AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having issues with their 8100 or 8500 with the lens shift drifting?

Mine keeps lowering itself by about 1/4" to 1/2" over the course of a week. Could be due to temp. variations in the room. I typically only use the PJ over the weekend, so I'll set it then and next weekend it is off.

I know the dials are a bit flaky ans I suspect this is is the cause. I'd hate to have to get a warranty replacement that has convergence issues only to find the same issue exists.

I even tried over compensating by making the image higher and letting it settle. That worked for 2 weeks, but then oddly the image was higher the following weekend. Just annoying to have to adjust it once a week, especially since the dials aren't very smooth to begin with.

Thought?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
my 6100 does this, drops about 1/4" over a weeks time......

oh well, someday i will send it back for new one (warranty) but i will probably wait till 1 year 11 months in....

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't want to have to deal with this but if most people are having no issues I guess I will have no choice. How does Epson's warranty work for replacement. Do I have to send mine back first?

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Have you placed a mark on the dials to see if they are actually moving or is it possible the house? Sounds crazy but joists move with temp changes and you said that you set high, it went low and then back to high where you had it.. Just something to consider before sending it back. You may want to take it down and put it on a table and see if you have the same results as with it ceiling/shelf mounted...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/18235361

Have you placed a mark on the dials to see if they are actually moving or is it possible the house? Sounds crazy but joists move with temp changes and you said that you set high, it went low and then back to high where you had it.. Just something to consider before sending it back. You may want to take it down and put it on a table and see if you have the same results as with it ceiling/shelf mounted...

I have thought of doing just this.

You are spot on about the Temp. changes. The room does go from the 50's during he nights to 70's in the day. It is an addition and is on a slab, not a basement. Also, he ceiling does not have another floor above it, just a small crawl space and the roof. So the ceiling temps could be fluctuating. I do suspect this may be the issue, and it is why I am so hesitant to have it replaced only to find the same issue.

Table mounting is not possible. I could try marking the position. If it drifts, I could try securing the dial with some kind of tape....though that would be ugly....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/18235187

I really don't want to have to deal with this but if most people are having no issues I guess I will have no choice. How does Epson's warranty work for replacement. Do I have to send mine back first?

call them (card came with projector) they will put a hold on your cc, and next day one to you, you send back yours in the same box (they cover shipping) and release hold when it arrives.

if you cant put a hold on cc you send yours in, and they next day one to you when it arrives.

great service.

good luck

oh and as far as the mark on the wheel. i did this, and they did not move, just the lens. the odd thing was it only happens since i mounted upside down, not when on a shelf upright...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger /forum/post/18235611

call them (card came with projector) they will put a hold on your cc, and next day one to you, you send back yours in the same box (they cover shipping) and release hold when it arrives.

if you cant put a hold on cc you send yours in, and they next day one to you when it arrives.

great service.

good luck

oh and as far as the mark on the wheel. i did this, and they did not move, just the lens. the odd thing was it only happens since i mounted upside down, not when on a shelf upright...

Thanks. I'll wait to hear from others and see if I can get it stabilize before calling for . I just have a feeling they all could end up having the same issue if it is temp related.

At worst, I suppose they could send me the new one and if it has the same issue or the convergence is way off, I can send them back the replacement?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 /forum/post/18235962

Use tape on the roller.

Or RMA it.

IF the above post is correct, taping the dial will not help.

Looking to hear from others who have/had this problem or those who have no problem at all. Trying to determine if it is temp. variance or a faulty unit.

I'm really in no mood to deal with more returns (went through 3 elite screens) but will if I have to. It seems epson will be much more helpful in getting a new unit to me quickly under warranty.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Marko /forum/post/18237207

No problem with my shelf mounted 8100. Had it since Jan.

Seems people who are using a shelf do not have this issue. Anyone else with a ceiling mount either have or not have this issue?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Mine sits on a stand so it can get bumped, but I have noticed that it drifts about a quarter of an inch also. The lens shift wheel is rather loose. I figured if it was ceiling mounted, it wouldn't happen. Guess I was wrong. I can live with it since everything else is good and I have to tweak each time I use it since I don't have a dedicated room.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've actually read that someone had a ceiling mounted PJ (don't remember what model or brand) and the adjustment of the mount itself was slipping, not the lens shift.

Once he tightened up the mount, the PJ's picture never drifted again.

Maybe it would be worthwhile double-checking your mount adjustment screws and nuts. Give them an extra tightening just to make sure things aren't shifting around.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V /forum/post/18238359

I've actually read that someone had a ceiling mounted PJ (don't remember what model or brand) and the adjustment of the mount itself was slipping, not the lens shift.

Once he tightened up the mount, the PJ's picture never drifted again.

Maybe it would be worthwhile double-checking your mount adjustment screws and nuts. Give them an extra tightening just to make sure things aren't shifting around.

I am sure it is not the mount. Those screws are as tight as can be. I have rechecked it with a level several times as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have mine on a shelf above the couch since last october. In the last couple of months I have noticed that it has drifted up and the the left maybe a half an inch. I adjusted back about a month ago and again this week I have noticed that it drifted again.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I beginning to wonder if they ALL do this?

Does anyone (especially those with ceiling mounts) NOT notice your lens shift drifting a bit? Seems like a big oversight from all the reviews.....but then again they probably don't keep them setup long enough to notice. Given the way the whole lens shift assembly is build and hoe cheap the dials feel, it seems that it may be inherent to the design. So any others with feedback please post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
FWIW, my Sony HS51's lens shift wheels felt about the same as the 8100s. While neither of my PJs drifted, I did notice them move a little when the kids were jumping around in the room above the theater. Maybe some of these drifting problems are the result of the walls/ceiling moving a bit and slightly moving the mount or PJ. Doesn't take much of a shift in the PJ to get the image to move fractions of an inch.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Vibration can move mountains and Subs vibrate... Just look on the bright side.. use lots of us DLP owners don't have lens shift

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/18249451

Vibration can move mountains and Subs vibrate... Just look on the bright side.. use lots of us DLP owners don't have lens shift

Except it does not happen when the system is in use.....but during the week when the PJ is off the the sound system is not running very hot. I'm more inclined to think it is temp. variances. It seems many people have this issue. If it is not a defective unit, it seems like it would bother more people than just me? Having to adjust every time you want to use the PJ is no fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts