AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wireless member
27,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm not a noob to home theater, I'm a noob to the HDTV Recorders & Players forum. I'm also a new 8300HD/Passport "lessor", which is what brings me here. I've been researching the interfaces on my box to see how I can record/archive hi-def movies. Tell me if I've got this straight:

The Firewire interface - in most cases - works, but outputs the raw stream. So capturing to a computer is possible, but encryption would prevent me from playing the movies.

The SATA interface doesn't (yet) work on Passport, but when it does, I can only attach a single hard drive; nobody has successfully connected a RAID yet.

Do I have these points correct?

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
I may be wrong here, since I've only seen SA8300 with SARA software (where the SATA interface IS enabled and available)... but I don't believe the firewire ports are active and enabled on any SA8300, from any cable carrier and with any software.

·
Wireless member
27,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Firewire is active on the very latest SARA firmware, but it sounds like no one has had any luck recording from it yet. I think Cablevision and Adelphia are the only ones I've heard that have deployed it.

External SATA, corrrect, single drive only. Not active on Passport yet.

·
Wireless member
27,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370
Firewire is active on the very latest SARA firmware, but it sounds like no one has had any luck recording from it yet. I think Cablevision and Adelphia are the only ones I've heard that have deployed it.

External SATA, corrrect, single drive only. Not active on Passport yet.
Here is a Silicon Image product that technically would work; it connects directly to an SATA host, which the 8300HD has. It's $3300, which is unreasonable. But at least it demonstrates that it can be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.