AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a chance to purchase a pair of 804S speakers along with a HTM3S center. My theater room measures 19' long x 13' wide. Do you think these speakers would be suitable?

Thanks! Ollie.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a pair of 804s, they have no issue driving big home theater sound across a 10 x 10 ft area, and would have no issue with another five feet of depth (previous apartment, bigger room). I can't imagine there being an issue with a slightly wider space when you have a center - you can reposition the 804s wider than I can (I'll end up with a 'hole' in the middle instead of a phantom center if I position mine wider for a bigger stage).

You might want more/different power than what a receiver might provide - my Denon feels less dynamic and brighter than the McIntosh I replaced it with. Room treatments would help with the brightness, but definitely consider a dedicated amp for a room that size if you're driving them to relatively high levels.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverweagle  /t/1416383/804s-and-htm3s-suitable-for-home-theater#post_22145111

Hi - I have a chance to purchase a pair of 804S speakers along with a HTM3S center. My theater room measures 19' long x 13' wide. Do you think these speakers would be suitable?

Thanks! Ollie.

Do you listen at reference levels? They are rated at 90dB @ 8 ohms, so you shouldn't have an issue with them for HT unless you're under-powering them.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
They should work fine, but the impedance may be lower than the rated 8 ohms.

The impedance dips down to 4 ohms at some frequencies, I believe, and that could be a problem for some HT receivers.

What receiver do you plan to use with them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I have been looking at the Emotiva XPA-3 to drive the front speakers along with Denon 4311. I do not have any first hand experience with Emo - so I suppose it is a leap of faith really. I had the room prewired with 14 gauge for the front speakers - no fancy/expensive wire just 14 gauge 4 core CL3.

Sometimes I see 803's for not too much more than the 804's - just wonder if they may be too much for the room terms of presence and how they would fit into the room from an aesthetic perspective.

Thanks again,

Ollie

·
Premium Member
870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverweagle  /t/1416383/804s-and-htm3s-suitable-for-home-theater#post_22148601

Thanks for the replies! I have been looking at the Emotiva XPA-3 to drive the front speakers along with Denon 4311. I do not have any first hand experience with Emo - so I suppose it is a leap of faith really.

Ollie

I'm in in the exact same boat. I'm interested to see what people say.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've read on here that the Emo amps have a 'high noise floor,' which I think refers to the fact that they have an audible hum when there's no music playing. Otherwise, I've never heard anything bad about any of them. And for that matter, I can hear my McIntosh through my 804s, so it's not like going to another brand will necessarily make a hum go away. For what it's worth, my Denon 2807 is dead silent.

As for 803 vs 804s... Well, first, I presume the 803s speaker as opposed to the 803d, which would require the HTM2d to be a perfect match (rather than the HTM3s). The 803s simply has a larger cabinet and bass drivers, which might give you a bit more bass in your bigger room - that said, if you're looking to spend this much, you should consider having a sub to truly go lower anyway. If you do, I'd say stick with the 804s - they're smaller, lighter (easier to move), less imposing (better WAF, if that's an issue), and the narrower front baffle supposedly means it radiates better laterally, though I've never been able to directly compare them. I've never had an issue with the amount of bass that my unassisted 804s have to offer, but my room is likely half the volume of yours.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I think the 4311 will be more than enough to run 803 or 804 speakers.

If the 803 is close in price, to me it is a no brainer get the 803.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts