AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people have discussed streaming 802.11g with their Replays, but I had not seen anyone mention this.

If I buy a Linksys G router for routing and a G AP and throw it in bridging mode will it work?

The setup I have now is an 802.11b router, one wireless desktop and a WET-11 for the Replay. My router is getting loopy and needs to be replaced. I'd love to use G on my Replay since even streaming low quality is touch and go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From what I know of the Linksys products I don't believe you can take a WRT54G and a WAP54G and bridge them together. Specifically on the setup page you configure the bridging on the WAP54G it states "Note: When set to "Wireless Bridge" mode, this device will only communicate with another Linksys Access Point (WAP54G, WAP11)." I think you may need to wait until they release the WET54G Wireless Ethernet Bridge later this year. Here's a link to info on that product if you want.

http://www.linksys.com/splash/wet54g_splash.asp

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks awesome. Linksys needs to hurry up and release that bad boy. How badly will my network choke if I have a mixed g/b network? I know I won't get full g speeds on my g clients but will they revert back to B speeds?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I would be VERY lucky to get half of the 54, it is the same thing with 802.11b. I just want standard quality shows to stream without getting "Video is temporarily unavailable messages".

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiyuri
I just want standard quality shows to stream without getting "Video is temporarily unavailable messages".
When I was running a 4080 and a 4504 on a 100mb wired LAN, I would almost always see that error message at least once during an hour show. On rare occassions I'd get though a whole show without seeing it. So it may hoping for too much to get away from it using any type of wireless.

With two 5040s on the other hand, I never see that error message, but the remote 5040 (the one the show is streaming from) must be turned off for streaming to work.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I have an update. I found that Buffalo Tech.'s 802.11G router can bridge and route at the same time. Their tech people say it can replace my WET-11. I ordered 2 (at $100/ea it is roughly the same price as my WET-11) so we shall see.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am in a similar situation as you. Have two 5xxx Replays, one wired to a Linksys WRT54G and the other connected wirelessly via a Linksys WET11. I am hoping that the new G wireless bridge would allow streaming between the units as I cannot get CAT5 to my media center RTV easily.

Please let us know how your setup works when you get the Buffalo units hooked up. I wonder if the Buffalo unit would talk with my Linksys WRT54G if I tried replacing the WET11 with it? Hmmm...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiyuri
The way it was explained to me it only bridges to other Buffalo units.
I was afraid of that. :(

Thanks for the info, I am still anxious to hear how the streaming works with a "G" connection.

Quote:
BTW, Corgis rule :)
Yep, they are wonderful pets!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.