AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Facts.

Home Built in 1977. Room measures 24X16. Full of 80's plush turquiose carpet

(Sadly I think this carpet is only 8 years old, just completly not with the times)

The problem is, this carpet is in great shape! I'd hate to tear up perfectly good carpet if I don't have to. Can anyone out there suggest some great color schemes that would work with this eye straining indigo madness? I'm really trying to make every dollar count on this build and if I can find a nice solution I'll jump at it.

Thanks in advance.

Sevker

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
How about dark gray and black? Not sure where in your house this room is located.

·
Registered
17,372 Posts
Take a virtual tour thru the Elvis Graceland Mansion .. I'm sure there would be some great ideas .. such as the Jungle Room ..

Seriously, though .. a basic black scheme would probably look OK with this carpet .. black furniture, etc ..

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wow, just...wow.

If it were me, I'd throw the biggest blowout basement party you can host...encourage spilled drinks and food fights. By the time you see it the next morning you won't feel nearly as bad for wanting to tear it up.

In all seriousness, you might think about posting a picture on craigslist to see if you can find someone looking for a flashback 80s renovation. If you can get any money for that stuff, consider it a win.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Perhaps a Sesame Street theme

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Do a google on Carpet Dyeing. My bother-in-law had a franchise for a while doing this. It all depends on the material the carpet is made of how well it works. They can't make it lighter but they can make it darker. See if there is anyone in your area that offers this service, may be the ticket to savings.

This was the first hit
http://www.carpetdyeing.com/

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I'd just bite the bullet and rip it out personally.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 4 year old would love the Sesame street theme! HAH The room is located in the basement... Seriously guys, this crap is everywhere.. It literally covers the entire basement. If it goes, it all goes.. Stairs, landing, bar area, 4th bedroom, ect...

Here is a crude Before/After Concept

It's fairly rough, but I took the dark/gray black idea and threw it up there. I might as well add this conceptual sketch of where I'm heading later on in the build.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think it looks decent. It will definitely be different! Not all theaters need to be black and red. If you use a dark gray that is slightly blue/green it will match better than a gray that is slightly red like your quick concept pic. You could get some paint to match the carpet and then pour a bit of it into the gray paint you buy. (Big's suggestion a few days ago.)

With gray and black, you could always change the carpet to just about anything else down the line when you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts