AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn to purchase the diamond set or a 65 vt25 for this distance. Anyone have a seating distance this close? How dim is this set compared to say the samsung led dlp back in 08'? I love my sammy but need a bigger better picture. Should I give this a look or is this not optimal for my viewing distance.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON82ND /forum/post/19639327

I am torn to purchase the diamond set or a 65 vt25 for this distance. Anyone have a seating distance this close? How dim is this set compared to say the samsung led dlp back in 08'? I love my sammy but need a bigger better picture. Should I give this a look or is this not optimal for my viewing distance.

Someone will probably come along with graphs and statistics, but I think it would be fine, especially for 3D. I have a 73" and watch at a similar distance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the feedback. I just noticed in the store how it appeared to get brighter further back than 8'. I know this isn't the proper lighting but how will it compare to my old samsung led style dlp? Also would it be worth the extra screen size vs the plasma pq?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I guess it would depend on what is important to you (or more important than the other). If the best 2D is the most important in terms of PQ then I assume LED or Plasma is the way to go (I'm no expert...just going off what I read here). If 3D is important to you then I would choose the TV that will give me the best experience (no crosstalk, etc), and the largest screen for the immersive effect.

I don't claim to be a an expert, but my opinion based on reading this forum is that plasmas and LED pretty much suffer from some form of crosstalk/ghosting. You will read posts from LED/Plasma owners that state their TVs display ".....minimal", ".....virtually none", etc. All I can say is my Mitsu has zero and the 3D experience is just like going to the theaters.

As far as brightness, I have no idea why it would appear brighter in the store the further back you went. I can tell you that I never thought to myself that I wished my Mits was brighter. I think the PQ is great.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info it is so hard to decide. My wife likes the look of the vt25 which only complicates it further. I am so lostgues it's back to bb to do some more comparingg, it just sucks that it isn't the optimal viewing scenario.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If they have the Mitsu there, play around with the display settings to get a feel for what the PQ is actually like. They probably have it set to "brilliant" with the color cranked up way to high. At home, I have my 738 set to "bright" with the color set to 18-20, and the contrast to 45-50 depending on broadcast content. I am told professional calibration (non-geek squad) makes it even better. See if you can get them to play a Blu-Ray and see how that compares to your old sets.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I will have to do that. Thanks for the help. How does your picture look on standard def channels? It will be my main tv in my living room and want a pretty clean picture it is just hard to tell in stores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts