AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have about $2.5k to put towards a speaker system for a 800 sqrt ft mini club room (gets very crowded). The system needs to be loud but accurate. I thought about getting a giant 18 inch woofer and two PA speakers...but I don't think that's very professional...perhaps the distribution in a packed room won't work so well.

I was thinking that instead of this, maybe getting 3 12 inch subwoofers in opposite corners of the room, and 7 smaller speakers w/ tweeters mounted to the walls.

Does this sound like a good plan? I don't even know where to start looking.

\\edit: No support for live performances required. Only playing music from a source like a computer -> DAC -> system

Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i'd make it into mono for sure. having a stereo setup for that type of space is a terrible idea IMO.

For large spaces to avoid hot spotting, a rough rule of thumb is to never have a speaker farther apart then the floor to ceiling distance. I have used this rough rule many times for restaurants etc and it always works out very nice.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
That space isn't that large....my theater and gameroom is 1,000sf, so I have a good point of reference.

I agree with ifor, but I'll throw an opinion in anyway.

I'm using three Klipsch LaScala (very popular for decades as a bar speaker). I'd pick up four old LaScala for roughly $800 and paint them black. Don't know what the decor is, but if it's open rafter black ceiling, they would disappear. That leaves $1700 for subs. Again, I'd look used. I'm using a pair of Danley DTS-10 subs. They will absolutely light up 1,000sf to club levels with headroom to spare. Of course, they blow your budget, unless you find a used one.... You could build a pair of Tuba subs well within your budget.

Is it "warehouse club" or "wine bar club"?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
In a reasonably large space with a good deal of ambient noise more drivers should be better (it should be easier) at creating a uniform sound than fewer. Simply placing fewer, larger drivers (as opposed to the possibility of some careful acoustic engineering) would, I surmise, result in volume spikes closer to the sound source and significant dips elsewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.