AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions:

1st - does anyone know of a way to download recorded shows from the Sci Atlantic 8300 HDC?

2nd - I see there have been threads about video quality issues with this DVR, has anyone seen any recent fixes to the known issues posted back in October?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
1) Firewire port if it's active or a capture card in your PC, there is no way to move the files directly off the DVR.

2) No idea, check the recorders section, most of the DVR info is in that section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried the "Copy to VCR" option under the List (List>Recorded List>Select>Copy to VCR)? This will push the video out the OUT2 port (composite I know works, S-Video maybe) on the 8300 HDC. You can capture anything that has a composite (aka "yellow" or RCA) input. I know DVD Recorders also work fine with this. Remember, you cannot offload digital copies of recordings from the 8300HDC, just analog (thru the so-called "analog hole"). You can monitor the progress of the recording by pressing the PIP button. The subscreen will show "Copy to VCR".

Regarding poor quality recordings on 8300HDC, I've seen this myself on 8300HDs. It appears to just affect recordings from analog sources (channels usually below 100 on channel map) with digital working fine. The analog recording looks pixilated and colors all smeared together. Sometimes hard-booting the 8300 fixes the problem, other times you can wait a couple of days and it will straighten itself out. No good answer from SA regarding this problem. My recommendation is to hardboot the DVR once every couple of weeks (use Vol+/Vol-/Info from panel to keep from having to muck around with power cables). This seems to keep the STB running much more smoothly. There is also a remote control procedure to reboot. Email me if you are interested ([email protected]). To answer your question, when everyhing is working correctly, you should not be able to tell from video quality whether you are live or Memorex (apologies to anyone not old enough to get this reference). They should look exactly the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts