AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had picked up a passive HS to glue to a 7500 (others have done this without ill effect) now I wil be putting a 8500 in I was wondering if anyone has done this...

The HS is a generic video card HS solution (zalman) and does not give any hint as to compatible cards and or operating temperatures...

Any idea ??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

I'm currently running my 8500LE with the fan disconnect (using the standard heatsink). But keep in mind not running any games and would not dare to do it. This is just a temporary solution until I get the zalman copper heatsink I have on order. With the fan disconnected and under normal use the heatsink is barely warm to the touch.

idealcrash

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thats nice to hear... Looks like the Zalman may rob me of a PCI but give me some peace and quiet :) !!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi PP:

___Even thought the stock ATI GPU F/HS combination is about the poorest excuse for a GPU cooling solution I have seen, it does work for the higher frequency retails under all conditions. Pulling the fan and running some 3D gaming loops however is something I would not do either unless I had brought that core down to at maybe the no-name OEM “LE’s†at maybe 230 MHz or so. Even that scares me some but many have used the Zalman Copper at that frequency on a 7500 with no ill effects. If you do need a decent cooling solution although with an audible fan, the ThermalTake Crystal Orb’s modded for 5-V operation will do the job better than the stock GPU F/HS and are a bit quieter but are not passive like the Zalman cooler is … I just don’t like running a hot card with no forced cooling is all but YMMV.

___In the mean time, I have an 8500 on order as well so hopefully ATI will release the “Cliff approved drivers™†very soon. I have a few 5-V modded Crystal Orb’s awaiting the looped gaming benches and personally, I cannot wait ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thanks for the feedback xcel...

I have been toying with the idea of getting high quality heatsinks for both my 8500DV and my P4 2.0A, removing the fans and using ducting from either a large, low RPM case fan or directly from the 2nd PS fan (modified with a low noise fan of course)....

I'm sure some of you have played around with ducting... does anyone think this would work? If so, what size fan would I need and at what RPM?

Basically I want to use as few fans as possible in my case.... like everyone else here :D

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,942 Posts
I replace the video fan with one from PC Power and cooling.

These fans keep it cool but make almost no noise.

-- Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.