AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night (sunday) All the shows I recorded (HBO and an encore) have lots of pixelation (screen breaking up a couple times a minute)

Did other people get a lot of that or is it as I suspect a problem with my box?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Check to make sure you have a good connection (no loose connectors on the coax line) and make sure you have a splitter that will pass digital signal properly, or don't have any unnecessary splitters in line. (be sure all splitters are 2000 MHZ or above) If that is all good, I would have your cable provider come out and check out the signal quality.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I traded the box in and will see what that does since it was ONLY happenning on playback (not on direct viewing) I suspect a hard drive or other issue and most of all, I want to avoid switching boxes after I start recording more stuff.

I will also be sure to check the splitters (Unfortunately, the way the house is wired gives a couple splits but the splitters being used are from the cable company and I have an amp from them and and excellent signal with perfect picture.

1 last item; When they checked the box for a signal test while on the phone, they said both my boxes got a fail on the "transmit" test BUT he didn't know what that meant etc... so setup a service call for that next week. I will cancel it if the new box solved the problem anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostacaster
Check to make sure you have a good connection (no loose connectors on the coax line) and make sure you have a splitter that will pass digital signal properly, or don't have any unnecessary splitters in line. (be sure all splitters are 2000 MHZ or above) If that is all good, I would have your cable provider come out and check out the signal quality.

·
Registered
224 Posts
On the "failed to transmit" issue:

Do you have your cable box isolated through a surge protector of any type? If so, some surge protectors do not allow for a power pass which will give you problems with on-demand service or PPV...basically failing to transmit information to the cable provider. If you have a surge, try running the coax through the "satellite" portion of the surge,(common among monster power centers) or just bypass the surge completely. I have had issues with Comcast and Everest cable in KC doing just that problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do NOT have any type surge etc.. EXCEPT possibly the cable company hooked up amp? It is on the feed wire as it comes in the house. I am not particularly interested in on-demand or PPV so I don't really care at this point UNLESS it effects the signal etc... So far so good with the new box but need more time get actual recordings going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostacaster
On the "failed to transmit" issue:

Do you have your cable box isolated through a surge protector of any type? If so, some surge protectors do not allow for a power pass which will give you problems with on-demand service or PPV...basically failing to transmit information to the cable provider. If you have a surge, try running the coax through the "satellite" portion of the surge,(common among monster power centers) or just bypass the surge completely. I have had issues with Comcast and Everest cable in KC doing just that problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.