AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has to send vidoeo from a DVD player to a projector about 80 feet away. The projector is primarily used for projecting a computer monitor in a classroom setting but recently they decided they wanted to use a DVD player as well. The projector has two VGA connector inputs, an S-video input, and a composite video RCA connector. I've heard that S-video cables are good to about 20 ft. How far is composite good for using RG6 especially when terminated with RCAs at both ends. Are there RCAs you can get rated at 75 0hms impedance?

Thanks.

Steve

· Registered
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bichmgnt
I've heard that S-video cables are good to about 20 ft. How far is composite good for using RG6 especially when terminated with RCAs at both ends. Are there RCAs you can get rated at 75 0hms impedance?
Partsexpress sells 100' S-video cables, but beyond about 50' you're probably better off with composite over RG-6. I made a 30 footer that worked okay. Another way to go is a break-out cable for the S-video, which is what I use now. There is a short S-video to dual-BNC at either end with 2 long BNC cables in between. The long cables are RG-6.

· Registered
475 Posts
Best solution may be to make a break-out box or cable to split the s-video into two 75-ohm cables (like Beldin 1694 or 1505) and bring them back together into an s-video at the projector. I did a break-out cable for my 50' run and can see no degradation using 1505A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.