AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 80gig PS3 expecting to play the majority of my PS2 games on it.

I came to find out that the compatibility isn't all that great. I was a big SSX fan. Out of my 4 SSX games, only SSX Tricky has no known issues.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

And yes, I have encountered all of these hangs. These games are essentially unplayable.

Has the compatibility list been updated with the various firmware updates?

·
Registered
358 Posts
That is some bad luck for sure. I think its compatabile with about 88% of the games but if most you have or like are in that small unsupported % it might as well be 0% for you. Maybe keep an eye out for a 60 gig.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My SSX Tricky locks up in the same place every time I try it. I was really disappointed about that after learning it was supposedly compatible.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crap, I hadn't tried Tricky yet. I was hoping that it worked.

I'd rather not get a 60Gig because I don't want the bluetooth issues.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/12877344

Supposedly the Bluetooth issues aren't a problem if you have a DS3, might be something to think about. I'm hoping that's the case personally because the Sixaxis likes to crap out on me at the most inopportune moments, I can't wait till my DS3 shows up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a 20 and a 60 with no BT issues. I do hear the newer controls helps those that do have interfearence or whatever is causing thier issues.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/12874925

Has the compatibility list been updated with the various firmware updates?

Yes. For example, type in Final Fantasy - problems were resolved with version 2.00 and 2.10 on several of the titles. So they have a team working on the software.

But it's not happening fast. My recommendation is don't hold your breath on SSX or any other specific title.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:

I have a 60gb with no BT issues.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMotoX /forum/post/12880521

?? Im confused ?? I put SSX in the search box it says all of the games have no compatibility issues???

It's been a pretty well-documented set of issues. Do a google search and you'll turn up a ton. Not sure if it's been fixed in subsequent firmware updates, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sony's BC list is pretty shoddy. The games in that list will run, but many of them have a wide array of small problems, and they don't really update the list with those specific issues (they don't care about BC anymore, anyway, right?).

And for the sake of smugness: I sure am glad I got my 60gig!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMotoX /forum/post/12880521

?? Im confused ?? I put SSX in the search box it says all of the games have no compatibility issues???

You have to select the 80Gig PS3 first.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Quote:

I got a 60gig in August and have not had one bluetooth issue yet, ever. Not one.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't really matter. My 80 Gig isn't returnable.
Sony Style doesn't allow returns.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
As I posted in another thread... 90% of the PS2 titles on the 80GB machine work no differently than the 60GB. That's thousands of games right there before you factor in 100% compatibility with PSOne games. No other competing console comes close in number or percentage. Maybe the games you have problems with unfortunately fall in that 10% range, but "horrible" it is not. I have yet to find a game in my PS2/PSOne library that has any problems.

confidenceman: apparently Sony is hiring even more emulation programmers. So it seems that they haven't just decided to abandon it at all.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/12886477

confidenceman: apparently Sony is hiring even more emulation programmers. So it seems that they haven't just decided to abandon it at all.

No one's sure yet what to make of this hiring announcement.

I've seen everything from rumors of a PS4 to doing nothing more than they already are. But, yes, I'm sure they'll eventually abandon BC in all skus in favor of selling legacy titles (PS2, PS1) through PSN. The current BC support in the 80gig will probably start getting phased out sometime this year. There's another thread on this around here somewhere...

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
They can't simply sell PS2 games over the PSN (or PSOne games for that matter) without an emulator being involved. Some games may use an internal software emulator that is built into the game I suppose, but the vast majority will likely work under a future external software emulator (i.e. on the PS3 itself). It only makes sense that they keep working on it so that they have a new revenue stream for PS2 games that bypasses retailers (and used PS2 game sales outlets), manufacturing, packaging, shipping, advertising, etc. altogether for maximum profit.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/12887776

They can't simply sell PS2 games over the PSN (or PSOne games for that matter) without an emulator being involved. Some games may use an internal software emulator that is built into the game I suppose, but the vast majority will likely work under a future external software emulator (i.e. on the PS3 itself). It only makes sense that they keep working on it so that they have a new revenue stream for PS2 games that bypasses retailers (and used PS2 game sales outlets), manufacturing, packaging, shipping, advertising, etc. altogether for maximum profit.

Exactly my point. For Wii's legacy games (Virtual Console), each system has its own software emulator that gets downloaded to your console the first time you download a game from a particular legacy system, thus obviating any sort of hardware-based (or software/hardware hybrid as in the 80gig PS3) emulation.

The days of backwards compatibility are numbered for PS3. In its place, we'll soon see software emulation as the only option for playing older games. "Software emulation" is not the same thing as "backwards compatibility" since you won't be able to play old discs on the console.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:

I got a 60GB straight from sony in their last batch at Sony Style and have no bluetooth issues with either sixaxis or DS3.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts