AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a pair of Infinity P363's. After 2 weeks, one of the tower's 2 woofers stopped working. For the past 2.5 weeks, I have only one speaker as it's in repair shop and don't know when parts are available. Now, I'm looking to buying some new speakers and use the P363 as surrounds. If I had $800 to spend on L/R, would I be better off with bookshelf or towers? Basement is 50x26x9. Yes, I understand this is a VERY large area to fill and will accept the negatives of the room. I already have a sub, PB12NSD. Any recommendations for speakers would be appreciated

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee82  /t/1524460/800-bookshelf-or-tower#post_24534557

HK 1710

I read one of your old threads

Are you trying to fill the room - or, are you sitting with-in respectful distance.

How loud did you turn the volume up, before the HK and Sony receivers shut-down.

It is possible, you may have a short in the speakers

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1524460/800-bookshelf-or-tower#post_24534639

I read one of your old threads

Are you trying to fill the room - or, are you sitting with-in respectful distance.

How loud did you turn the volume up, before the HK and Sony receivers shut-down.

It is possible, you may have a short in the speakers

Wont be trying to fill the room. Seating will be about 10 feet away from the tv.

When I first connected the speakers for the first time, probably -18 at the loudest. I haven't had any problems since my avr was replaced under warranty. Also, if there was a short in the speakers, shouldn't both towers be affected? Sorry, i'm very new to this, just trying to get a better understanding. As of now, i'm using only one p363 and works fine at loud volumes

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would guess if you have gone through a speaker and a receiver that you may be pushing them too hard. Thats a guess. If there was a short I don't think you can say it would effect both speakers. It could have been on just one channel.

Back to your question. If you are going to have a good sub then my guess is bookshelves could be enough. If no sub then you probably want something with kick to it. But definitely make sure your receiver can handle the load.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1524460/800-bookshelf-or-tower#post_24534881

While I tend to go with bookshelf speakers and a sub - the price on these towers

is really good > on close-out pricing

MB Quart Alexxa S1 > with shipping they will be $740 for the pair
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-s1cpb-single/home-audio_alexxa?pp=25

Black is $780 for the pair with shipping
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-s1pb-single/home-audio_alexxa?pp=25

Hello zieglj01!!

How good are these MB Quart Alexxa S-One? I've always heard good things about MB Quart car audio sound but I don't know nothing about them in home audio setups.

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts

Hello zieglj01!!

How good are these MB Quart Alexxa S-One? I've always heard good things about MB Quart car audio sound but I don't know nothing about them in home audio setups.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDST  /t/1524460/800-bookshelf-or-tower#post_24534941

Hello zieglj01!!

I own the higher-end MB Quart Vera bookshelf speakers - if the Alexxa is 66% as good

as the Vera speakers - then you will have some serious good sounding speakers, that

will hold up with and even above, some more expensive well known (popular) speakers.

These will not be your Best Buy, or Frys type of speakers

At the current price, it is almost a no-brainer.

They are more well known outside the USA - I have found no real complaints - the word

seems to be open, lively/dynamic, revealing and clean, with some good bass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts