AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my HTPC to display a 16:9 aspect ratio resolution on my Infocus LP340 (SVGA DLP). I used Powerstrip to setup a custom resolution of 800x450, but the projector does not seem to sync up at this resolution. Are there specific timing parameters I need to set in powerstrip in order to make this work?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you put '800x450' into the search above you will see a recent post I made about this problem...

With a GeForce GFX card I have been unable to do this (after a lot of trying and assistance from Ashley) and i belive that the GFX card drivers will not operate below 480 vert...

If you think about it VGA is minimum resolution for DOS and it is reasonable to assume that it is a driver limitation...

The more detailed topic is here ...

Sorry I dont have better info...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
557 Posts
I always thought the best compromise with an SVGA projector is to use a resolution of 800x480, and use YxY to crop the sides slightly. Less than 3% is lost off each side, and it shows the 480 lines off the DVD with no vertical scaling at all. Scaling from 480 to 450 vertical lines is just begging for scaling artifacts.

You might even be able to get Windows to run under an 800x480 resolution.

Dave

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Why not 1066x600? The projector won't be able to tell you're using a higher horizontal resolution and should sync the same way it does to 800x600.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
IIRC (damn Phreddy used that too) the Geforce's using HWMC have bad looking "downscale" (scaling down to 450 lines from 480.) I believe the Radeon with hardware assist gets around this. I personally use the Radeon like this (SVGA monitor displays DVDs with 450 lines) and I think it looks very nice.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Steve,

This suggestion has thrown me...

I am using a digital PJ... I use my HTPC to scale everything to the native resolution of the display device... If I follow your suggestion, and my PJ does succeed in sync'ing to this resolution will I not have a very distorted image when the 1066x600 is 'scaled' (probably very poorly judging by my PJ's usual efforts) to 800x600 ??

I am thinking this is going to result in a hopelessly squeezed (horizontally) image similar to anamorphic stretch ???

Am I misunderstanding this totally ??

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.