AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my 80 hour upgrade for a few weeks now. Still blown away by the notice that I have 50hrs extended replay left.

I was able to pick up a cheap 1000s and replaced the HD with an 80 GB maxtor.

I am very tempted to void the useless Worst Buy warrenty on my 20 hr unit and do the same for that one.

I am just waiting for the 80 or 100 GB drives to drop in price. Perhaps after the holidays.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How hard is it to upgrade the replay. I also have a cheap 1000 model, and would like to upgrade it to a 80 Gig hard drive. Is it like dishnetwork dishplayer? Do you just pop in a new unformated drive, and let it update itself? I am pretty new to this unit.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by musicman125
How hard is it to upgrade the replay. I also have a cheap 1000 model, and would like to upgrade it to a 80 Gig hard drive. Is it like dishnetwork dishplayer? Do you just pop in a new unformated drive, and let it update itself? I am pretty new to this unit.
no, not that easy unfortunately

basically you hook up your old replay drive & your new larger drive to your PC, run the RTV Patch, it copies the OS from your old drive to the new drive then patches it so it understands that is now has 80GB instead of 20GB

for much more info, go here

·
Registered
133 Posts
The way I did it was on my Windows 2000 system I added the old Showstopper hard drive as well as the 100Gb drive I was upgrading to. To add these drives I had to disconnect my zip-drive temporarily (since you can only have 4 IDE devices connected at once).

Then I just ran RTVPatch. It recognized the Replay Drive and my PC drive. The destination upgrade drive I believe shows up as unknown (or something to that effect).

Make sure you make a backup image of your Replay drive on your PC. It takes about 300Mb (I later wrote this to a CD for safe keeping). I also saved my old 30Gb Replay drive but may end up using this to do a dual upgrade of another Showstopper that I own.

Anyway, it works great!! I have 100 hours of extended play time and also a faster (7200rpm) drive. You may want to add a fan. See elsewhere on this forum for that info.

Good luck

Greg

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Using 3 replays, I knew that I would be doing a lot of PC work on the drives. So I took advantage of a Maxtor drive offer for a free IDE ATA100 controller card and now have the following setup on my pc:

On the motherboard IDE channels I have 2 hds, a DVD and a CD-r/RW. The additional IDE controller supports 2 removable hd bays which I use for the replay drives and for removable storage for my video editing needs. No longer do I have to open up the pc to do anything for the replays. Just pop them in (rebooting of course, there's no hot swapping yet) and Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love this replaytv. I had a dishplayer only 4 hours of record play, and I was going to upgrade it, but it broke. I never would go back to the dishplayer now. The only - is no Pay Per View information. All the info you guys are showing me is great keep it coming. :D :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.