AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently upgraded to the Linksys 802.11g setup for my pen tablet. I was expecting a big improvement over the 802.11b setup I had been using. What I have found however, is that even though I am showing 94% and up signal strength as well as 54 mips transfer rate I still can not get the screen refreshes as fast as needed. The WMP visualizations will not even update fast enough in full screen, they do update fast enough in mini mode. I am using XP Pro and Remote Desktop. Am I expecting too much? Are ther any setup issues that I may need to complete? BTW, I have updated the Router to the latest firmware.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ed

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Ed,

I'd say you are expecting too much, first I think wireless has higher latencies than wired networking (not sure how much highter) and second (the big one) I doubt 54Mbps is anywhere near enough to display the visualizations. I say that because the visualizations are essentially video.

Just for example lets say the visualizations on your tablet are 12fps*640x480*16bits/pixel, by my calculations that comes out to be approx 59Mbps, already more than 54Mbps.

I looked at WMP and in the visualization settings you can change the resolution, so you could try some lower resolutions and see if those work. Just keep in mind that there's a lot of overhead that goes along with the visualization's data so that 59Mbps number I came up with is probably a very conservative figure (especially if the vis refresh rate and/or bit depth are higher).

I know an expert here will correct me if I've made any bad assumptions but I'd say expecting visualizaitons to work might be too much to ask for. You might want to try netremote+media jukebox/center. I've played with it a little and it's a very interesting combination.

Hope that helps,

Chad

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Chad. I was just using the visualizations as an example, I'm really not to concerened about seeing those on the Pen Tablet. I wanted some feedback on whether or not I should be getting better service out of my wireless connection.

I would like to play with video content over the wireless and I have run into issues with that as well. I get an overlay error when trying to run Dscaler or TT via wireless.

Thanks again,

Ed

·
Registered
174 Posts
802.11g is really overhyped these days. First, the actual speed is like 22MBps. 54MBps is a BIG stretch - it's all theoretical. In practice, you're looking at rates of MAYBE 20MBps. Plus, it's not very stable right now. The official standard is not finalized yet, so its likely that newer 802.11g products will work poorly with older 802.11g access points.

802.11a is a little better, performance wise. you could expect maybe 36MBps throughput, on average (with a theoretical top of 54MBps).

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only other catch with the Linksys (and probably all current G implementations) is that if you configure it for mixed mode and have any active B devices, the entire network drops to the 11MBps B standard speed. There is talk of getting this fixed in a future firmware release, sounds like you upgraded everything to 11g anyway so that shouldn't be a limiting factor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rich, I did have it set up as mixed mode initially but no longer need that. I don't recall going in and changing it. I will check tonight.

Thanks again,

Ed

·
Registered
49 Posts
You might want to look at a better quality wireless device (both on the AP side and the NIC). I've used Cisco 802.11b devices to stream DVD quality video pretty successfully and the 802.11a devices easily handle it. You'll get about 5.5Mbps with the Cisco radios on 802.11b. The 802.11g radio should be out soon too...

I don't know what you're planning on streaming with(or what kind of content you want to stream), but I've been looking at using VideoLAN: http://www.videolan.org/. All of my testing has been done with Cisco's IPTV server though, so I'm just starting to play with this stuff here at home.

In case you haven't guessed it, I work for Cisco, so it's easy for me to say use the expensive stuff, right? =) Linksys is good too, just a different target market. I would have said you would never get this working on pretty much any non-Cisco 802.11b but I think you may be able to get it going with the Linksys 802.11g though.

Also, remember that 802.11g isn't ratified yet--it's close enough that a lot of vendors have released chipsets because it's extremely unlikely that it will change enough that a firmware release won't make them compliant. This is actually why there isn't an 802.11g release from Cisco right now. Anyway, the point is that if you're patient, it should be ratified by mid-summer and from now until probably at least mid-fall each software update by Linksys should continue to improve the product.

