AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the $600 price difference worth it when looking at the PZ85U vs the 800U? I have heard that many have been able to get the color really close with the 85U and is the THX really that great? When all is said and done, would I be able to sit back, look at the picture and think "I am glad I spen an extra $600"?

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the panel itself is pretty much the same. The 85U has a pretty crapy sound system built in where the 800U has a much fuller sound system built into it. If you don't have a sound system and don't want to spend money on someone coming over to calibrate your TV then get the 800U. The THX setting is pretty darn close to being ISF calibrated from what I've heard.

Now, if you have a good sound system already save a bit of cash and get the 85U. Then get it ISF calibrated. you'd still have spent less then the 800U and have a better picture then the 800U could provide out of the box.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly /forum/post/15551858

Is the $600 price difference worth it when looking at the PZ85U vs the 800U? I have heard that many have been able to get the color really close with the 85U and is the THX really that great? When all is said and done, would I be able to sit back, look at the picture and think "I am glad I spen an extra $600"?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/15569722

Just wait 3 months for the V series - I wouldn't buy an 800/850 right now, unless they get really cheap.

1st, I think VarmintCong advice is very sound. You may not want to buy the new series, but waiting a few more months will see the 800u heavily discounted to leave room for the new models.

Now, is it worth 600$ more than the 85u?

I would say it depends on you.

Yes, there are people who calibrated their display and managed to get the 85u very close to the 800u in terms of picture quality.

A professional calibration will cost about 500$, IIRC (better check the calibration forum to be sure though).

Of course, the 800u can also be calibrated and give you an even better picture.

But that's not the point. The point is, the 800u looks great out of the box, and having a THX mode, pretty much means you don't have to worry that much about fiddling with the settings for most material you're watching.

The 800u also has 24p motion, for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, that may be a plus to consider, despite the flicker (wich imho, isn't so bad after about a month, but then again, I don't watch 24p material that often and I can barely see the difference).

I own the 800u (50"), and I never regret getting this tv.

Imho, it's the best value out there. But of course, it is subjective

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:

Just wait 3 months for the V series - I wouldn't buy an 800/850 right now, unless they get really cheap.

Why? Those are going to be close to full retail price?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I would at least wait until the prices of the new line are released. I would believe that this should happen fairly soon. At least if you waited that you can have an idea of what the cost will be. It sounds like Panasonics new line has some potential to be much better than the current lineup. The short wait may be worth it.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/15570991

I would at least wait until the prices of the new line are released. I would believe that this should happen fairly soon. At least if you waited that you can have an idea of what the cost will be. It sounds like Panasonics new line has some potential to be much better than the current lineup. The short wait may be worth it.

Why do you say that? I have considered a 58" 800u, you think the next sets are going to better?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Depends how important color accuracy is to you.

I own a 50pz80u and it is going back due to horrible color accuracy.

I thought its' black would justify the purchase but Icannot live with poor color accuracy so it is an 800u or Sammy or Kuro.

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/15573731

Depends how important color accuracy is to you.

I own a 50pz80u and it is going back due to horrible color accuracy.

I thought its' black would justify the purchase but Icannot live with poor color accuracy so it is an 800u or Sammy or Kuro.

alot of people disagree, i know you go to the owners thread, where MANY happy owners post...i understand you come from a pioneer, so your opinion is going to be different than one coming from someone else

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Because certain aspects of IQ are more important than others depending on the individual.....for me after owning an accurate set, I realize now I can't have one that isn't.....regardless of good price or good blacks.

To each their own.

That's why I said, if color accuracy is important.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly /forum/post/15551858

Thanks

I have an 800U, and the THX mode is pretty darn good. Also, I don't have an external sound system, I use the TV's speakers, and the 800U is much better in that department from what I've heard. At least my 800U puts out real nice sound for a TV.

On the other hand - if you get an 85U professionally calibrated, it will look better than a non-calibrated 800U in THX. So I think if you're willing to go the calibration route, it's pretty much a wash, and 85U might be even better option.

The only other feature 800U has is 24p playback but it has some flaws as I'm sure you've read about by now.

If I were you I would wait until at least the first batch of NeoPDP's come out in a couple of months. They will beat the 85U and 800U most likely.

If you're willing to wait even longer and spend a couple more bucks, a 54" V10 would be sweet

·
Registered
633 Posts

Quote:

that's exactly the OP's dilemma...and mine too. in 3mos (2 now), the 800/850 will likely be a rare bird. cheap don't matter if there aren't any to be had.

without any good info on the 'premium' sound of the 800/850 in the new lineup, i have to say, i'm drawn to the 850 at the moment. i should add that i have an opportunity to pick one up new w/+1yr ext. warranty at several hundred $ less than the current 'best' 'net pricing.

but i've not yet bit...

40000:1! infinite black! gotta have it...

oh...re: the 85u. no way. wait for the 12g sets if sound quality isn't an issue.

see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1117329

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeopbiz /forum/post/15803883

Yeah, but I wonder how much the new v10 in the summer 09 will be.....

It's hard to say, but should be within reason of the 11G's.

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts