AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all- I have been coming to this forum for advice/buying tips for a while and have read a ton of the posts inregards to DIY screen choices. Here is may layout and issues. Any helps is GREATLY appreciated.

Room is in the basement. I bought a house with the wiring all set up so now trying to use it without spending thousands...

1-Total light control. Varying lights around but all on dimmers. it is a long narrow room with screen at one end and then other entertainment areas behind it. So lights may b e on behind screen but a ways off.

2- 8350 is the choice due to zoom needs for prewired room. Screen can be maz width of a[[rpx 96" due to preconfigured molding.

3- I have a toddler... it seems to me like a laminate (DW or FG based on all the other posts I have read would be ideal but open to suggestions...)

4- HOWEVER- the wall is wired and has speaker grates where the screen is to go.... Now a cheap screen that will not have moire issues and let sound thorugh would be great- but I have yet to learn of one, especially DIY. An invisible system would be nice... but I also already have nice floor tower speakers so hate to try to explain an expensive screen and new speakers to an otherwise very reasonable wife(I lucked out but not pushing my luck!)

I live in upsate NY. Its getting cold and dark and would love to get this thing going now I just need some advice! I am competant enough to build a frame for laminate etc and would probably use MDF strips to reduce expansion contraction issues.

THANKS!

Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy....

Well M-Man. Thank you very much for the reply. I guess because I was resigned to a non-AT screen I wasn't looking very hard. Everything I had found was the woven or Perf material.... but Spandex....

Never thought spandex could look so good on something so wide...

I am intrigued and yet that means a "cheaper" screen then some of the items I was looking into but also means I need to buy some in wall speakers. Not a problem with me, but may have to soft sell the idea with the wife.

So in a light controled room with a screen that won't be completely flush to teh wall and with speaker grills back there should I do the 2 layers of spandex (grey/silver on front the white behind) or would one layer of spandex (White I would guess with the 8350 on a low lamp setting) with the wall and grills painted black be the best?

I love the idea, its just now I have more options when I was looking for fewer... although the spandex seems like it has great potential!!! Maybe that is my only option now!

Would 2 layers of spandex start to interfer with the sound at all do you think? Seems like it may start 2 with two layers.

Thanks again for the fabulous idea. I love the excercise of making a theater room without spending thousands (because then there would be no thater room....)

Edit- If wife doesn't go for In wall speakers would WA-DW be the best solution for a year or so until I can get the inwall. I am a little worried because its a light controled environment but with light colored walls and ceiling. Would the Fashion Grey be better?

From a previous post...

Quote:
07-18-10, 03:11 PM #3 | Link

Red Rover

Posts: 38 Can speakers be placed behind the spandex material?

Red Rover

View Public Profile

Find More Posts by Red Rover

View User's Ads

07-18-10, 04:00 PM #4 | Link

MississippiMan

DIY Granddad(w/help)

AVS GOLD CLUB MEMBER

Posts: 8,049 Yes...quite effectively...and without any determinable attenuation or Frequency Comb Filtering. Is there ANY difference between the sound as originally produced and the sound that exits out the "Screen side"? Probably, but not to where you, I, or anyone else on this Planet could tell without using sensitive measuring equipment. Not so with most every true AT screen, many of which are far from being truly "AT".

The Spandex is a far less dense material than any other known "Perforated" or "Woven" AT Screen material.

The latter might not be a popular thing to suggest to those who spend depressingly large sums of cash on AT Screens. But as in so many other things "DIY", often what we come up with flies directly in the Face of conventional thinking....and spending. Yet "Oops"....it often turns out "as good" or "Mo Bedder" than the "Mfg product" anyway! And THAT is always so very

The real issue at hand is "DIY'ism" and if such can be considered a viable alternative to those who are too easily convinced by Sales hype that spending more means getting better. We do continue to convert some of those misguided souls, and turn them into staunch advocates though.

In all fairness, many of us do tend to kinda hype DIY solutions, but since they are not "Sold", there is where the "Hype" becomes well intended good advice...not a sales pitch. besides that, all of us DIY'erites are mightily proud of what we accomplish...on a "Dime against a Dollar" budget.

To quote James T. Kirk;

"I'm laughing at your superior intellect"

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Purchased some supplys to start the screen building this weekend. I am building it mainly out of poplar. The idea now is to buy some spandex in white and any samples of similar greys or greyish silver's(if that exists)

8350 will be here this weekend so hopefully can get it fired up and test out the spandex. If that fails or I think I can do better then the plan now is to get a sheet of DW and then paint it if needed I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to Joanns tomorrow and using a 40% coupon to buy some white spandex as a trial run. I think I will have to double layer it though as I think it will still be an inch or so off the wall. Will try to post some pics as the build progresses.

spandex is cheap... The scary part is I might go shopping for the spandex with my mother in law. Ohh the fun I could have with that awkward situiation!

8350 is here and am very excited about trying it out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.