AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running a 6000 through the RGB outputs to a Seleco 300 extra (a 720p native projector) on a 119 inch 16x9 screen.

I ordered an 811 to take advantage of the DVI and to simultaneously run the component output to the plasma in my bedroom.

With the 720p output, the 811 shows artefacts and motion in the details. I've seen that others don't even get 720p in HD, but this is basically 95% of the quality of the 6000. Definitely not SD, but a bit off the 6000. With a plasma or a rear projection, it would probably be fine.

The issue is on both the DVI and the component outputs, when in 720p.

I spent an hour with Dishnet and they sent be a replacement 811. Same basic deal on 720p, except that I can get 1080i to scale into a proper 16x9 frame with the replacement 811. 1080i is as detailed as the 6000 without the artifacts.

However, the color set is quite a bit different between the 6000 and the 811. My test source was last nights Leno with Charlize Theron. Her skin tone looked pale on the 811, with too much white. Almost like two color temp settings off. The 6000 was just a better presentation. Also, I have another box (a 2 year old Panasonic) that always looked a bit better than the 6000 (although I couldn't connect all three).

I can see the colors being off from the 1080i/720p conversion in my projector. I can see the 720p motion happening from the scaling in the 811. They probably have a poor conversion somewhere. The big question I'm wondering is whether Dishnet (i) can fix these things with software patches and (ii) will even accept that they need to be fixed?

I looked through most of the posts on the 811, but haven't seen anyone address this issue. I thought I'd start a new thread. No offense, but if you aren't running a front projector with a big screen, it really isn't relevant to this level of detail.

Any gut feelings on this?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did talk to Dish about the 811. They said:

(i) they will be fixing the reception issue with software, and

(ii) they have no reports of any issues withteh 720p output.

They logged the 720p issue and said to call back in a week to see if they find anything.

On the colors, I was able to get reasonable flesh tones after some tweaking in the custom color correction menu. The 6000, which I was used to, is probably too red.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.