AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started getting incomplete recordings with my 8300HDC. I can see that Time Warner upgraded software on the box a few weeks ago and since then, some of my series recordings only record partially. The show might only record for 1 minute or it can record 15 minutes and then it stops. Last night for example, I saw the record light on from 9:30 to 10:00. I had the box and TV off. After the light went out, I turned everything on and saw that only 7 minutes had been recorded. I called Time Warner and the guy who I spoke to hasn't heard of this before and his only suggestion was to reboot (which I did) or send over a tech (which I am trying to avoid). Since then I deleted the series and re-added it thinking that would fix it. It hasn't. It only happens on a few of the series. I have over 15 series scheduled and several shows that I haven't watched yet recorded so I would hate to have to replace the box. Any ideas?

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrralan /forum/post/15447521

I recently started getting incomplete recordings with my 8300HDC. I can see that Time Warner upgraded software on the box a few weeks ago and since then, some of my series recordings only record partially. The show might only record for 1 minute or it can record 15 minutes and then it stops. Last night for example, I saw the record light on from 9:30 to 10:00. I had the box and TV off. After the light went out, I turned everything on and saw that only 7 minutes had been recorded. I called Time Warner and the guy who I spoke to hasn't heard of this before and his only suggestion was to reboot (which I did) or send over a tech (which I am trying to avoid). Since then I deleted the series and re-added it thinking that would fix it. It hasn't. It only happens on a few of the series. I have over 15 series scheduled and several shows that I haven't watched yet recorded so I would hate to have to replace the box. Any ideas?

How much space is left on your box. If you are out of Hard Drive space (or low on it), you will experience what you are speaking of.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Time Warner again and the rep said she will refresh the box. I asked her if a refresh was different than a reboot and she said yes although she couldn't explain what the difference is. The problem still occurs. It seems to happen only on the same few shows. Has this happened to anyone else? What is the latest version of the Navigator software? How can I find out the signal strength from the diagnostisc screens?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last night I recorded a show and when I went to watch it today, I had several recordings of the same show; and ten of my saved recording were gone. Each of the same recordings were exactly an hour long, according to the List menu. I was so upset that I had lost ten of my saved recordings that I just deleted the duplicate recordings without actually checking the real time. I was only at 60% full. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It's not an issue with the hard drive, it's the box itself. I have this problem time and time again, and it shows that it's recording your show but when it's done recording...it's completely deleted or it shows that it only recorded the first few minutes of the show EVEN when you set it to record it for the length of time it aired. I have 760GB on my DVR and it STILL happens, even after re-booting it SEVERAL times. Is it just me or do these only happen when they're hour long programs or longer? Only way to solve the problem is to get a completely new box or a different model

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
I have a SA-8300HD (not C). It runs on SARA.

I set all my shows to not delete regardless of DVR. If you have them to delete (or only save x number) then you are asking for trouble, imo.

For the first time in about 2 years, I DID have duplicate recordings on Monday Night of Two and a Half Men and Worst Week, 2.4 Men was 31 minutes and Worst Week was 29 Minutes.

I did confirm that both were actual programs and not a duplicate listing in the Contents. I usually have both tuners recording seperate programming at the same time (which might explain why it happens almost never) but did not on Monday Evening at 9p-10p which may explain how it recorded 2 of the same shows technically, though not software wise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I checked all of my settings. All timer settings were set to off and I set them all to "Until I Erase" and they still get deleted.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic4andi /forum/post/15563716

I checked all of my settings. All timer settings were set to off and I set them all to "Until I Erase" and they still get deleted.

I have mine set until i delete and record all (are you sure you don't have keep x number of episodes instead of all?).

I can assure you it will not delete them if you have save until i delete and keep all, it will not erase anything - as i have run out of space far too many times to know otherwise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm absolutely sure I have it set to "All Episodes" and "Until I Delete". It will just randomly not record scheduled recordings, delete it after it airs, keep a set of minutes recorded (even if it shows it's recording the entire airing) or when I play it, it's blank. I am sure it's a software issue or the DVR itself, because I added a 500gb external to it and I'm still having issues with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought it might be an issue with the Series recording. It is happening on a couple 1 hour series and a couple 30 min series. I deleted the series and just found the shows in the guide and select record this show as a test. Last night one of the shows showed 9:00 PM - 9:00 PM. It got less than a minute of it. Another showed 12:00 AM - 12:39 AM. It always seems to be on 1 channel for me and just 4 shows on this channel. However, I am not recording a ton of stuff on other channels. Be sure to report these incomplete recordings to your cable company. Hopefully after enough complaints they will expedite a fix.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had that problem on my 8300 HDC after about 2 months I had to get it replaced (copied everything to VCR first) after that it has been fine except for 2 times, the December episode of Fringe was recording and watching and it kinda skipped while watching it, I fell asleep a little later, and everything after it had skipped wasn't recorded. And just last week MLK weekend (out of town 8 hours recoded 2 were HD and had less than 70% of the DVR used when I returned) I had set up a recording of Code Geass on Cartoon Network Adult Swim (all shows at any time due to the fact all anime on Adult Swim keeps moving) and it never got recorded I also had anther show on that channel Moribito set the same way well Moribito stopped being show and Code Geass was moved to where it had been showing, I didn't change anything this week and it worked fine.

There are 2 things that really bothers me about the 8300 HDC, its much slower to respond than the 8300 without the Cable Card and every once in a while when your trying to find out whats on it won't move but if you kept pressing the button after it starts to move again it moves as many times as you pressed the button. The one that bothers me the most is at 3:00 AM if you are watching a recording it flashes black and pauses, all you have to do is press play again but it annoying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To get the software version info..

1) Hold the SEL down until an envelope icon flashes in the display.

2) Press the down arrow.

I have...

Bootstrapper Version 3.0.0_15

Network Version 3.1.0_7

Monitor Version 3.1.0_7

ODN Version 3.1.0_11

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also have an incomplete recording with one of the 8300HD (which recently replaced my 8300HDC)

It appears that when I unplugged the external drive, everything is OK. With the external drive plugged in, I get only a few minutes of the recording.

It's interesting that while the show is being recorded and the TV is on, the yellow indicator bar appears to go all the way to the end of the show. However, on replay there's only a few minutes of the show recorded. This happens with 3 of my external drives.

BTW, my 2 other 8300HD with external HDD works fine. My OS is Mystro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, my DVR seems to only delete the programs that are stored on an external hard drive. So I just unplugged it permanently. However, I still have the blue-screen problems and "this channel is not available" messages. Also, if I record a program to "All Episodes" and put it 2 minutes ahead or two minutes after...a week later it will change back to on time; so I miss the first few minutes of a show when it begins early.

And about the software info, I never saw the envelope icon appear...does this only work on the 8300HD?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has a fix been discovered for this problem yet? I still get incomplete recordings. Some are only 3 minutes, some are 15 minutes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same problem. I've noticed it on AMC HD movies (getting to be my favorite HD channel), only recording about 15 min. of the movie.

Even if the box is 90 percent full, it should delete older offerings to make room for the new recording.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts