AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an X1. Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do current LCD projectors (with fixed 800x600 screens) produce good 16:9 images without using letterboxing?

I'm assuming you don't use letterboxing because that would reduce your useable pixels by at least a third.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
That is exactly what they do - Letterbox the image. Actually you have 2 choices an anemorphic (sp?) lens that lets you "widen" your 800x600 image but costs 1/3 as much as an X1 or you use a limited number of pixels. Or let the projector letterbox.

THis is OK with DVD's because they have under 500 lines of resolution anyway, but as your screen gets bigger (or you sit closer) these limits start to be visable.

I spent the extra $500 for XGA and use the projector letterboxed. The 16:9 projectors are nice too. I think the Z1 and L200 aren't too far off from the X1 in price.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
The X1 is a DLP, not LCD. It does letterbox, but it produces a fantastic image even on my 8 foot wide (about 9 feet diagonal) 16:9 screen. I have black masking behind the screen, so the black bars are above and below the 16:9 screen on the black masking (so you don't really even notice them). Judge with your eyes (get a free demo). The X1 has an incredible fardouja deinterlacer and it does a great job. Some DVDs look as good or better on the X1 than they do on my 55" HD Rear Projection TV. The X1 produces a great image, especially for the money.

You could always demo an X1 for free. Infocus recently sent me an X1 and I kept it for 7 days (you can keep it for 10 though), now I plan to buy one. The faroudja cleans up DVDs so much that I was stunned. Little things that used to bother me were wiped out by the faroudja. Incredible little product.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Using a 4X3 projector for a 16X9 image works a lot better than you might think.

I find that DLP units, which have much less screendoor, can look very good with 16X9 material. I currently have an X1, which I use with DVD's and also HDTV via OTA and DirecTV.

Most of the audience sits about 1.7-2.0 times the screen width from the screen. HDTV looks surpisingly good, in fact some of the better programs have elicited gasps from people.

I have also tested a number of LCD projectors. There is much more screendoor which, for me, is a problem.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I shot this PJ on a 7' wide 16:9 screen and a 8' wide 2.35 screen (masking the black bars away). The 1:1 pixel mapping it does gives a great picture. I had a friend who didn't think 800x600 could possibly be enough pixels for this type of usage. So did I, but when I saw the demo I was sold. Anyway, my friend came over to see mine, and literally ran out and bought one the next day. Get a hold of a demo. Or just go pick one up. You'll be surprised.

I tend to believe it has a lot to do with the unit's ability to do 1:1 pixel mapping with DVDs (overscan option set to ON).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
I tend to believe it has a lot to do with the unit's ability to do 1:1 pixel mapping with DVDs (overscan option set to ON).
That's the first time I've read that overscan improves the image. I'll try it tonight after I get home.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info...

You confirmed what I suspected. I am currently using an older Sanyo 800x600 projector. It has an option to take the anamorphic picture and letterbox it - that never looked very good to me, so I've been blowing up the picture and using the black felt borders on my screen to hide the letterbox.

Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I'm looking into inexpensive projectors and find everyone's posts very informative.

Can any of you please check out Dell's 2100MP and post your feedback about it?

Some quick specs:

Bright 1,000 ANSI lumens (Max)

Super high 1800:1 contrast (Full On/Full Off)

800x600 DLP

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
807 Posts
you might post a thread w/ an informative title like 'looking for Dell 2100 recommendations' ... or the like. someone recently compared that PJ w/ another, but I forget the details; you might try a search on 'dell 2100' too.

Mark

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yes, by all means make sure overscan is "checked." It delivers a great DVD clarity using this clever (IMHO) 1:1 mapping mode.

Not only that, but using a 16:9 screen, you'll have no black bars on either 1.78 or 1.85 material, and only smaller black bars on 2.35 material.

Fits nicely with the 16:9 screen. HDTV and most movies won't have black bars...just the really wide 2.35 aspect ratio films (LotR, etc) will show some, so those are the only ones you have to worry about masking (if they really bother you at all).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.