AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so impressed with my 802.11g network performance I had to share it.

Brought Netgear WGR614 (802.11a and 802.11g) wireless DSL modem / router yesterday. Plugged in to replace Linksys wireless (802.11a) modem router) and it all worked first time.

I am using 64 bit WEP encryption and was streaming High Quality from my PC (DVARCHIVE files), walking all around the house with my notebook, with no loss or skipping of the file (using Windows Media Player). Even whilst using another notebook using 802.11b, I was getting 24-54 MBS (not real I know) almost everywhere. Signal strength never went below 40% but was mostly in the 80-100% range.

I love the security features of the netgear much more than the linksys and I'm normally a linksys fan (one of just a few). I live in a 3 story (router in basement) house of over 5000 sq ft and apart from a room over a gargage, 3 floors up, the signal was great.

FYI - I did a straight copy of a 1gb replay file in about 7 minutes over the wireless link.

Way to go 802.11G :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My PC running DVArchive connects to Lan and thus to the RTV. I stream from that PC using realplayer or Media Player. My PC is 10 times better at multi-tasking than the replay so I copy all shows from both my replays to DVArchive constantly.

If I stream from the replay direct, even to another replay over my 100MBS Lan, I have to make sure the replay is off to get the best performance so now I don't bother most of the time and make sure DVArchive is the central bucket for collecting all shows.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I recently had satelite installed so had to rig up my cable modem in my dining room. I'm using a wireless router to my G4 (the only other computer with a wireless card besides my laptop) and from there it's sharing to the rest of my network (couple of PC's and replaytv). Double-NAT isn't something I want to keep using and I would really like the router/modem out of my dining room.

My cheapest solution is to open the wall up right there in the dining room and drop a coax cable down 2 stories from the attic. It can be done because there are two other coax lines dropped down at the same point. It just might be a collosal PITA, especially since my attic is on a slant so the area I'd be working in would be able 6" tall.

The easy/expensive solution is to go wireless for everything, but 802.11b is slow. With the amount of hardware I'd need to buy it's looking to be quite expensive to go g yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been running an 802.11g network with the Replay, and DVA on all the PCs, for several months. All's been great so far. I've got the cable modem, RTV 4504, and my main PC hardwired to the Lynksys 802.11g AP/router. Then I've got an 802.11g PCI card in the PC upstairs. With DVA, I've been able to stream high quality mpegs from the Replay to & from both PCs, and from one PC to the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.