master 4-bay UHF screen antenna and model 7775 preamp - and the whole setup on 10' of mast, on a tripod, in the street - I was able to receive all eight L.A. DTV channels. (31, 36, 42, 53, 59, 60, 65, 66)

The antenna had to be turned slightly to get better reception on 53 and 66. But the direction was mostly east, or ESE. The receiver was a Samsung SIR-T150. The waveforms (as seen on a specturm analyzer) weren't all that clean - a fair amount of multipath. But steady reception was had.

If you can get all of these, I wouldn't bother with San Diego - that's a bit of a haul for DTV signals, which tend to have lower power levels than analog - DTV only requires about 18 - 20 dB carrier-to-noise to lock up, so the transitters can run reduced output.

KC

·
Registered
104 Posts
Who is getting reliable HDTVservice over great distances?

Is it worth trying for HDTV over 120 miles, when NTSC works fairly well most of time? I'm talking about receiving San Diego stations in Malibu, where the NTSC comes in with static most of the time....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.