AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the replay TV setup 800 number cannot be dialed directly from Canada. Does anybody know what the actual long distance number corresponding to this number is, so that I can dial it manually and persuade my replay TV to set up? Once I can do that, I think I can get the rest of the setup sequence to go OK, although it would involve long-distance calls.

A bit less useful, does anybody know what the 800 number is that the replay dials?

Finally, and most unlikely, any ideas how to get a 300-series replay TV to act like a 4000 series by having it "dial" my local computer, and then have the computer take care of the protocol exchange? This last idea might be useful for lots of folks, although it technically the most complicated possibility.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The US 800 number is 800 590 4857

You might try using 877 864 8545 -- it's listed as the "CA" entry, in the same file the US number is listed.

Search for posts from 'ijprest', or see http://rns.prest.ca/, for lots of information on getting Canadian listings into a 3000.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those references were great. Thanks.

It baffles me why replayTV doesn't serve Canada. While the market is comparatively small relative to the US, the support would be a no-brainer. Maybe this has been beaten to death elsewhere too... my apologies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, now I'd like to "talk" to the replayTV as a precursor to setting up my own local server. As a first step, I've connected the replay modem to a modem on a linux box.

My question is, what does the replay expect from the box to initiate the login process?

I had expected it to try and do a normal ASCII login protocol.

I am seeing a string of dots (periods) on the serial line, and if I hit return a few times on the linux side the replay hangs up in disgust. It feels like a baud problem, but I have tried lots of combinations. I also tried calling the referenced access number directly and got a similarly cryptic response. Do I need to hit some particular key combination to get the replay synchronized or am I wrong in expecting an ASCII (readable) protocol?

I know my modem lines are OK as I can dial into earthlink and see the normal login prompts.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There's a rather long thread discussing this issue that might save you a good bit of effort. Do a search for "long distance fix" and search the title only.

Good Luck

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other formus didn't have quite what I wanted, although they were very interesting.

I wanted to connect the replay modem to a modem, then to a serial port and see the transactions. What I didn't realize was that the protocol used to talk to pppd is, as far as I know, not intelligible as straight ASCII. Maybe it depends on what the destination telephone number is...

Anyhow, on my replayTV it can talk to a pppd process on UNIX but you don't see anything when you connect to a plain vanilla terminal program.

What I did not appreciate from various web surfing is how you can setup the replay to connect to a modem (via a phone wire but not using a real phone line), then to a linux box running pppd and thus get data via the internet. There is a lot of talk about fancy ring-detect boxes in other threads but I have not found one necessary. Instead, I use the rather ugly but workable solution of having pppd answer the modem every 30 seconds no matter what. If this happens to be when replay is calling, bingo, if not then it doesn't place much burden on the CPU to keep at it since the modem is the thing doing all the work.

Thanks for all the help folks.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
PPP certainly isn't an ASCII protocol, no.

I think it's using PAP to log in to the PPP server.

Once it's logged in, it uses DNS, NTP and HTTP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.