Sorry for the rambling... =)

Tim

·
Registered
371 Posts
Any 802.11 base station worth its salt has flashable BIOS.

I don't think changes in the 802.11g standard, or formalization of functions are going to render existing access points obsolete, or even prevent them from performing at their peak specs. The only thing that would change that is if they added functionality to the specification that requires hardware to implement. At this stage of deveopment, that isn't likely.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree that it's highly likely (99.9%) that existing 802.11g hardware will be just fine. Like anything else in computing though, firmware/software improvements will often improve performance as a product matures. Also, like anything else in computing and especially in networking, basic compliance to a spec does not mean that all vendors will end up with the same performance. Especially in wireless throughput and range can vary greatly from vendor to vendor--even if they're using the same chipset. It's just like with a new motherboard chipset--8 different manufacturers can implement it and performance can vary 8 different ways.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I picked up the Linksys "g" router several weeks ago along with the PCMCIA "g" adapter. I can now stream DVD's to the laptop with zero problems.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ed,

Just curious, but what made you think that the bottleneck was the wireless network ?

Have you run any other screen intensive apps on the web tablet ?, it could be that.

As for 802.11g, there is nothing wrong with it and I very much doubt anything much will change in the standard to render what you have obsolete. In any case, if the standard were to change it would only give you a problem with a mixed vendor solution. The stuff you have now works together doesn't it.

For others reading this, the Cisco wireless gear is generally not bad, but I have heard their 802.11a stuff has poor range. It is also way overkill (expensive) for use in a home environmnt. Use Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Buffalo, etc.. They do vary a little, but mostly work well and dirt cheap too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
802.11a does have less range at full throughput because it runs at a higher frequency. That's the nature of RF devices. However, 802.11a does rachet down just like 802.11b and 802.11g do and it's still significantly faster than 802.11b at the outside of their range (when 802.11b is running at 11Mbps, 802.11a will still be running at 24Mbps). 802.11a has other advantages for business users such as 8 channels vs 3 for .11g+b and a less used frequency range, but .11g is definitely the panacea for home users.

Tim

·
Registered
570 Posts
Is it true that if I have a g router, and a single b wireless card is accessing it, that the speed of the connections slows down for the other 3 g wireless cards? That seems incredibly stupid. What is the point of interoperability if the speed takes a hit?

RDaneel

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't currently know where the bottleneck is, that is why I am asking questions. Generally my system runs well. I was surprised to learn the bandwith reqired for WMP visualizations, I though that might be a good indication of how the wireless was running. My system consist of the following:

P4 1.6 Gig w/512meg 2100 ddr running XP Pro

ATI 9500 Pro 128 meg

AP2496

WD 120G 7400 8meg buffer

Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 Pen Tablet P2 266 running 98SE connected via Remote Destop

Linksys 802.11g wireless Infrastructure mode

Any obvious bottlenecks?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have been running a Linksys 801.1G network for a couple months now and can transfer files at over 1MB/s however watching a DVD or a divx movie is a different story. I haven't been able to get rid of stuttering playback over the network even though the bandwidth is there. The only program that has played correctly is videolan.

Does anybody know what the problem is?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ed-

If you're doing Remote Desktop, it's trying to transmit a lot of video data over the link that Remote Desktop isn't really to handle. Remote Desktop is basically just designed to draw some windows and let you do some basic remote control. What you need to do is either stream your media with VideoLAN or share the files and connect to your PC by simply opening the remote folder over the network and playing the files using an application that's running directly on the Pen Tablet.

For instance I have one machine on my network that I store most of my HDTV recordings on. If I want to watch one of those recordings in my office or on my HTPC, I launch the HDTV player and remotely open the file and play it locally on my machine. The only thing that's happening on the network is my local machine is continuously reading off of the remote box.

Off the top of my head though, VideoLAN streaming is your only choice though because you're going to have to do some serious compression on that video in order to make the video small enough that that poor little P2 266 can handle.

Hope that helps a bit more,

Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.