AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if the 8300HDC (comcast) is broken or just needs to be configured properly. But as I understood it (and this is the way it worked with my old 8300) as you are watching TV it is recording whay you are watching, if you want to go back you just hit rewind. But with this 8300HDC if you hit the rewind key it acts like it just started recording and only records from the point the rewind key was hit. Do I have a broken one, or just something that needs to be set up.

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
This limitation is specific to the [cheap] SARA software used on many Scientific Atlanta DVRs. I agree that it makes no sense with digital simulcast.

It could be SA's attempt to avoid infringement of TiVo patents.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am confused why would the old one work and not this one? And also why would it start recording "live" tv only when a DVR button is pushed?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner /forum/post/12884846

I am confused why would the old one work and not this one? And also why would it start recording "live" tv only when a DVR button is pushed?

When I had the SA8300HD, it didn't buffer until I pressed a DVR function such as replay, pause, or rewind. That's the way that all the SA DVRs with SARA worked in the past. Admittedly, I have not has a SA DVR in my home for about a year.

If you are certain your SA8300HD buffered all content by default, then it sounds like the 8300HDC is using an older version of the software, similar to what I had on my Comcast SA8300HD about a year ago.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems that if I change the channel the buffer starts up. I wonder if this is a bug with the software (one would think the 8300HDC has new software). I guess I will search around and see if others have problem with their buffer.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
ct,

I've never had a problem with my 8300 buffering the current program, from the time I tune to a channel to the current time, and I've had mine for 3.5 years now through 4 software versions. Cox here only released selected upgrades though, so experience with other cableco's might have been totally different, as in bfdtv's case.

The HDCs did get new software, version 1.90.x.x, but that doesn't mean they didn't introduce new errors or aren't having problems with cablecards. I haven't been keeping up with the HDC, but I seem to recall reading about this problem in one of the 8300 threads, probably the Tips thread. I don't remember how long ago though or what the workaround was, if any. I do know some folks have traded in their 2 standard cablecards for the newer M-Card and some problems have gone away.

In any event, you're always better off posting a question like this in one of the 8300 threads vs starting a new thread, you'll get a lot more views and more suggestions/comments.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner /forum/post/12884573

I am not sure if the 8300HDC (comcast) is broken or just needs to be configured properly. But as I understood it (and this is the way it worked with my old 8300) as you are watching TV it is recording whay you are watching, if you want to go back you just hit rewind. But with this 8300HDC if you hit the rewind key it acts like it just started recording and only records from the point the rewind key was hit. Do I have a broken one, or just something that needs to be set up.

Thanks for any responses.

You should specify what DVR software that you are using (i.e. SARA, Passport, or Navigator) and what version. I have seen this problem posted in one of the other threads, so I don't think your 8300HDC is broken or configured improperly. I think it is a bug in the software. One workaround is to press the rewind key whenever you change channels and want to be able to use the rewind feature. I think the thread where it was mentioned was the Navigator thread but the bug was in SARA, but I am not positive since it has been a while since I read about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had random occurances with this issue.

I am a TWC Austin, TX customer. Running a SA 8300HDC.

SARA: 1.90.5.106

1 - 8 of 8 Posts