AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They were still setting up the unit so I was not able to see a picture. The cabinet is great looking though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I believe the tv was already there and they are just moving it. If I am not mistaken, I saw the tv a few weeks back. They had it outside the main tv room. On a quick glance, I thought it looked good, at least for resolution. Not sure about black levels as it was in a bright area.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Airblair, thanks... I did want to spend more time with it and Santa Clara is nearby....

·
Registered
256 Posts
No problem. I only hope they've cleaned the screen of all of the lip prints left over from that high-definition bikini show on HDNet.

OK, I'm kidding.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
The set was there over the Christmas holidays too. It was straight ahead but with the front facing left if I remember.

I hope they show a better feed on it than what I saw when I visited.

I have to say ABT is a great store for browsing. The fish tank alone is worth the trip.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Saw one at the Home Theater Store in Arlington TX. It's huge. Picture looked ok. Don't think they had it set up very well.

Question: Why can't a store that specializes in TVs set them up properly?

It seems like they just take it out of the box, plug it in. stick a feed on it, turn up the contrast, and it's good to go. Plus half the time the aspect ratio is set wrong. How can a salesman, who sells TVs for a living, not notice this?

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Airblair
If anyone in the Bay Area wants to see this beast, it's on display at three of the four Anderson's Big Screen stores, in Concord, Dublin, and Santa Clara.
Thanks for the heads up. I've now seen my first 3-chip LCoS.

It's not only gigantic, it also seems to have a decrotive silver boarder that attaches to it. That must add 5"-6" inches to the overall width.

At about 10' a bright detailed image looked great. Shadow detail in "Finding Nemo" and "The Fifth Element" was the most obvious weakness of the set -- other than cost and bulk.

If I had 18-20k to spend on a system, and a room to put it into, I'd do front projection. Then I would have another TV for watching in a well lighted room.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I think the decorative border can be removed, Les.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I think the decorative border can be removed, Les.
Yes it can. If fact it's "wobbly".

·
Registered
70 Posts
For those in the Chicago area, Sound and Vision in Orland Park has the monster set up, calibrated and looking very impressive.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
This is the new $21K Mit LCOS, capable of 1080p. If they are not running at least 1080i on it, in a protected blackened viewing environment, they are missing the whole point.

But then again, let me backpedal a minute.

As a light-operated device, a darkened room would actually show up its black level limitations more than keeping it as highly set in its contrast as possible, in a normally lit environment. In a light operated reflective-technology device like LCOS, high contrast is not unwelcome, and will not do any screenburn.

If they really want to sell tons of them, they should aim it at the door as you walk in, preferably across a long, long expanse. Then watch you gasp as the picture stays incredibly tight no matter how close you finally wind up in front of it.

Mr Bob

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bob
If they really want to sell tons of them, ...
At four units per ton I wonder if they have reached the two ton level yet? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.