AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128VP Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card. If I run the computer for 30 mins or so since bootup, the temperatures on the card (via nVidia Monitor info app) shows around 80 C. Wondering if that is normal temperature for a passive cooling device or should I return it and get a fan cooling card?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
My 6800GT's fan was blocked by cables one time - the temperature hit 99C for several minutes! It really scared the crap out of me - I think it is okay now, but I need to do more testing. Personally I think it is a little hot - I'd be more comfortable with 65C or maybe 70C. Does your case have good ventilation? Usually you need to add an additional exhaust fan besides the one in your powersupply. Running at low RPM (1500 for an 80 mm) should be enough.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, the temp recorded was while at non-peak time (i.e., no movie running, just couple of Win Explorer windows running).

The case's fans are set to run after the case temp reaches a certain level (100+F) however, the case temp is always cooler around 30 C. Processor is running at around 45 C

I still have an option to return the card and get a fan-based video card. Do you guys recommend that over the passive cooling one? What are the average heat levels on a fan cooled card?

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I'd look into getting some airflow over it. Either turn on the case fan next to it, or build some ducting. Either will almost certainly be quieter than getting a fan'd video card.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is there a general consensus that 80+ C at idle time is "pretty hot"?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the same Gigabyte 6600GT card (passive cooling) and it normally runs around 60-65C with a 40% load on the system. I have an 80mm Zalman blowing on it at ~1300rpm and you can't hear it at all. Prior to the 80mm fan it got pretty hot.... ~80 to 90C. They are however designed to handle in excess of 120C for short periods.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbighoss
I have the same Gigabyte 6600GT card (passive cooling) and it normally runs around 60-65C with a 40% load on the system. I have an 80mm Zalman blowing on it at ~1300rpm and you can't hear it at all. Prior to the 80mm fan it got pretty hot.... ~80 to 90C. They are however designed to handle in excess of 120C for short periods.

Regards, Jim
You think it will make a difference if I turn on my case fans and see if that makes any difference.. These fans are located on the back side of the video card... and so my fans wont be blowing at it but sucking heat from the back side.....

·
Registered
670 Posts
the only way to find out is to give it a try...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5a5l3m
So is there a general consensus that 80+ C at idle time is "pretty hot"?

Uhmmmm ya.... that is hot.... temperature at which the pn junction in the die goes poof is around 110-120C depending on die process. The diode used to measure the die temp may not be representive of the entire die and the IC packaging/pcb board design also come into play. You probably have not done any damage but stressing the components can shorten the lifespan of the device.

T

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I recently lost a passively cooled Radeon 9800AIW Pro. The card was cooled via heat pipe but the heat exchanger still got pretty hot to about 70C.

The analog quality was never really good at these temperatures so I used the digital output. This all worked okay for a bit over a year but then the card gave up.

80C probably means a rather shortened life time.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Don't they make those VGA Silencers for the 6600? I've seen Arctic coolers for the 6800. I have one w/ my 9800pro for my desktop PC and it runs 10F cooler than the noisey stock fan.....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I use Thermaltake's passive cooler around a 6600GT (that originally had a fan.) Mine runs at 57C under an extremely heavy load (Prime95 plus video.) However, I wouldn't be too concerned about 80C. The core slowdown threshold is set to 145C for my card, and 127C for some other versions of the 6600/6600GT (the fanless ones, primarily.) So you have at least 47 more degrees until the manufacturers would seem to be concerned.

BTW, I don't recommend Thermaltake's passive cooler. It was difficult to put together, and now this card+heatsink is so heavy and delicate that I would not dare to move the system without taking this card out first. It's better to buy a fanless card to start with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul Jalib
I use Thermaltake's passive cooler around a 6600GT (that originally had a fan.) Mine runs at 57C under an extremely heavy load (Prime95 plus video.) However, I wouldn't be too concerned about 80C. The core slowdown threshold is set to 145C for my card, and 127C for some other versions of the 6600/6600GT (the fanless ones, primarily.) So you have at least 47 more degrees until the manufacturers would seem to be concerned.

BTW, I don't recommend Thermaltake's passive cooler. It was difficult to put together, and now this card+heatsink is so heavy and delicate that I would not dare to move the system without taking this card out first. It's better to buy a fanless card to start with.
Thanks Abdul. However, my card seems to be easily touching 100 C just after playing video for 15 minutes... Is that good?

The other day the video got choppy...And I'm not sure if it was heat related...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You might to see artifacts when the temperature gets too hot. The GPU is rated for a pretty high temp, but you are pushing the limits.

In fact, there was a thread over at silentpcreview on just this topic, with others reporting very high temperatures for this card (and some with lower ~60C). It was sometimes found that the thermal compound was not applied properly in some of these cases (bad QC I guess). Reapplying thermal compound between the heatpipes and heatsinks fixed the problem.

If you are comfortable with this process and have some Artic Silver around, I woudl give this a try.

Ozy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.