AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a pair of tower speakers for the basement. Will be initially used for music... movies at some point later. Want something well-balanced, but with good amount of low end, not requiring a sub, although I will get a sub once I start using them for HT. Hopefully easy to drive as well.


I was thinking of PSB Image T65. I currently have a pair of bookshelf PSB Alpha B that I use in my computer setup, and like them quite a bit - they're a bit laid back and don't tire your ears even after extensive listening.


Anything else in this price range that I should seriously consider? Would Paradigm Monitor 9 fit in this budget? Although I think I like the looks of the Image better, as silly as it may sound. The black ones look great with the grills off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 /forum/post/17006115


Looking for a pair of tower speakers for the basement. Will be initially used for music... movies at some point later. Want something well-balanced, but with good amount of low end, not requiring a sub, although I will get a sub once I start using them for HT. Hopefully easy to drive as well.


I was thinking of PSB Image T65. I currently have a pair of bookshelf PSB Alpha B that I use in my computer setup, and like them quite a bit - they're a bit laid back and don't tire your ears even after extensive listening.


Anything else in this price range that I should seriously consider? Would Paradigm Monitor 9 fit in this budget? Although I think I like the looks of the Image better, as silly as it may sound. The black ones look great with the grills off.

Since you own and like PSB's why don't you go to one of your local shops and audition the T65's. In my opinion psb & paradigm are similar in sound, so you can't go wrong with either one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,443 Posts
Yes, the Paradigms are a good choice (to audition).


Also I will add Monitor Audio RS6's (can be had for around $800 new and less used) and Vandersteen 1C's (can also be had for around $800 new or less used). Boston Acoustics, JBL and Klipsch would be worth looking into as well.


Listen to everything you can find within your price range, then chose based on which sounds best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.


I've got a dealer nearby that carries both Image T65 and MA RS6, although the MA is close to $900. I know the T65 have much larger cabinets (20" deep), but it's not such a big issue. I'm more concerned about the speakers' ability to introduce some authoritative bass into the basement space which is quite large for the time being... 34x35x9ft. I'm starting to wonder if I don't need a sub, but I'm really not a big fan of listening to music with a sub.


Right now I have a pair of MA Bronze B2 down there and their low end is practically nonexistent. They did sound nice and full in my old small apartment though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
You are not going to find the Image T65 for audition as they have now been replaced by the new Imagine series. The Imagine T tower's msrp is $1999 too so that is probably out of your price range. As far as the Paradigm Monitor series goes they are technically not an apples to apples to comparison to the Image series. The Monitor series really goes with the PSB Alpha series and not the Image. The reason you can find the Image series for such a low price is because they are now discontinued so they have closeout pricing. The Image series really compares closer to the Studio series but I found the higher end Studios to be better. I have not heard the new v5 Studio series but the Imagine series does have some sonic qualities of the Synchrony series which is PSB's top of the line now. I find PSB top end to be very smooth which is great thing since the speaker will never give you a sense of fatigue when listening for long periods of time. Unfortunately I can't really say the same thing for the MA RS6. I felt a bit fatigued after listening to them for a while but then again you might not experience this and love their sound but just make sure you have a good length audition to find out.


Another speaker to check out if you can find a used pair is the Totem Arro. It's a very slim tower that puts out great sound especially on female vocals. I don't know what kind of music you listen to though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs /forum/post/17017538


You are not going to find the Image T65 for audition as they have now been replaced by the new Imagine series.

I don't believe this to be true. Imagine is a separate series, positioned above the Image line, but below Synchrony.


The Image line itself is getting a do-over, too. The redesigned Image series goes on sale in Q4 of this year. My local dealer still has plenty of the current Image speakers available, including the T65.
Quote:
I find PSB top end to be very smooth which is great thing since the speaker will never give you a sense of fatigue when listening for long periods of time.

That's what I like about my small PSB Alpha B. But from all I hear, the Image series isn't as laid back as the Alpha series. Certainly, I need to do some auditioning.

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't really say the same thing for the MA RS6. I felt a bit fatigued after listening to them for a while but then again you might not experience this and love their sound but just make sure you have a good length audition to find out.

A lot also depends on the equipment that powers the speakers. It can tame a bright speaker or it can make it even more bright.


And speaking of stuff getting discontinued, the RS line is at the end of its life as well. The new RX series is just around the corner...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 /forum/post/17017590


I don't believe this to be true. Imagine is a separate series, positioned above the Image line, but below Synchrony.


The Image line itself is getting a do over, too. The update Image series goes on sale in Q4 of this year. My local dealer still has plenty of the current Image speakers available, including the T65.

Wow that was my mistake sorry. I just went to the PSB website and you are right about there being a new Image series. They look a lot different than the old Image series for the better too. It looks like they have the same woofers from the Imagine series so I'm really wondering now how the Imagine and Image would sound side by side. Did your dealer tell you what the msrp will be on the T6 towers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't asked. Honestly, even the $800 is pushing my limits, and I'm sure the new Image T6 will go no lower than T65 MSRP which is what... $1200? Probably more.


I can only afford the T65 because it's currently on sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
The T65 are great speakers especially at their closeout pricing and can go LOUD. The only thing is that because they are closeout what will happen when you want to buy the matching center channel? Are you going to buy L/R and C all at the same time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, if I were to get the T65 fronts, I'd buy the C60 at the same time, considering that it's on sale now too... (about $280).
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top