AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to thank all on this forum for helping me get this far. Here is the front of my HT, its 80% done, it would have been 100% done if I didn't hook up all my equipment to "test" the room 2 months ago! I am back on track now, carpet will be installed next week and the doors after.

The screen is 4:3 @ 100" from Sharp 10 years ago (glass coated to make the image sharper and brighter) along with my 10 year old Sharp FP. The room is 20' x 12' x 7.5", I put acoustical foam panels on the sides and rear wall to reduce echoes and put curtain and valances around the screen, as well as rope lights to give it more of an effect.

Once again thanks to all the people here. More pics to come once its all finished.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments guys...word to the wise, never hook up all your equipment until the whole project is done! Especially the sofa!:D

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by beatles1
Here is the front of my HT, its 80% done, it would have been 100% done if I didn't hook up all my equipment to "test" the room 2 months ago!
Tee Hee!!!:D

I still have the wallpaper for my concession stand just waiting to be applied - and as for the stairs leading up to the theater..... well, we're still fixing all the nail pops etc.

WARNING - If you want your theater completed, DON'T watch anything until it's ALL finished!!!;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your wall scounces look very nice from the angel in the second picture, could you tell me where you purchased them, I have been looking at lighting for a while, the ones I do like cost a small fortune. I have'nt seen any like yours before,

Thanks, ED:D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
beatle,

Looks great! I really like those sconces,too!

My "Completion Meter" has been stuck below 100% for quite sometime! I didn't go as far as Pam suggested with not watching any movies til completed...but I have been driving my wife and friends nutz by not allowing guests into the HT until that meter says "100% DONE. FOR NOW!" And let me tell you that has NOT been a easy task! I have neighbors always trying to peek into the windows..HAH! We have 100% light blocking shades! I have even had some try to distract me by asking for a drink so they can slip down for a sneek-peek. HAH! Catch Ya!

The worst one was neighbor to my left! I had a preliminary viewing for my Brother in law, his wife and their four year old to watch Stewart Little. Well, my neighbor Stan comes over and says...

"Hey, Darren! Preston wants to watch Stewart Little,too!"..you see Preston is four also and loves to play with my nephew.

Well, I comply with.."Sure!"

Stan, the neighbor, who has been like a nosy reporter trying to get the scoop on my HT for months says..."Well, Preston will only watch it if I can sit with him."

Now how could I turn down that little kid, even if his Dad was trying his hardest to infiltrate my HT...that's just plain 'ol dirty pool. well, I conceded and let Stan, his wife, mother-in-law....and little Preston into the Cyberdyne that night.

Guess what? Preston only lasted about 20 minutes before he wanted to go home! I think his Daddy was a little P.O. 'd :)

Great going, buddy.....now that last 20 percent should only take you...ummmm...I would guess..about forever! ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ebr
Oh yeah, you've committed the ultimate mistake that we all do -- your room is now functional but only 80% complete.

Good luck with the other 20% ;).

I only have my room about 60% done and I already commited the ultimate mistake. I have some of my patio furniture and a cooler in there.

It's like the trailer park theater room.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your comments...

The wall sconses are from the Building Box (here at the Great White North - Canada), they cost only $19.99 Cdn. each. The only thing to note about them is the glass part (which is actually plastic) I had to tighten them down or else they would rattle when the kaboom starts, and they only take a 65 Watt bulb which with the grey walls doesn't make the room super bright but I didn't want it that way anyhow. I have 3 of the sconses in my HT, and for the price it was good enough for my budget.

The drop ceiling tiles are white and since the walls are grey the ceiling doesn't look bright white because the grey reflects on the tiles. And when the lights are dimmed or off the room is basically dark, the ceiling tiles do not divert the audience's attention.

I'mListening, your HT and other HT "maniacs" are to blame for me starting this adventure with all your pics. As much as I would like to even come close to the detail and effort you put, I always look at my pockets and wonder why its empty - oh yeah, the HT in my basement!

Well we all know that there will never be 100% complete its just temporary, but I gotta keep on track - aim for 99% for now. The main goal is to have all the carpet installed, the doors, the trim work, the riser, extra seating.....am I missing something?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Beatles

Love your theater.I have a similar set up . A 10 year old Sharp projector (xv-h35ua)and same screen. I'm starting to look hard at upgrading Have you given any thought to what you might get . I would be interested in your thoughts. By the way am still happy with my setup.

Rafael

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rafael, how "hard" of an upgrade are you considering? There were 2 reasons why I made the choice to build my HT. One was I saw those nice pictures in the gallery of other people's HTs and thought - gosh, it would be nice to have a room that "looks" just like those. Second was the original "theater" room I built was not acoustically pleasing - had wood tongue and grove panels all around - had to crank my Denon to hear where the sound was coming from.

If you are talking hardware...my equipment is satisfactory for now, if the upgrade bug was to come me, the first thing I would replace is the Sharp projector. Now adays the projectors have really come down in price and the resolution and lumens have increased since the days of my poor old Sharp. I would serioursly contemplate getting a viewsonic PJ500 which is in my budget. Next would be changing my rear speakers.

Reading all the threads in this forum, what I have learned (at least) is the room itself is just as important as the hardware you buy. So I made sure (as much as my budget allows) to put acoustics first.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Beatles

Thank you for your answer ,I should have been more specific . It was the projector I was asking about .I was just wondering what you might upgrade to. Is the viewsonic a 4.3 projector or 16.9. LCD or DLP . I have squeezed every bit of performance from my projector (Cygnus lens and Panmorph)but I would like to take advantage of component inputs of my DVD and xbox. I'm still very happy with the picture I get from DVD and regular cable. The picture is still bright and the colors are great I'm just looking for a bit more resolution. By the way living in NYC Ive been able to see most of the projectors out there. I was just wondering since we have similar setups what you were looking at. Thanks

Rafael

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rafael,

The viewsonic does both 4:3 and 16x9, it has 1200 lumens so its bright, the resolution is 800x600, and its an LCD projector. Now as far as DLP, I never saw how the picture looks (I have even read some threads here that some people get headaches from looking at it). But what I like about this projector is for the price of $1400.00 Cdn. it looks appealling and Viewsonic has a good name (and the bulb is easy to replace, not like the Sharp). You can get projectors with more resolution but it starts adding up and 800x600 is more than what my Sharp probably has.

As far as your XBox I don't know what it needs as far as viewing, I know that my LD, and DVD are hooked up to my Denon and I only have one SVideo connector that goes into my Sharp.

Check out Viewsonic's website www.viewsonic.com they have all the specs there.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I feel your pain with the "not quite done" aspect of it all...my HT is 99.9% done...all I have left is to make a frame/cover for my center channel speaker (mounted in my front soffit)....it looks ok, but the speaker peeks down at you from it's home.

My wife loves to tell people that the theater "isn't done yet", even though it's a small job to fix it...damn her, trying to manipulate me into making the frame and covering it, rather than watching the sopranos in HD again (rerun).

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only .1% left, your lucky. I would imagine that even if I did finish I would find something else to install, or build.

I am one step closer...just got the carpet in today and will be putting the baseboards in tonight!

Yesterday I had to remove all the equipment out, boy was that a chore. It pains me to know I have to start plugging in all the cables back. Phew!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.