AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the pending release of the new kid on the block in DVD players, I decided to give the 8500 a try. After some fiddling, I got it to do 1360x1024 with Powerstrip. I then loaded WinDVD 3.0 and took a look.

The Good:

There is definitely more detail and the colors seem more natural. It seems to be set up well out of the box, (gamma, etc.).

The Bad:

There isn't much in the way of overlay control. The sliders in WinDVD do have a minimal effect though. This should be rendered moot when I get the new player, (can't wait!).

The Ugly:

This board is noisy! It was impossible to get the phase noise completely out of the D-ILA display. Also, when I dragged the mouse, the phase went crazy.

My guess is that the clock chip is not adequately filtered. This noise IS manifested in the picture. I don't think that the new player can do anything to solve this.

Could it be a noisy motherboard, (ASUS CUSL-2)? True, but the Elsa Gladiac GTS-2 does not do this even with it's EMI filters bypassed. I am running out of time today but I will likely scope the board and see what can be done in the way of filtering additions.

KBK, you may have a whole new line of cards to modify! :D

Will I keep the board? Probably, but it's not a slam-dnk dicision. I think that I can solve the noise issue. If that's the case then, with the new player, it should be a real killer performer.

Anyone else have coments to add?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Phil

I installed my 8500 in a new machine-P3 1GHz, Asus CUEP2-M(micro version of CUSL-2), 512 Mb, HiPix, I/Omega PCVCR, M-Audio Audiophile. I didn't tested the 8500 yet because of the DVI cable I ordered(not received yet).I'll connect 8500 to DVI of LP 350 and I'll see.

BTW how you will solve the noise issue on 8500?I really don't now anything about it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drivers that come on the CD work fine.

I tried Dscaler on it and I think it was a disaster. I'll have to do more testing to be sure but the phase noise was really apparent on Dscaler even with every filter checked.

Now I have a catch-22. If I do some mods to the card to try to quiet it, I can't return it. Yet leaving it alone is not, in my personal opinion, a viable option.

Note: Those with CRT's may not notice any issues since a little clock jitter doesn't really do anything. However with 'pixel perfect' digital displays, it's a disaster in my opinion.

I think that I will wait until I get my copy of TheaterTek and see how much difference there is between my Elsa Gladiac and the 8500. If it's not much, the card goes back. If it is, I'll bite the bullet and mod the card, (or try to talk KBK into it! :D )

Hasn't anyone else looked at this on digital displays?

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.