Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help!!!!

I got my AIW 8500DV installed (or so I thought) but when I double checked I noticed that the firewire controller is not working. In device manager it says that the device cannot start (code 10). Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how in the world do you fix it?

I am running an athlon 1800 on a Shuttle AK31 V3 motherboard.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, as the only reason I bought the 8500DV was for the firewire port, otherwise I would have bought the 7500 and saved some cash.

Thanks,

Russell

·
Registered
299 Posts
Since the board is an AGP board, it has to have a PCI to PCI bridge on the card to allow the 1394 OHCI compliant chip to be seen by the PC. Is the PCI to PCI bridge correctly recognized? Do you have any "yellow bangs" in Device Manager? This is where I would start, because when I had a 8500DV, it worked fine

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,

In device manager I have a "yellow bang" on the 'ieee1394 host controller' with the specific error message 'this device cannot be started'.

I have tried updating drivers, you name it, but every time I uninstall the drivers, windows xp automatically loads new drivers upon start up. I have no idea how to get to generic svga drivers, or how to get this firewire problem solved.

Russell

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just for the heck of it, try going to network connections and see if the firewire connection is recognized and bridged there. If it is there, right click and a repair option is available. I'm not sure what it repairs, but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tawilson,

Thanks for the idea, but no-go. I called ATI about the problem and they had no idea. They had me update my VIA drivers (which didn't help) and then suggested re-installing windows XP Pro! Total PITA, but I did and it still didn't work. Of course, they're help line closes at 7pm ET on the dot, so by the time I got home from work and re-installed windows it was 7:01 (no joke) and the service number was closed. Arghh! The only reason I bought the 8500DV was for the firewire port. Without that it is pointless.

I'm sure someone else has had this problem before, can anyone help?

Thanks,

Russell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.