AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Budget is $800(no tax) for 5.1 speakers and sub.

Medium size room.

Receiver Onkyo 606

Requirements: LCR have to be wall mountable and built for Flat Panel display.

I have it down to 3:

Energy FPS for LCR and 2 satellites and sub yet to be determined.

3 Athena WS-60s for LCR and 2 satellites and sub yet to be determined.

Klipsch SL set with Klipsch Sub-10 or VX-10.

I would think the Energy FPS would have the best sound. Was these Energy before Klipsch bought them? My history with Klipsch product are they are too bright and lack mids and lower.

For surrounds, what to pair LCR with? 2 Orbs? 2 Nanostats?

For Sub, I was thinking Velodyne VX-10. Bic-h100? Something else?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
$800 is pretty hard to allot given your "flat panel matching" requirement.

Pretty looking thin speakers usually cost more than some bookshelves.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15561450

$800 is pretty hard to allot given your "flat panel matching" requirement.

Pretty looking thin speakers usually cost more than some bookshelves.

I know. I didn't say it would be easy. Form over function for this price is the requirement. I am helping out as already have my systems. Anyone know how much and where the Cinema 330s are?

·
Registered
30,169 Posts
If you can do silver the Energy FPS are available for dirt cheap on ebay. You can get three FPS for the front and then LCR's for the surrounds.

The Take FPS/LCR/SAT lineup is all Energy, it was produced before Klipsch took over API (the company that makes mirage, energy, athena). They are not bright at all, actually very smooth and neutral. I got a Take FPS for a friend who needed a center channel with a slim profile, and it sounds great with surprising bass for the size (it is actually quite heavy, more than you would expect by looking at it). Dialogue is very smooth and natural.

The Energy are higher-end than the Athena products (Athena is sort of the "budget" sibling of Energy) and for the prices you see on ebay they are a great value if you require wall-mountable "flat panel" speakers.

Here is a review of the Energy TAKE setup (although they use TWR's for the fronts):
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...er-system.html

Definitely get a good sub to mate with them, the BIC products (PA-120 is a great value at $230 shipped from ebay, or spend a little more for the H-100 or VK-12) and the eD subs are great values.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15563362

Definitely get a good sub to mate with them, the BIC products (PA-120 is a great value at $230 shipped from ebay, or spend a little more for the H-100 or VK-12) and the eD subs are great values.

Thanks!!! I was leaning toward the Energy.

I was thinking 3 FPS (Left,Center, Right) and 2 LCR for the surrounds with the Bic H-100.

Should be able to make under budget.

I will pass on the info. Thanks again!

·
Registered
29,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhorwitz /forum/post/15564072

What if you need black? Thanks.

Then you have to pay more! Up to $375 each

You could try wwstereo.com. They had the FPS in black for $120 each but its no longer on their website. Give them a call, maybe they'll have some in the warehouse. It doesn't hurt to ask.

World Wide Stereo 866.961.7781

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15564470

Then you have to pay more! Up to $375 each

You could try wwstereo.com. They had the FPS in black for $120 each but its no longer on their website. Give them a call, maybe they'll have some in the warehouse. It doesn't hurt to ask.

World Wide Stereo 866.961.7781

All out. They can order them for regular price, which is a bit under that price above. How do these compare with Monitor Audio Radius speakers that you can get on eBay? Pricing looks pretty comparable.

·
Registered
29,197 Posts
I dunno, never really been interested in flat panel speakers. My HDTV is on a stand. I just remember the FPS being on sale at wwstereo.com when I was looking at other Energy speakers.

Maybe somebody else will have heard them and can help.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhorwitz /forum/post/15564072

What if you need black? Thanks.

I bought 2 of the silver Take FPS for $115 each with shipping and for $72 more painted them black and bought new black grills from energy. Saved about $200 on each speaker and they look great.

See posts 97, 98 and 99 from the link below.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=765269&page=4

·
Registered
472 Posts
Eddie did a phenominal job turning silver to black...worth checking out.

I have all of the Energy Take flat panel speakers: TWR, FPS, LCR and (but not using) SATs. They are indeed heavier than you'd expect and put out a surprising amount of bass. Doesn't mean you don't need a sub, though. FPS is a wonderful speaker as I moved from the Athena WS60 to the Take series and it is quite a difference, though now using TWRs for the front. I felt the Athena was a bit more 'tinny' (certainly lighter than the Energys) and not nearly the low end that Energy has. Used a Velodyne sub with both set-ups. Energy build and fit/finish is much better than Athena, confirming that while Athena is a very nice speaker (I had the Micras as well) it is more of a budget model to the Energy offering. Although they are owned by Klipsch, both use their respective previous technology and are not related at all to the Klipsch sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublefan /forum/post/15836240

Eddie did a phenominal job turning silver to black...worth checking out.

I have all of the Energy Take flat panel speakers: TWR, FPS, LCR and (but not using) SATs. They are indeed heavier than you'd expect and put out a surprising amount of bass. Doesn't mean you don't need a sub, though. FPS is a wonderful speaker as I moved from the Athena WS60 to the Take series and it is quite a difference, though now using TWRs for the front. I felt the Athena was a bit more 'tinny' (certainly lighter than the Energys) and not nearly the low end that Energy has. Used a Velodyne sub with both set-ups. Energy build and fit/finish is much better than Athena, confirming that while Athena is a very nice speaker (I had the Micras as well) it is more of a budget model to the Energy offering. Although they are owned by Klipsch, both use their respective previous technology and are not related at all to the Klipsch sound.

troublefan - I was contemplating using another FPS as my center, but don't have the width I need in my TV stand cabinet for the 24" wide (long) speaker. Now I am thinking of using one of the LCR's instead. Do you think the LCR center channel will be overwhelmed by the FPS or will it work well? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie501 /forum/post/15836552

troublefan - I was contemplating using another FPS as my center, but don't have the width I need in my TV stand cabinet for the 24" wide (long) speaker. Now I am thinking of using one of the LCR's instead. Do you think the LCR center channel will be overwhelmed by the FPS or will it work well? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

An LCR should work fine if you don't have the space for the FPS and the room isn't terribly big. It's a pretty decent speaker for the size but the bigger FPS would be the way to go if you could. For awhile I actually had it the other way around with the LCR as fronts and the FPS as a center. LCRs did well as fronts, then I got clearance from the wife for the TWRs and kept the FPS for the center and moved the LCRs to surround duty. Soooo happy!

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublefan /forum/post/15837383

An LCR should work fine if you don't have the space for the FPS and the room isn't terribly big. It's a pretty decent speaker for the size but the bigger FPS would be the way to go if you could. For awhile I actually had it the other way around with the LCR as fronts and the FPS as a center. LCRs did well as fronts, then I got clearance from the wife for the TWRs and kept the FPS for the center and moved the LCRs to surround duty. Soooo happy!

Thanks for the input. I may buy a 3rd FPS and mount it on the wall below the TV since I do not have room in my stand. Gotta get clearance from the wife first as she is very particular about the set-up in the room. Judging from your comment above you probably know what I mean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts